Tips for Students of CTE

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...CTE/PRO ONE is a VISUAL SYSTEM.

-------------------------------------------

The head tilted is a recuring instruction.

dumluk

Only for thick shots to the right for right handed players and reverse for left handed players.

Last edited:

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have Stan's DVD and watched it many times..and spoke to him on the phone on an issue that confused me and he took all the time necessary for me to understand it. To me trying CTE..ETE..90/90..whatever is that where ever you start your aim on the cue ball better be the exact same offset that you spot on the object ball. I know where Dave gets his half ball pivot as I get it from the same source.

I think Stan's system can be used as a complete system if the half tip offset helps you sight better, and it can be used as a reference point (A,B or B,C) after a larger pivot if you use a larger amount of offset to begin with..like the cueballs edge or half ball to start your pivot.

Nate, you are missing the point. The 1/2 tip offset is specific to CTE/PRO ONE. It is objective and it works for ALL shots in CTE/PRO ONE. Also, and extremely important to the CTE/PRO ONE 1/2 tip pivot is that the player always has the same visual offet for each shot and that allows for a uniform pivot in Basic CTE and in PRO ONE. Each PRO ONE pivot is equal to a 1/2 tip pivot. The shooter has the same movements over and over.

As I have stated many times there are a few objective visuals to learn and 2 physical PRO ONE movements to center cue ball that are well-defined and repeatable.

This is what works in CTE/PRO ONE.

Slide Rule

ConservativeHardLiner
Silver Member

A clarification that I am sure has been made previously.

In tilting the head are we looking at a head movement of yes or up an down, or a no movement as in shaking the head side to side?

I have been under the impression that it is a side movement. In other words is the issue one of placing the eyes on the same plane but by tilting side to side actually placing the eyes in a perspective that are closer together?

Or forbid, is it a combination?

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A clarification that I am sure has been made previously.

In tilting the head are we looking at a head movement of yes or up an down, or a no movement as in shaking the head side to side?

I have been under the impression that it is a side movement. In other words is the issue one of placing the eyes on the same plane but by tilting side to side actually placing the eyes in a perspective that are closer together?

Or forbid, is it a combination?

It is a simple side movement. For a right-handed player to aim with the right edge of the cue ball, the eye positioning, typically for the right eye, is behind the right edge of the cue ball. In order to get the eyes to that position the body must slightly lean or the head can tilt. THe movement is seamless and virtually undetectable.......there is nothing weird about having the eyes at times behind the right edge of the cue ball.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought that the Rosetta Stone of CTE/Pro-One was revealed by Stan to you, only to have him reject your understanding of what he said. ...

I don't think that's at all true. What he did not care for was my characterizing his use of the word "experience," or experience-based knowledge, as a type of "feel." My response to his objection is here: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=2965886&postcount=1037

What we received two nights ago from Stan was:
1. Confirmation that any one of the basic six alignments will produce the same cut angle every time if the eye position is the same every time (for the same CB-OB distance);
2. Instruction that it is by varying the eye position that the player is able to achieve varying cut angles for the same reference alignment (same set of visuals); and
3. Instruction that the knowledge needed to know the correct eye position for a given cut angle within a particular reference alignment comes from experience using the method.​

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As I stated on the DVD, thick shots to right, including straight-ins, for right handed players requires a tilting of the head to the right to obtain the visuals.

I said nothing about a progressive tilting of the head on the DVD and there is no such thing in CTE/PRO ONE. I can assure of that.

[in response to "The head tilted is a recuring instruction."]
Only for thick shots to the right for right handed players and reverse for left handed players.

Thanks for that information, Stan. Every tip helps.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think that's at all true. What he did not care for was my characterizing his use of the word "experience," or experience-based knowledge, as a type of "feel." My response to his objection is here: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=2965886&postcount=1037

What we received two nights ago from Stan was:
1. Confirmation that any one of the basic six alignments will produce the same cut angle every time if the eye position is the same every time (for the same CB-OB distance);
2. Instruction that it is by varying the eye position that the player is able to achieve varying cut angles for the same reference alignment (same set of visuals); and
3. Instruction that the knowledge needed to know the correct eye position for a given cut angle within a particular reference alignment comes from experience using the method.​

OK I stand corrected.

In order to get the new perspective of the same fractional aim spot on the OB, he says to tilt the head/eyes. This will effectively move the eyes to the side and take your line of sight off of said spot.

From this new visual, one must move his body to the side to get the line of sight back on the spot.

I presume that this can be done while getting down on the shot and not after as I presumed before.

What I need to find oout for mayself is how much of a tilt will achieve a new cut angle from the same spot. The more the tilt (progressive) a greater cut angle is achieved (until my ear is on the top of my shoulder).:wink:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... What I need to find oout for mayself is how much of a tilt will achieve a new cut angle from the same spot. The more the tilt (progressive) a greater cut angle is achieved (until my ear is on the top of my shoulder).:wink:

LAMas -- read Stan's posts #80 and #81 in this thread. Are you paying attention?:)

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LAMas -- read Stan's posts #80 and #81 in this thread. Are you paying attention?:)

Too much so that I'm on tilt.

How much and how to tilt? Slide and I would like to know.

You have the DVD. Why don't you share this info?

I will try it for I think that tilting, as I understand it, can be proven to be effective at the table.

In earlier threads, the subject of visualizing the CTEL and the secondary aim line, I was told to not be square (to the cue) but to instead to bring my stance at 45 degrees to the cue which chages the position of the eyes for a different visual.

Now where's my cold Coors?:wink:

jwpretd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much and how to tilt? Slide and I would like to know.

You have the DVD. Why don't you share this info?

Because there isn't any info to share beyond what you've already been given several times.

Now where's my cold Coors?:wink:

Ah! That explains every thing.

By the way... You know they've fired the brewmaster at Coors, right? Guy's been there something like 35-40 years and wham! - right out on his butt.
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
They caught him putting malt and hops in the water.

Last edited:

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CTE Drill

I've had Stan's DVD for about 2 weeks.
Sometimes it works sometimes I miss - but I know Im still learning.
Anyway I've been using the following drill lately.

First I use the 1 ball as a CB and shoot the white in the top corner pocket.
Then the 1 becomes the OB and I place that on the spot and shoot it with the 2.
Then I shoot the 2 with the 3 and so on.
the 2 through 7 is shot in the top corner.
The 9 through 15 is shot in the bottom corner.
Next time Im at the table I'll record what Pivots and Object Ball lines (A,B,C) Im using for each numbered ball, then update the thread

If anyone else wants to try this drill and compare notes, that would be
cool.

Thanks

CueTable Help

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had Stan's DVD for about 2 weeks.
Sometimes it works sometimes I miss - but I know Im still learning.
Anyway I've been using the following drill lately.

First I use the 1 ball as a CB and shoot the white in the top corner pocket.
Then the 1 becomes the OB and I place that on the spot and shoot it with the 2.
Then I shoot the 2 with the 3 and so on.
the 2 through 7 is shot in the top corner.
The 9 through 15 is shot in the bottom corner.
Next time Im at the table I'll record what Pivots and Object Ball lines (A,B,C) Im using for each numbered ball, then update the thread

If anyone else wants to try this drill and compare notes, that would be
cool.

Thanks

CueTable Help

That will be very helpful. Do you know what the angles to the pocket from the CB are? Besides the secondary aim points on the OB as well as the pivot left or right, I would like to know how much you tilt your head on thick cuts.

Also what is the distance of your bridge behind the CB for each shot and where do you stroke your cue - under the right or left eye or somewhere in between?

Thanks in advance.:thumbup:

Last edited:

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That will be very helpful. Do you know what the angles to the pocket from the CB are? Besides the secondary aim points on the OB as well as the pivot left or right, I would like to know how much you tilt your head on thick cuts.

Also what is the distance of your bridge behind the CB for each shot and where do you sroke your cue - under the right or left eye or somewhere in between?

Thanks in advance.:thumbup:

Sure - do you know a good way to measure the angles?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Do you know what the angles to the pocket from the CB are? ...

LAMas -- I imagine that gordml intended for the the 1-ball through the 7-ball to be at the same angles to the top corner pocket as are the 15-ball through 9-ball to the bottom corner pocket. The actual graphic is a bit off from that. Using the Billiard Aiming Calculator, here are the angles I get for the shots pictured (you might get a degree or two different):

1-ball through 7-ball: 22, 14, 3, 14, 22, 34, 43 degrees to top left corner pocket

8-ball: 49 degrees to either left corner pocket

9-ball through 15-ball: 39, 30, 20, 12, 0, 13, 22 to bottom left corner pocket

My angles are measured as true cut angles (CB to GB to pocket) rather than with the lines drawn by gordml (CB to OB to pocket).

Last edited:

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billiard Aiming Calculator? What does it look like? It must be very accurate.

Although I wonder if the ball placements were meant to be a mirror image from the 8 ball +/- 1 or 2 degrees to the OB on the spot.

Yup, CB to GB and OB to pocket.

Thanks.:)

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice Calculator.
Thanks.

Does it calculate CIT? It appears to be capable of doing CTE if you can pivot from the pivot point on the cue? I don't have time to play around with it tonight.:wink:

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok after reading some feedback from LAmas and AtLarge, I went back to the table to see if I could come up with an exercise
more consistent and objective, and one which we could all replicate easily.

I decided the best thing to do is get rid of the circle and just line the balls up from the second diamond to the centre of the table.

The one ball i tried to keep off the rail as much as possible but there is an exact straight line to the centre where the 15 is.
When lined up all balls are frozen to each other

I made 15 small marks with a piece of chalk.
So I had 15 shots placing my CB on each mark and shooting the OB on the spot.

CueTable Help

Last edited: