True Splice = Full Splice?

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Predator advertises "True Splice" construction. Is this the same as a "Full Splice"?
Is it possible to make an eight point full splice or are they all recuts?

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator advertises "True Splice" construction. Is this the same as a "Full Splice"?
Is it possible to make an eight point full splice or are they all recuts?

The road lines I’ve seen are full splice with 4 short splice points in between. If you look closely at the tips of the low points you’ll see a radius. Usually a sign that they are cnc. With that being said that particular design isn’t hard to do traditionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Radius as in "a line segment extending from the center of a circle or sphere to the circumference or bounding surface"?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
no point

Radius as in "a line segment extending from the center of a circle or sphere to the circumference or bounding surface"?

There are ways to get points with NC but I don't know of any production company using them. The smallest practical tools back when I kept up with such things were 0.030. That means that the ends of the cuts will have to have a 0.015 radius or to put it simpler, they will end in a 0.030 half circle, they can't come to a point without some NC magic that isn't usually used in production.

To cut a flat inlay and drop it in a pocket a NC inlay which is what short points are, can't come to a point. While a point doesn't absolutely guarantee it wasn't NC work, a rounded end almost guarantees it was. We could talk about pantegraphs now but I won't! Can never say never in the machine world, only most likely!

Hu