Birdseye maple cue

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So if a cue was made from an 18” piece of maple. Birdseye or curly. Was made into a cue. Plain maple handle with a linen wrap. Would it have to be cored or a weight bolt to keep it around 19oz?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Definitely core it for stability.
Spread any added weight in all 3 places for the balance.
Without the woods in my possession you may be able to get away with only doing 2 places.

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok. I was kinda thinking that. They are both square now but the weight differences is about 2 ounces. I thought maple was pretty good and didn’t need to be cored. Figuring most the time makers core something it’s with maple. So I figured it doesn’t move as much.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Core it because it’s figured wood, grain structure not as sound as plain straight grained maple.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Not coring.....

Over my short span of handling cues I guess it's about 50-50 on BE cues that I've handled that have moved off center. Maaaaybe the guess a bit on the high side but I've concluded the majority, if any that had moved, had not been cored. Some I was indecisive on but based on the history of the builder I was guessing no.
Some worse than others but any off center moving is not a good program for long term stability. Just because you core doesn't ensure absolute non-movement but I like dealing with better odds and quality coring does that for me.
Aligning the end grain of the core with the face grain of the host is a good insurance program in mine and in my customers book.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes it will need either a wrap joint weight screw, rear weight bolt or coring with heavier wood.