Stroke! Wonder How to get their fantastic Strokes?

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Some people have "strokes"...others can hit the ball hard.

I have been told by numerous, numerous people that I have a "powerful" stroke. One guy in a tournament even gave me the nickname "Monster Stroke" after he saw me draw the cue ball a couple table lengths with my cue that everyone called a "log". It weighs over 21 ounces and has a 14mm tip.

Stroke has a lot to do with "timing" and not everyone has that. Just yesterday an old guy who plays pretty well came up to me and asked me to show him a shot that he saw me shoot a week or so ago. It is nothing but a simple "stun and run" shot from the end short rail, straight up the middle of the table to the other end rail and the cue ball hits three rails and comes back to the spot you hit the ball from. He said that it doesn't look like I'm hitting the ball as hard as I am to get that much "action" on the cue ball.

I've shown bunches of them the shot, with them standing directly behind me while I do it, and none of them can do it, except as a fluke every once in a while.

I think learning to play on old tables with slow, damp cloth in places that had poorly working, if any, air conditioning made learning to "stroke" the ball a bit more of a priority that it is today. With today's faster cloth and rails, you can "baby" the ball and get around without having to what I'd call "stroke" the ball. You couldn't do that in the old days.

As far as "how far can you go to the outside edge of the cue ball", I'd say a hell of a lot farther than some of the pool scientists on here will tell you.

In order to successfully hit "way outside" you have to have a good straight stroke and plenty of acceleration. If you hit "off target" on the cue ball or don't have proper acceleration, you may be prone to miscuing a lot.

Amen Brother! 100% on the mark!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you want to make the same shot hitting the same CB spot with the same cue, your cue must be angled the same way when it hits the spot - no matter how you get it there - or you'll miss the shot.

Backhand and fronthand (and "parallel", whatever that means to you) are just different ways to get to that same spot with the same angle. The amount of squirt doesn't change, so you either get to that angle or miss.

I suggest you do the same. Maybe you'll learn they aren't different "types of english".

pj
chgo

Everything you said that I converted to red text is wrong. Until you get past your lack of understanding that different ways of moving the tip to the side create different angles and different squirt if the cue ball is always hit in the same place we have no common frame of reference. To get the same result on the object ball using the three most common methods of applying spin requires hitting the cue ball in three slightly different places.

I won't bother with your quibbling over terminology. If you really don't understand you have wasted decades of your life.

Hu

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
The stroke that creates the MOST amount of intended effect on the CB, with the least amount of,power/force/speed,will control the outcomes much better.

Here's a small excerpt from an exhibition I did at , Chris's Billiards for several patrons in 1997.

In which NO silicone or any other substances we NOT used.

It demonstrates, some close-force-follows, multi cushion force-follows, a Hoppe classic follow, to a extremely difficult distance force-follow with a twist!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqSz5LazJIU

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
To get the same result on the object ball using the three most common methods of applying spin requires hitting the cue ball in three slightly different places.
I think you need to check your understanding of the methods.

Backhand and fronthand English are methods used with different cues that produce different amounts of squirt, because they produce different cue angles when hitting the same CB spot. With one you move the back hand sideways (producing more angle for more squirt) and with the other you move the front hand sideways (producing less angle for less squirt).

I don’t think parallel English is an actual thing unless squirt is nullified somehow, like with swerve.

pj
chgo

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hope that they say somewhere in the text that the circle represents not the ball but the area on the ball that is safe to strike. If they don't say that, they are serving their readers badly.

Bob
I have NEVER EVER seen a billiard book or pdf and you know I have A LOT of them
Put that qualifier in their texts when they use a diagram like that.
I guess it’s understood extreme english and not taken so literally
I also have not read in any blogs that it is a problem
Just my experience

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Bob
Just my experience
Experienced, supposedly knowledgeable players on this forum believe it literally.

pj
chgo

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Bob
Just my experience

Larry; as you know, anyone with a thread of common sense understands when medium - extreme follow is applied, it's the, 'bottom edge of the tip curve' that actually contacts the CB!

So, re: in diagrams that show the, 'top edge of the tip curve' outside the comfort zone for most has NO relevance in actual play!

COMMON SENSE is the, 'key' word here!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Larry; as you know, anyone with a thread of common sense understands when medium - extreme follow is applied, it's the, 'bottom edge of the tip curve' that actually contacts the CB!

So, re: in diagrams that show the, 'top edge of the tip curve' outside the comfort zone for most has NO relevance in actual play!
Your diagram doesn't show either edge of the tip (unless your tip is 1/8" wide). It shows a 1/8" contact point - 1/4" from the CB's edge.

COMMON SENSE is the,'key' word here!
lol

pj
chgo

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Your diagram doesn't show either edge of the tip (unless your tip is 1/8" wide). It shows a 1/8" contact point - 1/4" from the CB's edge.

lol

pj
chgo

I figure 99% of normal thinking people will always come to the correct conclusion.

But, then, there's that rare 1% that can NEVER understand the simplicity of the game by over thinking, which inevitably results in, 'Analysis/paralysis!'

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stroke flaws MUST be corrected to rise above circumstances

---------------

Last edited:

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I began the intense training and study of the "hated" CTE Aiming method, I found I was getting worse instead of better.
It was driving me batty.
I had someone video my shooting, and there it was! A devilish little 'twist' in the wrist on the stroke. (the stroke and the aiming method MUST be congruent, they go together like ice cream and cake).
But after discovering this, then came the question..."how do I get rid of this crud?"
I dug out my old Bert Kinister videos on the 60 Minute Workout for 9 Ball. Went to work on that stupid(?) shot number one......over and over, for hours and hours. Nothing but that shot number one.
Kinister says...."Shot number one will create a stroke where there is no stroke".
Most will not believe it.........too bad for them.
After maybe 200 hours rehearsing nothing but that stupid(?) shot number one, another video was made. Happy days...the "twist in the wrist" was gone.
Then....the aiming method started working as well.
Niels Fejin says he must have hit that shot number one 50,000 times.
That is one way to create a beautiful ACCURATE stroke. After the stroke has been created, hitting that stupid(?) shot number one a hundred times a day will keep a player finely tuned. Then he/she is ready for the war at the table.

Please describe shot number 1? Thanks.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Please describe shot number 1? Thanks.

its a stun run thru (in snooker terms)
a stop/stun shot but the cue ball rolls one revolution to take the place of where the object ball was.
you practice this all the time (with its variations)
berts version is just to get the cue ball to dribble one ball distance

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
its a stun run thru (in snooker terms)
a stop/stun shot but the cue ball rolls one revolution to take the place of where the object ball was.
you practice this all the time (with its variations)
berts version is just to get the cue ball to dribble one ball distance

Replacement ball. Thanks.
Here is a video of a drill I use to gain some CONCENTRATION in my pool game. My teacher has always and forever used the 5 portions of the pocket on every shot he makes. So hard to concentrate at that level but it's a goal. I want to do this 10 times in a row but have not yet. The pocket is confined to 1/2 it's width with the other ball. If you can do this 10 times in a row, I'd say your precision is great.

https://youtu.be/yWoZBSmI_6s

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I figure 99% of normal thinking people will always come to the correct conclusion.

But, then, there's that rare 1% that can NEVER understand the simplicity of the game by over thinking, which inevitably results in, 'Analysis/paralysis!'

Who was the last pool scientist to win a major championship?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One quick look at the both of us playing, the difference is obvious!

Being that, "I" KNOW what is possible and what is NOT!

Obviously, YOU DON'T!

YOU limit yourself to limited info! ;) Do I need to expand! :D

I'm not getting between you and PJ's conversation but:

Ever heard.....those that can't do ....teach?

Well, I know several people that teach, coach, instruct etc...etc that have a very high gear.

Having said that, 99% of the remaining teachers, coaches etc...that go around throwing out a lot of terminology and trying their damndest to seem smart, talented etc.. well, lol.... they put people limits lower simply because their ceiling is low.

Again, I'm not saying this applies to you two. Then again, I'm not saying it doesn't apply.

Some people (very gifted) CAN and DO bring a whole new set of possibilities to the table when talking about anything pool related.

Why do you think Willie M's record is still standing? Lol..... he was "one" of those people that could do things that seemed impossible to far less superior players.

Again, just sayin.

Rake