Odd problem today...

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
On a cue where I'm adapting an old shaft to a new joint I ran into an weird error that I can't figure out.

I THOUGHT I had fitted the joint collar on the shaft correctly and left it oversize,so I can later fit it to the joint in the butt.

What I found when I started working on it was that for whatever reason,one side of the joint collar was still flush with the wood,the other side had backed off bad enough that there was a visible,nasty glue line that was filled with epoxy.

There was no way to fix it as it,so I cut the bad collar off and replaced it,so the problem is fixed,but since this is the first time I've ever seen this,I'm still scratching my head.

My best guess is too much epoxy in between the wood and the collar,but if I'm wrong say so LOL. Tommy D.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A question from the cheap seats.

Do you guys really do stuff like this at 2:17 AM?

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make sure the thread is concentric in the collar to start with,, so the threading operation is done at the same time as the outer reference. Also face the end, and make the faced end, the glue side, then part off the collar. Check that the thread on the handle is also concentric, and the glue shoulder face is true to the run of the thread. Yes you need somewhere for the excess glue to go, so that you can not hydraulic the parts.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Could be a number of reasons, but whatever the cause you didn't have the collar seated to begin with. Could have been debris, a slight shoulder left where the face meets the tenon, etc. I always dry fit and look everything over well before applying glue.