US Open rules

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Here's my take on what transpired and what was said and the game of 9 ball itself after seeing the implementation of the WPA rules. I'm comparing this to my two years of play in the early 90's.

They used the rack template, it caused quite a few problems.

The breaker could make a ball on the break but not shoot because of the WPA ''kitchen'' ruling.

First off, each table had an I pad type score keeper with huge fonts/nice touch and were seen, easily across the room. Each score pad had a camera lens.

Break rules, must get three in the kitchen or two and one in the pocket OR etc, incoming player can shoot the shot or give it back, and no roll out is in effect during a break foul. Also no BIH in a non scratch break foul.

Welllllllll. often players got into and argument about if a ball went in/out of the kitchen or not.

Was sad to see such conflict over something that could of easily been taken care of by I pad instant replay of break shot.

Any who, the game is broken with the current flow of play and it's nannie ness. TV table, it averages 85 seconds from the time the 9 went down till the breaker addressed the balls, then the 40 sec shot clock could come into play, then and extension,. then a roll out, then next player up, then and extension then the shot. Sometimes 4 minutes went by before the balls were racked and the first shot took place.

Here's how you solve this problem. 30 sec shot clock

Wooden rack, the sounds of it are Very important to the game, as are pocketing sounds....It's also off the table after racking is done.:grin-square: It doesn't curl up in time, and it will speed up play.

Next have a 2 1/4'' break spot on the head string ''in the center''. Rack the balls where they should be, and play pool.

Winner breaks, loser racks. Game on.

I did like this rule, scratch shooting the nine as last ball, then incoming player must shoot a spot shot from the kitchen.

The WPA thinks they understand 9 ball, but they really don't understand it's core, it's style it's aggressiveness it's nature. This game brings out guys like Earl/Shaw/Sigel/Filler/Chau/Busty. It's like watching the great young PGA golfers hitting em 350 yrds from the tee box.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's my take on what transpired and what was said and the game of 9 ball itself after seeing the implementation of the WPA rules. I'm comparing this to my two years of play in the early 90's.

They used the rack template, it caused quite a few problems.

The breaker could make a ball on the break but not shoot because of the WPA ''kitchen'' ruling.

First off, each table had an I pad type score keeper with huge fonts/nice touch and were seen, easily across the room. Each score pad had a camera lens.

Break rules, must get three in the kitchen or two and one in the pocket OR etc, incoming player can shoot the shot or give it back, and no roll out is in effect during a break foul. Also no BIH in a non scratch break foul.

Welllllllll. often players got into and argument about if a ball went in/out of the kitchen or not.

Was sad to see such conflict over something that could of easily been taken care of by I pad instant replay of break shot.

Any who, the game is broken with the current flow of play and it's nannie ness. TV table, it averages 85 seconds from the time the 9 went down till the breaker addressed the balls, then the 40 sec shot clock could come into play, then and extension,. then a roll out, then next player up, then and extension then the shot. Sometimes 4 minutes went by before the balls were racked and the first shot took place.

Here's how you solve this problem. 30 sec shot clock

Wooden rack, the sounds of it are Very important to the game, as are pocketing sounds....It's also off the table after racking is done.:grin-square: It doesn't curl up in time, and it will speed up play.

Next have a 2 1/4'' break spot on the head string ''in the center''. Rack the balls where they should be, and play pool.

Winner breaks, loser racks. Game on.

I did like this rule, scratch shooting the nine as last ball, then incoming player must shoot a spot shot from the kitchen.

The WPA thinks they understand 9 ball, but they really don't understand it's core, it's style it's aggressiveness it's nature. This game brings out guys like Earl/Shaw/Sigel/Filler/Chau/Busty. It's like watching the great young PGA golfers hitting em 350 yrds from the tee box.

I'm pretty sure no Cameras were pointed at the score pads, those score were fed into a computer that was outside the tournament area then updated to AZ Billiards. All the Players had to do was call the Ref and ask him to watch the Break to see if it was legal or not. All the matches i saw in person did not have any heated arguments about a legal break or not.

I think i have seen more complaints about the Playing rules by the spectator then the players in the Open.

wrickyb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also people have the MISS Conception that an Illegal Break is a Foul. IT IS NOT. An illegal break is just a pass of the breakers turn. The intent of the break rule is to eliminate the soft break which when done properly will drop a ball.

I have been to many opens and when it was done with standard racks, wooden and metal, with the looser racking for the winner there were MANY arguments and slow downs due to racking problems.

I think the Open is making GREAT progress and advancements under Pat's direction.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The general consensus seemed to be the shot clock format was almost perfect. Didn’t rush players and also didn’t keep the matches going too slow.

People clamoring for a 30s shot clock must want to watch players sprinting around the table.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The general consensus seemed to be the shot clock format was almost perfect. Didn’t rush players and also didn’t keep the matches going too slow.

People clamoring for a 30s shot clock must want to watch players sprinting around the table.

Agree, nothing wrong with the 40 second shot clock, i also like the automatic extension.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Spot shot on the nine

What is the logic behind making the incoming player shoot a spot shot if their opponent scratches on the nine?

Why do they get off the hook for such a big mistake?

b

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the logic behind making the incoming player shoot a spot shot if their opponent scratches on the nine?

b

Probably to make it more competitive, but i have not seen this rule go into play, out of all the matches i saw and i saw a lot of matches.

If they make them spot the nine on a scratch why not just spot all the balls on a scratch that will really get the people going.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Probably to make it more competitive, but i have not seen this rule go into play, out of all the matches i saw and i saw a lot of matches.

If they make them spot the nine on a scratch why not just spot all the balls on a scratch that will really get the people going.

I saw one, can't remember which match. I feel like it might have been Shaw that had to shoot it, but again who knows.

It's such a strange rule to me for a pro event, or even an amateur event, baffles me as to why we might want to 'go easy' on a pro when they scratch on the nine.

I could be overlooking something obvious, it's happened before ;)

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw one, can't remember which match. I feel like it might have been Shaw that had to shoot it, but again who knows.

It's such a strange rule to me for a pro event, or even an amateur event, baffles me as to why we might want to 'go easy' on a pro when they scratch on the nine.

I could be overlooking something obvious, it's happened before ;)

I think they kinda took a page out the WPS when its hill hill and they go into the 8ball shootout.

its crazy you scratch on the nine, gets spotted in stead of a 100% of losing that rack you go to what 50 % to still win ? the incoming shooter is not a 100% chance to make that spot shot.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

b

Here is the tournament director's explanation from 5 months ago: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5919595&postcount=11

To me, if a spot shot is required when the 9-ball is the last ball and the shooter pockets it but fouls, then it would have made sense to require the spot shot whenever the 9-ball is the only ball on the table and a player has ball in hand (a scratch could have happened pocketing the second-to-last ball, e.g.).

But maybe the thinking focused (as in Karl's example) more on things like interfering with a rolling cue ball after the 9-ball is pocketed.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Thanks

Here is the tournament director's explanation from 5 months ago: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5919595&postcount=11

To me, if a spot shot is required when the 9-ball is the last ball and the shooter pockets it but fouls, then it would have made sense to require the spot shot whenever the 9-ball is the only ball on the table and a player has ball in hand (a scratch could have happened pocketing the second-to-last ball, e.g.).

But maybe the thinking focused (as in Karl's example) more on things like interfering with a rolling cue ball after the 9-ball is pocketed.

Thanks for the link. I have to say, I think it's flimsy reasoning especially if it's only happened once as they state. Why worry about it at all and make rules if it happens that rarely.

The incoming shooter isn't 100% to make it, but the outgoing play certainly 100% choked and deserves to lose.

Not trying to start an argument, my opinion isn't really worth much to the US Open folks, it's just a perplexing thing to me - thanks for the replies :)