Merry Widow

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many would call it that.

Some would reserve that term for a wrap-less version and call this a "plain jane".

In conversation, I usually make sure I understand what people mean when they use such terms, just to avoid misunderstanding.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Merry Widow is a cue made from one piece of wood. A Plain Jane is a cue with no inlays or other adornments.

With the advent of the internet, these terms have been discarded by many along with the meaning of "conversion" and Sneaky Pete. I once saw a cue described as a reconversion and "Sneaky Pete" cues with fancy collars and inlays.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a McDermott EF-19, is this cue considered to be a Merry Widow?

To me the difference between a Plain Jane and a Merry Widow is rings and maybe fancier wood and handle. I would call that cue a "Plain Jane" but really may be either one. Plain Jane, no rings. Merry Widow, rings and maybe fancier wood or several wood types. Say something like this is a Merry Widow to me

G224_2048x2048.png

Merry Widow butt

L19_77a1162b-30c1-44a6-9a6c-c558f299b63a_large.jpg

Plain Jane butt

1_33e2bc950e32e2686e426d5964ffeae5.jpg

Last edited:

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
A Merry Widow is a cue made from one piece of wood. A Plain Jane is a cue with no inlays or other adornments.

With the advent of the internet, these terms have been discarded by many along with the meaning of "conversion" and Sneaky Pete. I once saw a cue described as a reconversion and "Sneaky Pete" cues with fancy collars and inlays.

I saw a cue here described as a Sneaky Pete. It had a Phenolic joint and a wrap. I was, ummmm... nope. In-your-face Pete, maybe. Definitely not a Sneaky Pete, though.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I started playing in the early '70s a merry widow was a cue with no rings or inlays or decoration of any kind. Just a wrap. Forearm and butt sleeve of the same wood. I don't hear the term often today, not as much as the term sneaky pete which I still hear over and over. The internet had nothing to do with doing away those terms, merry widow just went out of fashion for some people.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I started playing in the early '70s a merry widow was a cue with no rings or inlays or decoration of any kind. Just a wrap. Forearm and butt sleeve of the same wood. I don't hear the term often today, not as much as the term sneaky pete which I still hear over and over. The internet had nothing to do with doing away those terms, merry widow just went out of fashion for some people.
Same here. Back in the day Brunswick had a cue in their catalog, the Merry widow, that had same wood front and back with a wrap. Cues like this have been popular ever since.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This leaves the term Plane Jane without a home though since it seems to fall under merry widow. It can't be a sneaky since those are house cue look-alikes with a joint.s

If Plane Jane and Merry Widow are equal, then what do you call a cue without inlays but looking fancier with rings?

I don't know about cue terms much before the 80s and 90s, but I always thought it went from simpler to fancy,

Sneaky
Plane Jane
Merry Widow
Cues with simpler inlays, like those in the butt only or small ones in several positions
Cues with points
Cues with points and veneers = Cues with points and inlays no veneers
Cues with points, veneers and inlays

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
A Merry Widow is a cue made from one piece of wood.
Is that structurally sound? Aren't butts joined from more than 1 piece to prevent warping?

I've always thought a 1-piece wrapless butt from a nice piece of wood would be cool, but assumed it wasn't practical.

pj
chgo

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Well, I'll give a different definition. A Merry Widow is a plain cue without points, with a set of rings or ring of some type in either the buttsleeve or forearm, but only one, not the other. The widow is one, without the other. Sort of makes sense. Opinions vary.

Opinions also vary with respect to Plain Jane. I've heard it referred to sneakys, to just a wrapped maple cue, and to even a four pointer. Opinions vary on that one too.

All the best,
WW

SDPDMDIE

Registered
Thanks for the replies to my question. I've never shot a game with this EF-19.
I've hit a cue ball with it maybe 5-10 times. It's only been chalked once.
I think I'll keep her.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Is that structurally sound? Aren't butts joined from more than 1 piece to prevent warping?

I've always thought a 1-piece wrapless butt from a nice piece of wood would be cool, but assumed it wasn't practical.

pj
chgo

Years ago when the DCC was still an old school pool tournament instead of the novelty it is now, I remember Pat Diveney bringing a snakewood cue there. It was sweet, snakewood bow to stern and thats one very finicky wood...

On a side note, ill be listing some more of these for sale in the near future and am curious what people think...plain jane or merry widow, maybe merry widow maker :grin:

Attachments

• RH cue.jpg
    RH cue.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 249
  • RH cue4.jpg
    RH cue4.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago when the DCC was still an old school pool tournament instead of the novelty it is now, I remember Pat Diveney bringing a snakewood cue there. It was sweet, snakewood bow to stern and thats one very finicky wood...

On a side note, ill be listing some more of these for sale in the near future and am curious what people think...plain jane or merry widow, maybe merry widow maker :grin:

I'd call those Plain Janes. No rings, basic colors.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Well, I'll give a different definition. A Merry Widow is a plain cue without points, with a set of rings or ring of some type in either the buttsleeve or forearm, but only one, not the other. The widow is one, without the other. Sort of makes sense. Opinions vary.

Opinions also vary with respect to Plain Jane. I've heard it referred to sneakys, to just a wrapped maple cue, and to even a four pointer. Opinions vary on that one too.

All the best,
WW

This a Merry Widow, WW?

02gggsnksXP.jpg

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
I have a Brunswick merry widow. From the research I did, using Brunswick catalogs, the merry widow had a 14 inch forearm and a matching 14 inch ebony spliced shaft. Mine has an ebony butt and forearm and maple/ebony shaft. I have seen it in one other exotic wood. I believe a brazillian rosewood. "Merry Widow" at that time was a model that only Brunswick made. I believe they stopped making it around 1936. After Brunswick stopped making the "Merry Widow", I believe the two terms became interchangeable. Of course, Brunswick wouldn't call one of their cues "Plain Jane", when "Merry Widow" sounds so much better. Marketing 101.