How good are PBIA certified instructors ?

Aggripadarippa

Registered
Hey everyone im looking at getting lessons from a PBIA certified teacher in my area, but I'm just wondering if im going to get a bang for my buck, the only teachers near me are all listed as recognized, nothing better, but I'm going to assume they all know what they're doing. But I'd like to hear from you guys before I go spending 35 dollars an hour on lessons, thanks in advance !

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
First of all $35 an hour is a steal. That is CHEAP!!! You cannot go wrong getting lessons from one of the instructors in your area. Just go enjoy your lesson.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so all PBIA instructors are good?

Are all lawyers good?

Are all elected officials good?

Are all teachers good?

Are all drivers good?

Are all parents good?

Are all doctors good?

Are all people good?

Seriously, what kind of a question is that? I'm sure there are some who are better than others, just like with everything in life.

Last edited:

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
I'm definitely not an expert on pool instructors. I think I have a pretty great one here in my area but I don't have a frame of reference either. I do have experience taking lessons in other sports and hobbies ranging from golf to violin during my life and here is my take on it.

1. In every activity there is the concept of fundamentals. If you're taking lessons and the instructor isn't spending a lot of time on that up front then you should be suspicious. This has been true for every activity I have taken lessons on.

2. There is such a thing as compatible personalities or maybe more to the point "compatible teaching styles". What may work for you may not work for someone else. You may respond better to a more forceful or demanding instructor where someone else requires a softer touch.

I agree with other posters that $35 an hour is a steal. If I were you I would take a few lessons from that instructor over the course of a few weeks, apply what you have learned, put in the practice and drill time to give it a real shot and then play someone you haven't played for awhile and see if you or they notice a positive difference in your game.

Just my $0.02.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i have taken essons from pbia instructors (scott lee)and non pbia insructors
pbia instructors have a "system" or structured appraoch to teaching
of course things are individualized to you the strudent
the fact that you are seeking instruction makes me assume there are flaws in your fundamentals
a pbia instructor can get you on the right track towards solid mechanics
i agree with fran that not all instructors are created equal whether certified by a group or not
that being said i think it would be worth your time and money to try out the instructor in your area

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Using a certified instructor is a good place to start. But, just because someone is certified doesn't mean you will click with that person. Certified or not you have the right to try an instructor and say you didn't feel like he/she met your needs.
Scott Lee guarantees his lessons. He says if you are not satisfied he won't make you pay. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone not paying Scott.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As stated, PBIA instructors use a structured approach to teaching, and are pretty solid around fundamentals etc. That may or may not be what you are looking for. I think when you get into other areas such as position play, strategy, or other advanced topics, you will be more at the mercy of the individual as to their teaching and/or playing prowess as you start to get into more subjective areas or areas where experience is helpful.

That being said, $35 is very reasonable, so take a lesson or two and if you gel with the person then great, if not try and work with someone else until you find a good match.
Scott

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
There are different ranks of P.BI.A Instructors.
At least we know that they all have to attend certain teaching courses.

RECOGNIZED=entry level
CERTIFIED=well qualified
ADVANCED=years of training and able to bring other Instructors into the group
MASTER=usually work with Instructors but have many students of their own.

randyg

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
$35 an hour?

First of all $35 an hour is a steal. That is CHEAP!!! You cannot go wrong getting lessons from one of the instructors in your area. Just go enjoy your lesson.

I charge $20 and hour and $30 for two hours.

One of the problems in my area is that there are several people advertising themselves as "instructors" who are not qualified.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Instructors

No one seems to post specific replies and most say every instructor is good. Those comments are nice but not very helpful to those trying to choose between $20 an hour and $100 an hour instruction. I hope this is more informative to people looking for an instructor as I was.

Recently I spent $400 with Roger Long in Phoenix. His rate is $20 an hour. He had handouts and went through an outline of soup to nuts over several 4 hour sessions. It would have been very good instruction for a beginner. He could take someone from beginner to intermediate on a very good program. BUT in the long run he taught a canned program and only a very small portion benefited me. I learned we had a fundamentally different approach to the game and would never agree. I believe in "run out pool" I see his more as "one shot at a time and safety play".

Yesterday I spent , coincidentally, another $400 for a single half day session with Jerry Briesath. Interestingly both work out of BullShooters in Pheonix. It was a COMPLETELY different experience. We worked all day on my mechanics. It may sound basic but he corrected many small errors and some major ones I repeated way more frequently than I would have supposed. By the end of the day I felt as though I were a much better player than when I walked in. I really feel like I have something to build on. So for me the $400 with Jerry was better spent than the $400 with Roger even though I spent 5 times more time with Roger. I plan to schedule another session with Jerry to work on "decision making" where I can gain more confidence in my ability to assess situations and choose the best plan of action then use my improved mechanics to make it happen.

One thing they (maybe all instructors) have in common is they are going to teach you what they want to teach you, not what you want to learn. So the closer you are on that subject the better your money will be spent. Roger was not capable of teaching me what I wanted because he simply did not believe in the entire concept. He doesn't look 3 balls ahead or analyze the table to decide to take the stripes or solids, he literally believes you should always take the easiest shot and evaluate things one shot at a time. Jerry is a believer in the mechanics and spent the entire session on that. I told him I would like to book another session to work on patterns, analysis and decisions and he said "that is fine but you know what I am going to look at first". :)

So my summary conclusion is to find an instructor who you are like minded with in approach and see a common goal with. As for me, I believe you have to know what you should be trying to do (the analysis part) and then have the mechanics to do it. I am much more aligned with Jerry than Roger and will spend another $400 with Jerry but can not go further with Roger. With another person it might be the exact opposite and that is why I think a discussion of the overall approach and goal is important.

Please understand, I am not critical of Roger Long. I felt his instruction was under priced and very valuable but he covered too much ground I was already familiar with and could not go beyond where I already was. If a player were starting out he would be better off with a great foundation like Roger could provide at a very reasonable price.

I hope this helps anyone who is thinking of paying a lot of money for something which is a fun pastime but not a source of income.

Skip

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Skip...I certainly agree with your review, and I teach along the same lines as Jerry. Mechanics come first...then knowledge about decision-making and pattern play. No matter what someone is looking for with instruction, it still will boil down to an accurate and repeatable stroke. One thing I like to add, is that experience with a variety of instructors who fit your needs and desires is always good. I would offer time spent with Randyg in Dallas would also be a great investment...a national champion player, and top flight instructor. Both Randy and I are disciples of Jerry, as is Mark Wilson. :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
variety of instruction

I would very much like to have a variety of quality instruction. If you or Randy find yourselves in AZ I would love to have a lesson with either of you. There are not enough great instructors to go around and most of us can't afford to travel long distances to get the instruction we would like to have.
Skip

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Skip...It would be my pleasure to work with you. I have plans to be in AZ next summer. I'll contact you when I have firm dates, and we'll see if we can schedule something that works for both of us. :thumbup:

Scott Lee

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Summer it is

You are a brave man to come to Phoenix in the summer. Most visitors come here in the winter. You can count on a half day session with me to help underwrite your expenses. I am in the foothills 90 miles East of Phoenix but will be happy to meet you anywhere in the Phoenix area which is convenient for you. I am looking forward to it.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Skip...Please PM me your email address and phone number, so I can contact you outside of AzB. Thanks. :D

Scott Lee

You are a brave man to come to Phoenix in the summer. Most visitors come here in the winter. You can count on a half day session with me to help underwrite your expenses. I am in the foothills 90 miles East of Phoenix but will be happy to meet you anywhere in the Phoenix area which is convenient for you. I am looking forward to it.