Mosconi Cup week 2018

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane pulled it together... They played the table like a bar box. Don’t worry about perfect position when your playing with these buckets roll it in the hole and move to the next shot.

SO it is 2-2?

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, nice recovery by SVB in the doubles match. Shaw made a safety error and is now down 1-0 against Shane in their singles match.

The Facebook stream looks great.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaw is down 3-0 and just scratched on the break. Can you say USA leading after the first day???

CptBurbagio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a monster performance by Shane! So proud of him righting the ship after his early shakiness. He looked in total command from about midway through his doubles match til the final 9 against Shaw.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a monster performance by Shane! So proud of him righting the ship after his early shakiness. He looked in total command from about midway through his doubles match til the final 9 against Shaw.

A confident SVB in this event and Shaw doubting himself is huge for the USA.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hopefully Shane got rid of the monkey that's been on his back.

Great match so far.

USA-USA-USA

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane looked like he was playing in the U.S. Open finals in that last match against Shaw.

I'm just glad to see that Hatch and Oscar were replaced by Tyler and Corey. Corey's game has really picked up in the last year, Tyler is unconscious, and Hatch was just an embarrassment.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well there it is. What a treat fans were given on day one.
U.S. had the pool gods on their side and took advantage.
The combination Tyler played in the last rack... the balls on
this kid, I love it! Shane putting it down. I can’t wait for tomorrow.
The rolls were in our favor today. I’ll take it. The mental game as
a team seems much more even keel than previous years for the U.S.
Many thanks indeed to Spartan for the link.

ThePitster

Registered
I'm cringing at the child like high-pitched whooping adopted by some (obviously boozed up) idiots in the crowd.

Although SVB was unfazed by it.

Hopefully it will be a lively and engaged, but more importantly, respectful crowd tomorrow evening.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm cringing at the child like high-pitched whooping adopted by some (obviously boozed up) idiots in the crowd.

Although SVB was unfazed by it.

Hopefully it will be a lively and engaged, but more importantly, respectful crowd tomorrow evening.
They are Woooing a la Rick Flair...that’s where it comes from. Annoying.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
That was magic....especially the Corey-Shane hook-up.
...they don’t always get a long....but they looked like long lost brothers there.

Tyler the rookie....everybody knew he couldn’t beat Niels twice in a row....
...everybody but Tyler...:grin:

And the Shane the world fears showed up in the last match.

I’m typing this in a Canuck pool hall...every one is happy like they’re Yankees.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
WTF is with the GIANT pockets??? I know dry, slick new cloth makes for easier play but these are ridiculous.

At last week's warm-up match with England, the table was tough on breaks. The wing ball went in only 17% of the time, and successful breaks were about 50%.

Deep shelves and bad racking were given as possible reasons for the difficulties on the break. And we heard that the table was being moved to Alexandra Palace for the Mosconi Cup, so we wondered whether it would be the match table and, if so, how it would fare.

Well, that table from last week is certainly NOT the match table being used this week at the Cup. The wing ball went in on 30 of the 34 breaks today (88%, several were fouled) and the successful break rate is way up.

And then, as you say, several pretty bad "misses" during the games found their way to the bottom of the pockets.

But, as is said, both teams are playing on the same table.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since the wing ball is going in consistently, the lag just got very important again.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I'm just glad to see that Hatch and Oscar were replaced by Tyler and Corey. Corey's game has really picked up in the last year, Tyler is unconscious, and Hatch was just an embarrassment.

So much all of this. ^^^^^^

BassMasterK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since the wing ball is going in consistently, the lag just got very important again.
Even more important with a table playing that loose. The lag has never been our strong suit for the last few years for whatever reason. Glad to see them place some close to the end rail.