Clearcoat over stacked leather

luke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the best clearcoat to put on a stacked leather grip to make it feel like an unwrapped cue? Would Solarez work? Looking for that semi-grippy not slippery feel.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
It would take a ton of clear coat to do that.
I suggest you start with a thin epoxy first .
Like West 105 to 206/207 hardener .
I did that to linen.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your cue diemeter would be quite a bit bigger after that. The stacked leather is flush with the rest of the cue...
You could make the wrap groove deeper than it has to be or sand the stacked leather really thin. A job like that is one of those typical jobs I turn down, It`s just not worth the hassle. If you have a lathe and can do it yourself, go ahead, but do think it through before you start.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
My experience with finish over wraps is that even after you think you completely sealed the wrap with epoxy and sanding flat several times, you still can get the finish coat to suck in causing fisheyes.

To prevent that you must use mutipul coats of Smiths Water thin two part epoxy, flat sanding between coats after 24 hour cures. Then apply your layers of epoxy while allow for curing and sanding between applications.

Then after all of those coats, wait 7 days before applying your clear.

JMO,

Rick

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do this with linen wraps often. But, linen wraps are put on with Elmers glue which dries hard. Stack leather is put on with contact cement. Contact cement doesn't dry hard. I've only seen 2 exceptions to that by 2 Cue makers. So if it stays tacky, it could lift and pop the finish.
This is a concern you should think about.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
finish over wrap.

I've done it many times with West system 105/207 finish.

Mario

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Clear coating leather

Wood hardener and west systems epoxy /.I use wood hardener let dry then sand smooth like it laminated wood then clear coat with west systems .

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2 part epoxy finish

I have done it a few times, just use the 20 minute epoxy finish. It might take couple times sanding and reapplying. Most times I do the entire butt so it sands smooth.