Orcollo might try to beat the 626 record

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree!

Timing is key here and i think now would be a good time for him to try again "if" he cares to.

I completely understand if he doesn't because its a lot of work.

A ton of work, which is why top tier pros aren't beating their door down to "try".
The other thing to consider for John is whether his sponsors for the 626 would be happy for it to be broken by anyone including John.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I dont think its disrespectful at all
The people Thinking its disrespectful must feel there's a solid chance someone could do it with prize money waiting on the end

I think its a really good thing for billiards in general

That’s been my view point since the 626 got ran...
...I hope everybody in the world takes a crack at it.

I’ll be too busy myself....I’ve been occupied trying to find a word that rhymes with ‘month’

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The other thing to consider for John is whether his sponsors for the 626 would be happy for it to be broken by anyone including John.

Good point!

Theres always a better way to look at something. We just have to be willing to change our "point of view" ...... to "see" it.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
Im talking about the knowledge of knowing what to do to keep the run going long enough to reach 500+ much less 626.

If you think it doesn't require a TON of 14.1 SPECIFIC knowledge, well, your misguided my friend.

Jeff

I’ve tried to be respectful about this in previous posts, but you’re seriously over-hyping the knowledge involved in 14.1. If Filler, a 20 year old kid who has spent most of his very short career playing rotation games, can knock in 260, he can knock in 500+. As you mentioned in the same post I quoted, it would just be a matter of application of time.

I’m still waiting for an example of straight pool knowledge that isn’t obvious to any experienced player of cue sports.

For example, there’s a bunch of stuff in English billiards that requires someone to teach you, or years of experience to learn. Let’s say a snooker player makes a hundred break in English billiards by potting 14 reds, playing a few cannons and a couple of in-offs, then pots another 14 reds. And that’s all they know about billiards. There’s no way they could make a 500 break. There’s no way they could play top of the table. There’s no way they could play nursery cannons. You have to have incredible touch to control nursery cannons, using side to control the position of the balls on shots that only move the balls a centimeter or two. You have to know how to recover when you lose the white ball in top of the table. You have to know a multitude of standard shots to play losing hazards while working towards a specific goal.

My point is, English billiards has a number of mechanics and positional techniques that are different enough from other cue sports that they require very specific knowledge and experience. What do you need to know to run a bunch of balls in straight pool? Can a very skilled player play precise position? Can a very skilled player break open clusters? Of course they can. Can a skilled player realize that going into the side of the pack with a bunch of draw is going to pull the cueball back to the headstring away from the pack? Of course they can.

Can a very skilled player knock in 500+ whenever they want? Of course they can’t, and neither could Mosconi or Schmidt because as you stated, it requires time. Not only that, it requires a certain amount of luck. And of course, it requires positional skill and potting skill, something all top players have. What all top players don’t have is time, and when they do, they’ll also need a run of the balls.

There’s no mysterious 14.1 knowledge stopping a skilled player from knocking in huge runs.

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
I’ve tried to be respectful about this in previous posts, but you’re seriously over-hyping the knowledge involved in 14.1. If Filler, a 20 year old kid who has spent most of his very short career playing rotation games, can knock in 260, he can knock in 500+. As you mentioned in the same post I quoted, it would just be a matter of application of time.

I’m still waiting for an example of straight pool knowledge that isn’t obvious to any experienced player of cue sports.

For example, there’s a bunch of stuff in English billiards that requires someone to teach you, or years of experience to learn. Let’s say a snooker player makes a hundred break in English billiards by potting 14 reds, playing a few cannons and a couple of in-offs, then pots another 14 reds. And that’s all they know about billiards. There’s no way they could make a 500 break. There’s no way they could play top of the table. There’s no way they could play nursery cannons. You have to have incredible touch to control nursery cannons, using side to control the position of the balls on shots that only move the balls a centimeter or two. You have to know how to recover when you lose the white ball in top of the table. You have to know a multitude of standard shots to play losing hazards while working towards a specific goal.

My point is, English billiards has a number of mechanics and positional techniques that are different enough from other cue sports that they require very specific knowledge and experience. What do you need to know to run a bunch of balls in straight pool? Can a very skilled player play precise position? Can a very skilled player break open clusters? Of course they can. Can a skilled player realize that going into the side of the pack with a bunch of draw is going to pull the cueball back to the headstring away from the pack? Of course they can.

Can a very skilled player knock in 500+ whenever they want? Of course they can’t, and neither could Mosconi or Schmidt because as you stated, it requires time. Not only that, it requires a certain amount of luck. And of course, it requires positional skill and potting skill, something all top players have. What all top players don’t have is time, and when they do, they’ll also need a run of the balls.

There’s no mysterious 14.1 knowledge stopping a skilled player from knocking in huge runs.

Give it up :grin:. He post just to post.
We all know it's super secretive knowledge, and nobody but John has it.

Shuddy

Silver Member
Give it up :grin:. He post just to post.
We all know it's super secretive knowledge, and nobody but John has it.

It’s frustrating because it’s almost disrespecting John’s effort by attempting to embellish his achievement. It doesn’t need embellishing. 626 is ridiculous. To maintain positional play and potting accuracy for 40 racks is insane.

This is what he did for 626 balls: He played zone position for the majority of the shots in the rack. He Identified problem areas on the table and played specific position to deal with those problems. Towards the end of each rack, if he hadn’t done so earlier, he was identified a key ball and break ball. He played excellent positional shots on the key balls and break balls. He executed excellent break shots. He maintained his cueing to pot every ball. He had a bit of luck on his side.

To do that for 626 balls is absolutely nuts. It’s not at all belittling his achievement by suggesting “that’s all” he did. However, let’s not pretend straight pool has a bunch of secret squirrel stuff that only purists know about. You knock balls in, you deal with problem areas, and you execute good break shots (this last part would be impacted most by experience, but a few days of playing break shots from various positions would sort that out).

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
It’s frustrating because it’s almost disrespecting John’s effort by attempting to embellish his achievement. It doesn’t need embellishing. 626 is ridiculous. To maintain positional play and potting accuracy for 40 racks is insane.

This is what he did for 626 balls: He played zone position for the majority of the shots in the rack. He Identified problem areas on the table and played specific position to deal with those problems. Towards the end of each rack, if he hadn’t done so earlier, he was identified a key ball and break ball. He played excellent positional shots on the key balls and break balls. He executed excellent break shots. He maintained his cueing to pot every ball. He had a bit of luck on his side.

To do that for 626 balls is absolutely nuts. It’s not at all belittling his achievement by suggesting “that’s all” he did. However, let’s not pretend straight pool has a bunch of secret squirrel stuff that only purists know about. You knock balls in, you deal with problem areas, and you execute good break shots (this last part would be impacted most by experience, but a few days of playing break shots from various positions would sort that out).

The knowledgeable comes in reading the stack and knowing how it will break open. It’s not just hitting and hoping to get lucky, or even drawing the cue ball out to “hopefully” get shape. He is controlling the outcome throughout where someone without a lot of knowledge in the game would be using the spray and pray more often.

You’re right that there isn’t some mystical knowledge it’s just standard 14.1 knowledge. Knowing what patterns to take, and seeing problems others might not see who haven’t played a lot of straight P. Filler is from Germany...they play straight pool over there. He didn’t just put a 285 on a diadem with his superior shot making and luck.

Shuddy

Silver Member
The knowledgeable comes in reading the stack and knowing how it will break open. It’s not just hitting and hoping to get lucky, or even drawing the cue ball out to “hopefully” get shape. He is controlling the outcome throughout where someone without a lot of knowledge in the game would be using the spray and pray more often.

You’re right that there isn’t some mystical knowledge it’s just standard 14.1 knowledge. Knowing what patterns to take, and seeing problems others might not see who haven’t played a lot of straight P. Filler is from Germany...they play straight pool over there. He didn’t just put a 285 on a diadem with his superior shot making and luck.

I don’t understand what problems could exist that aren’t obvious to any experienced cueist. These three balls are stuck to each other; play a cannon, preferably with a backup ball on. These balls are all blocking pockets; play a cannon, play precise position. The preferred break ball is in or too close to the rack; give it a bump.

I also don’t understand reading the stack. If it’s the break, there’s nothing to read. It’s the same every time. If it’s the cluster after the break shot, okay. But even then you’re looking to go into the pack with a back up ball on for insurance.

None of this is easy to do for 10 racks let alone 40 racks. JS is a beast. I just don’t believe the required knowledge is at all difficult to attain.

Even if we assume Filler has played more 14.1 than rotation (I doubt it), he’s 20 years old. What about Shaw? How much 14.1 do you think he played before knocking in a monster run at DCC?

Part of me feels a little guilty making these claims because I’ve never played straight pool. I’ve played snooker and billiards for 20 years (hundred breaks in both) and a bit of 9 ball (no snooker in Korea) for the past 5 years (5 pack in 9 ball). However, my experience allows me to look at a game like 3 cushion carom and without ever having-payed, know with certainty there is a bunch of knowledge that either needs to be learned or acquired through a lot of experience. When I look at straight pool, I don’t see that.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

When Schmidtty started this quest, quite a while ago, he wasn’t good enough to beat 526.
He was a bit careless and lackadaisical....I could picture Irving Crane and Willie watching
and going “Tsk, tsk.”.....he wasn’t respecting each shot like a great player would.
(I recall Steve Davis in the 80s...he strove to hit the easy shots as well as he could, not
just the tougher ones)
To play great, each shot should be a delight.

The fine thing about this 626....John Schmidt BECAME good enough to do it....
...he didn’t just wait for the law of averages to click in.
His vision of how to run a rack reached a higher level....and his attention span took him
to a place he’s never been.

I think when John finally did it, he realized he’d been good enough to do it all along...
...he just had to use what he already had.

The Zen you find at the top of the mountain....is the Zen you take up there.

Shuddy

Silver Member
When Schmidtty started this quest, quite a while ago, he wasn’t good enough to beat 526.
He was a bit careless and lackadaisical....I could picture Irving Crane and Willie watching
and going “Tsk, tsk.”.....he wasn’t respecting each shot like a great player would.
(I recall Steve Davis in the 80s...he strove to hit the easy shots as well as he could, not
just the tougher ones)

His vision of how to run a rack reached a higher level....and his attention span took him

I think when John finally did it, he realized he’d been good enough to do it all along...

+1. Agreed.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Along with knowing what balls and cue ball to use how they should be polished and how often , What table what cloth , what size of pockets , what temperature and humidity should the room be all things that take yrs to learn ,

As for reading patterns so forth and so on for Filler it's obviously clear he is on another planet than JS is , so it's a assumption that he will need anywhere near the same amount of time to learn what JS has

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Just saw this new post from Buffalo about this guys

View attachment 522223
What's in "poor taste" is that NOBODY set up the challenge when it was Mosconi's record of 526 to break. Now all of a sudden when a guy that all the pros know and play with all of the time in rotation games and 1-pocket breaks the record -- now at least one pro with theoretically more overall skill than John in rotation games and 1-pocket is jumping up and down stating that if John did it, that they can reportedly do it in a week (not sure if this statement is a fact, thus I used the word "reportedly"). It's pure ego that is driving anyone that can't stomach having John hold the record right now instead of Mosconi.

Overall, I do believe that it is good for pool having other players actively trying to break the record. But let's not kid ourselves and deny the reason that is driving other pros to try to break the record at this exact point in time. They were apparently "okay" with Mosconi holding the record, because he was touted as possibly the greatest 14.1 player ever, but little old John holding the record, is just not bearable for some...

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's in "poor taste" is that NOBODY set up the challenge when it was Mosconi's record of 526 to break. Now all of a sudden when a guy that all the pros know and play with all of the time in rotation games and 1-pocket breaks the record -- now at least one pro with theoretically more overall skill than John in rotation games and 1-pocket is jumping up and down stating that if John did it, that they can reportedly do it in a week (not sure if this statement is a fact, thus I used the word "reportedly"). It's pure ego that is driving anyone that can't stomach having John hold the record right now instead of Mosconi.

Overall, I do believe that it is good for pool having other players actively trying to break the record. But let's not kid ourselves and deny the reason that is driving other pros to try to break the record at this exact point in time. They were apparently "okay" with Mosconi holding the record, because he was touted as possibly the greatest 14.1 player ever, but little old John holding the record, is just not bearable for some...

...or more likely....having seen someone break a decades old record, other pro's now see it as something that is actually achievable if they are prepared to put the effort in. It almost certainly has nothing at all to do with whoever holds the record and not wanting them to hold it.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
...or more likely....having seen someone break a decades old record, other pro's now see it as something that is actually achievable if they are prepared to put the effort in. It almost certainly has nothing at all to do with whoever holds the record and not wanting them to hold it.
The reason that I suspect that I'm right, is because even JOHN himself is openly stating that their are other top pros that "could" break the record and John is trying to tell them to give him at least a year in the limelight. I happen to agree with John's line of thinking. If nobody else EVER tried to break the 526, just lay off for a while.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just the tougher ones)

This is what makes straight pool a difficult game, it's tremendously difficult to maintain your focus and intensity while shooting one simple shot after another for rack after rack. You relax just a little and you're out of line for the run.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I don’t understand what problems could exist that aren’t obvious to any experienced cueist. These three balls are stuck to each other; play a cannon, preferably with a backup ball on. These balls are all blocking pockets; play a cannon, play precise position. The preferred break ball is in or too close to the rack; give it a bump.

I also don’t understand reading the stack. If it’s the break, there’s nothing to read. It’s the same every time. If it’s the cluster after the break shot, okay. But even then you’re looking to go into the pack with a back up ball on for insurance.

None of this is easy to do for 10 racks let alone 40 racks. JS is a beast. I just don’t believe the required knowledge is at all difficult to attain.

Even if we assume Filler has played more 14.1 than rotation (I doubt it), he’s 20 years old. What about Shaw? How much 14.1 do you think he played before knocking in a monster run at DCC?

Part of me feels a little guilty making these claims because I’ve never played straight pool. I’ve played snooker and billiards for 20 years (hundred breaks in both) and a bit of 9 ball (no snooker in Korea) for the past 5 years (5 pack in 9 ball). However, my experience allows me to look at a game like 3 cushion carom and without ever having-payed, know with certainty there is a bunch of knowledge that either needs to be learned or acquired through a lot of experience. When I look at straight pool, I don’t see that

You just have to play it and see. Like I said it isn’t crazy mystical knowledge...we may be on the same page here. Certain things work better than others in a given situation, and eventually you will run into these situations in a really high run so you either have to know the best way or get lucky. And there are good and bad ways to break the balls up. Small changes in where your break ball is and your cue ball mean you have to use different English or speed to get the best results. Someone who plays a lot of straight pool can open a pack up to a much nicer spread than someone without the knowledge given the same break shot.

These are just things I’ve noticed as I learn the game. I watch and play a lot and some new issue always shows up. The point is to make a really high run you have to already have gone through all this trial and error so your not trying to figure stuff out while holding your positioning/pocketing concentration to crazy levels.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

You don't know what you don't know!

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Part of me feels a little guilty making these claims because I’ve never played straight pool. I’ve played snooker and billiards for 20 years (hundred breaks in both) and a bit of 9 ball (no snooker in Korea) for the past 5 years (5 pack in 9 ball). However, my experience allows me to look at a game like 3 cushion carom and without ever having-payed, know with certainty there is a bunch of knowledge that either needs to be learned or acquired through a lot of experience. When I look at straight pool, I don’t see that.

I have an old accu stats DVD of a 150+ run rack by John with commentary by John and Danny D...I have another DVD of a 294 run on a diamond table with commentary by John. I can tell you it is a lesson in of itself when you hear John's thoughts on his decisions and what he's looking at throughout the run.

My advice is hold your opinion until you watch this 626 Dvd with commentary that John is doing right now....I'm assuming, based on my past experiences taking to John and watching the two DVDs I have of his runs, that you will hear an advanced approach to playing 14.1 and you will hear information that you never would have thought of if just playing without experience of playing. John has already stated that her learned something new to this game on a quest for 526 and he was putting up massive numbers afterwards. I'm expecting information overload from his commentary and I'll be first in line to purchase.

I also understand your apprehension in the glorification of 626. Filler is a once in a lifetime genius. He's arguably the best player in the world right now, and there really isn't much he can't do on a pool table. Could he catch John? Sure, if given the time and dedication. I also think he could catch Florian Kohler in trick shots if given the time and dedication.
So using Filler's 14.1 Derby record of 285 as an example to nullify John's 14.1 knowledge is a little extreme. That being said...if Filler watches this 626 with commentary, takes notes and studies...who knows. But it's the information that John will have passed which will be the ticket to ride for Filler.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Many a snooker player has expressed the exact same sentiment only to become befuddled soon into a run.

There is knowledge in how to take the balls off the table, how to read the stack and make balls come out or apart, there is bumping balls, and lastly how to go into the stack. There are hundreds of permutations and it takes experience to learn them.

You watch someone like Efren run 100 and he is going to make a mess of it. Sure, he will run 100, but over the long haul an accomplished 14.1 player, who is not needing to shoot banks and circus shots to keep a run going, will out last him.

Lou Figueroa