How would you handle this situation..

millcityfats

Hit high & draw it back
The story pretty much comes down to my buddy playing a gentleman for $500 in races to 5 8-ball. The guy eventually runs out of money ($1,500 later)... offers up his Sheldon Lebow cue to my buddies $200... he agrees. My buddy takes him 5-3 in the last set... The gentleman calmly breaks down his cue... then does something NO ONE expected... proceeded to swing the butt of the cue as hard as he could onto the rail of the table.. then bolts from the bar.. leaving the cue pretty much toast, and the rail of the table. The bartender immediately calls the police, they come and the bartender (who seen nothing) proceeds to tell the Police my buddy was mad that he lost and slammed his cue into the table damaging it.. now the bar owner is suing him for the damages to the table.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably laugh. What else are you gonna do?

Sounds pretty good for the winner, bad for the losers.

millcityfats

Hit high & draw it back
Cameras? Witnesses?
No camera on the table as it's considered "the money table" from what I understood. Witness' none that I am aware of. Someone did say the guy has a girl with him, but I think she was busy on the lottery machines. All of this makes me think the bar owner is in on something.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Stuff like this is precisely why I quit gambling on this beautiful game 20 years ago...sometimes, even when you win you lose!

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The story pretty much comes down to my buddy playing a gentleman for $500 in races to 5 8-ball. The guy eventually runs out of money ($1,500 later)... offers up his Sheldon Lebow cue to my buddies $200... he agrees. My buddy takes him 5-3 in the last set... The gentleman calmly breaks down his cue... then does something NO ONE expected... proceeded to swing the butt of the cue as hard as he could onto the rail of the table.. then bolts from the bar.. leaving the cue pretty much toast, and the rail of the table. The bartender immediately calls the police, they come and the bartender (who seen nothing) proceeds to tell the Police my buddy was mad that he lost and slammed his cue into the table damaging it.. now the bar owner is suing him for the damages to the table.

Well thats not what happen(what the bartender said),you r ur friends witness, hopefully there was another person in the bar when this went down,if so u have to talk to them and see if they witnessed what really happen and then proceed from there,if u r the only witness that should b good enough to prove thar your friend did not do the damage,plus make sure you guys keep that guys pool cue that did the damage,maybe that can prove ur friends innocents!

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happens all the time on Judge Judy....

......as Judge Judy would say: " Proof....Evidence....Otherwise don't waste the Court's time! ............

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think your buddy has to prove he didn't do it, the burden of proof should be on the bar to prove he was responsible.

millcityfats

Hit high & draw it back
I don't think your buddy has to prove he didn't do it, the burden of proof should be on the bar to prove he was responsible.
And that's where things get sketchy.. the bartender is SAYING she SAW my buddy purposely slam the butt of his cue into the rail.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And anyway- your buddy won 1500. Would it possibly be worth the hassle for him to offer 500$ and no admission of involvement as a full/ final settlement.

Gets the problem resolved real quick-like.

Sad but true.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And that's where things get sketchy.. the bartender is SAYING she SAW my buddy purposely slam the butt of his cue into the rail.

So the slippery dude just vanished? Nobody knew him?

Wish that mufuker would come around here and lose 1500 to me...

RyanTheImpaler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What did the police report say?

If the police report says only the story of the Bar owner and they had your buddy arrested that night, the magic 8 ball points to "Screwed!" If there is a police report that says both sides of the story, the bar owners and your's as outlined above, then there is a little room for interpretation. If there is no police report and it simply was a case where the bar owner found your buddy's address and had some lawyer file paperwork in the courts, tell your buddy to lawyer up because the lawyer would have a field day with the whole scenario. If there is a police report and there is the actual quote from the bar owner reading he, "did not see a thing.", a seasoned lawyer would fillet the bar owner on the stand effortlessly. Go for a judge trial and not a jury trial if it goes that far. The last time I checked, 12 people in a room who have no grasp on reality let alone law will not make the right choices when pressed to do so.
Hope this helps.
Ryan

Thunderball

Auto rep for belly laughs
Silver Member

This is the very real part part of the problem. This "witness" has the very real potential of making this an expensive situation.

Not sure what to do from here, but if everything you say is true, I would want to beat that ass. Not saying you buddy should, or even that I would, but I would very much want to lol.

Lawsuit aside, that's a nutty story. Wow....who does that?

millcityfats

Hit high & draw it back
This is the very real part part of the problem. This "witness" has the very real potential of making this an expensive situation.

Not sure what to do from here, but if everything you say is true, I would want to beat that ass. Not saying you buddy should, or even that I would, but I would very much want to lol.

Lawsuit aside, that's a nutty story. Wow....who does that?
I was in Awe he took a $3,000 Ivory loaded Sheldon Lebow and just wrecked it.. then ran off. I don't know if this guy had a history of making bets and bailing or what. And believe me the thought of chasing him down to beat that ass was thought of more than once. I've asked around town and pool halls if he sounded familiar and one gentleman did say he remembers a guy from Washington state coming down looking for action that used a cue very similar to what I described. Never gave a name, nickname or anything. Just asked for action, no one knew him so they didn't bite and he simply left.

Thunderball

Auto rep for belly laughs
Silver Member
I was in Awe he took a $3,000 Ivory loaded Sheldon Lebow and just wrecked it.. then ran off. I don't know if this guy had a history of making bets and bailing or what. And believe me the thought of chasing him down to beat that ass was thought of more than once. I've asked around town and pool halls if he sounded familiar and one gentleman did say he remembers a guy from Washington state coming down looking for action that used a cue very similar to what I described. Never gave a name, nickname or anything. Just asked for action, no one knew him so they didn't bite and he simply left.

I was refering to the bartender. His interpretation of the events seems purposeful....and wrong.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Your friend played 4 sets (race to five) of 8-ball. Are you telling me the bartender never once saw this other man in there playing? Nor did anyone else for that matter?

And, could not this bartender see the man making a mad dash for the entrance?

Using basic common sense reasoning, why would a man smash his cue, damaging it and a pool table, then stand there and wait for the bartender to accuse him? Clearly common sense should have told the bartender that the man that made the mad dash for the door was the guilty party. If she didn't see the other man OR see him leave, surely she wouldn't think that some guy banging a few balls around by himself would smash the livin' sh*t out of his very expensive custom cue for any reason, right?

All I can say to the bartender is: If you allow gambling but don't have a camera on that one table because of it, you should be S.O.L. as far as I'm concerned. Gambling on pool (between two players) is not even a crime in almost every state.

I don't think this case would stand up in a court of law (her word against mine).

I wouldn't play pool in this bar any more.

Maniac (sees and hears of way too much CRAP in the pool world!!! :()

daylate$short

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Table?

So, what was it, a restored 1919 Brunswick, or a 1990 Valley? How much damage can one swing with cue do? :confused:

Charlie

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No camera on the table as it's considered "the money table" from what I understood. Witness' none that I am aware of. Someone did say the guy has a girl with him, but I think she was busy on the lottery machines. All of this makes me think the bar owner is in on something.

that's my take. Sounds like they are in on it together. Only logical explanation