Looking for: 30” 5/16-14 shaft with short(er) ferrule

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If anyone has a Mezz or Samsara shaft that meets my needs, message me. Will also look at other makers shafts. I have a lathe to verify the straightness of a shaft, so don’t be trying to pull a fast one saying the shaft is straight when rolled.

Price offered will depend upon maker/taper/straightness. Would like to try and stay under $350.

Edit: to make things clearer.....

Length: 30 inches
Joint: 5/16-14
Joint diameter: .835 inches
Ferrule diameter: 12.75-13.00mm
Ferrule length: .375-.625 (3/8-5/8)
Solid maple, non-LD.

Last edited:

Paul Webster

Registered
shaft

hello, you dont give any more information, ? length, diameter, ferrule, if its a flat face or piloted ?? I have many, thank you

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Since you have a lathe it begs the question of why you don't make your own.
You could then match ring-work exactly as well as pilot depth and diameter.
That would also eliminate the chance of someone 'pulling a fast one' on you.
Or is your presence in the Cue-Maker's section all show and no go ?
Talk and walk or stay on the porch. You do the first part quite well.

KJ

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since you have a lathe it begs the question of why you don't make your own.
You could then match ring-work exactly as well as pilot depth and diameter.
That would also eliminate the chance of someone 'pulling a fast one' on you.
Or is your presence in the Cue-Maker's section all show and no go ?
Talk and walk or stay on the porch. You do the first part quite well.

KJ

While I could purchase the additional tools to make a shaft, I have a repair lathe. It’s more than capable of verifying straightness.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
I appreciate your metered response. I don't generally troll people but in this case I did, purposely.
This particular thread provided the perfect example and the basis for my even posting again.
Granted it's not the most appropriate section for my rant but other than that, the stars were in alignment.
Here's my point. In the CM section the moderators will allow anyone to post and give opinion or advice.
I know we've been down this road before on this subject and it's not getting any better, only worse.
It's the 'ASK THE CUE-MAKER' forum and as stated, anyone with a keyboard can attempt to answer a question.
How is that even close to being right; it's not. It's probably the main reason that I don't post anymore.
I'm a CM of 30 yrs and the last thing I want or need at this point in my life is to be in a back and forth
with a newbie or wannabe that doesn't have a clue. Some just like to argue with a CM for no reason at all.

I haven't posted on AZ in probably 6 mos or so though in the last month I have read a few threads.
Not much has changed other than participation is dwindling. The CM forum has maybe 4 or 5 +/- true CMs
that still post. They have their reasons which I won't question. A lot of the others are posers.
There was a time when the AZB/CM forum was the place to be. For me, not anymore.

In an attempt to apologize for my trolling you, here's what I'm going to do.
I will post a 'blank thread' in the CM's forum with only a link to your WTB thread here.
My guess is that you will get additional exposure, more traffic and a greater likelihood that
someone will have what you seek. Since I haven't posted in a while, people will open that thread
and follow the link. Yeah, I've got an ego, who doesn't ? You've got 100 views at the time of this writing.
Let me see if I can bump that up for you. Peace.
COLOR ME GONE.......damn that was a fast car.

KJ

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If anyone has a Mezz or Samsara shaft that meets my needs, message me. Will also look at other makers shafts. I have a lathe to verify the straightness of a shaft, so don’t be trying to pull a fast one saying the shaft is straight when rolled.

Price offered will depend upon maker/taper/straightness. Would like to try and stay under $350.

Edit: to make things clearer.....

Length: 30 inches
Joint: 5/16-14
Joint diameter: .835 inches
Ferrule diameter: 12.75-13.00mm
Ferrule length: .375-.625 (3/8-5/8)
Solid maple, non-LD.

Mezz uses a .840" so all of their standard shafts are out. Samsara shafts all have a super short ferrule (around 4mm) so they don`t meet your specs.
To be honest any production shaft that I know of will fail to meet your specifications.
I don`t understand why you just conntact a cuemaker you like the work of and ask him or her to make you the shaft you are looking for.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
So what would you propose? Should we monitor each and every reply in this area, and delete the ones that don't come from legit cuemakers? How do we define a legit cuemaker?

Or should anyone be able to answer and posters can then decide how much credibility they want to give to an answer based on who answered the post?

Mike

Here's my point. In the CM section the moderators will allow anyone to post and give opinion or advice.
I know we've been down this road before on this subject and it's not getting any better, only worse.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
So what would you propose? Should we monitor each and every reply in this area, and delete the ones that don't come from legit cuemakers? How do we define a legit cuemaker?

Or should anyone be able to answer and posters can then decide how much credibility they want to give to an answer based on who answered the post?

Mike
Mike, with all due respect, how can a beginner know the difference between a cuemaker that actually knows their stuff and a shit talker that doesn't? You are the owner of this site, and unfortunately the responsibility pretty much falls on you or your moderators to sort people out, not the beginners or the members to figure it out. A few makers have tried to do that and they have gotten lambasted for doing it. You have been around from the beginning and you pretty much know who knows their stuff and who doesn't. I do build cues, but am not an expert in any way compared to Kj, Dick Neighbors, Steve Klein, Eric Crisp, Jerry Eik, and many others.... so when I give advice it's from what I have learned thru doing it and based on the advice from these others that have helped me thru the years.
KJ was referring to the Ask the Cuemaker section, not this section. He is right, in that section, there are many people that throw their 2 cents in a thread, and that they may imply they build cues, or have the knowledge, but when giving advice, give the most ridiculous/bad advice, one post comes to mind...using a battery charger to heat up a joint pin to remove it.... unfortunately, there are beginners that follow the bad advice and then f-up their build, or hurt themselves, due to bad/faulty advice and no one of authority holds the poster that gave the bad advice, accountable.
In most craftsman type forums that I belong to, the poster such as I described, usually get warned for giving bad advice a couple times and then get silently shown the door. It makes the advice area more safe, and the advice to be correct, rather than some half-baked idea some idiot dreamed up...IMO.
Have a great week everyone.
Dave
Dave

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
So is the answer to have a couple well respected cuemakers as moderators in that area?

Mike, with all due respect, how can a beginner know the difference between a cuemaker that actually knows their stuff and a shit talker that doesn't? You are the owner of this site, and unfortunately the responsibility pretty much falls on you or your moderators to sort people out, not the beginners or the members to figure it out. A few makers have tried to do that and they have gotten lambasted for doing it.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So is the answer to have a couple well respected cuemakers as moderators in that area?

Hi Mike
The answer is. There's no correct answer. It's in the rules at the top of ATCM by Mr. Wilson. Top 4 sentences to be exact. Those of us that actually give Technical support know and accept this. It gets discouraging at times but it's an open Forum. Sometimes feathers get ruffled and sometimes people who have learned the majority of thier Cue technical knowledge from that section, have forgotten where they come from. It is what it is.