Having a Backer … Less Pressure? Or More?

sunnyone

cum grano salis
Silver Member
Dear Gentle Readers,

Since the most I’ve ever wagered on a game of pool is a drink, and since nobody in the known universe would consider placing even that pittance at risk on me, I’m probably well-qualified to opine on the subject.

My first reaction to this question was … easy peasy … the player has nothing to lose, and a lot to gain. Yet, that little voice we all hear (you do know that voice, don’t you?) told me to reassess my assumption.

(Naturally the stakehorse has a few considerations of his own before entering the fray:

> Trust. Of course.

> Confidence. Natch.

> Timeline. One-off or long term project?)

As with so much in life, I believe the question of pressure comes down to relationships.

If it’s Mr. S. Horse’s first flutter with Mr. Player, I imagine the pressure to prevail falls squarely upon the player. Probably true for the next couple of ventures as well.

The backer can, presumably, afford the loss; the player doesn’t want to squander the trust. Nor the future opportunities. Nor the negative peer appraisal.

If, after several contests, the relationship continues, I believe the player can relax a bit -- comfortable with the financial contract, optimistic regarding the long-term relationship, and reasonably upbeat about his backer-vetted chances to win -- all without those nagging ‘how do I explain this to the wife if I lose the money?’ questions.

Shining a precision spotlight into the demimonde of pool is my life,

Sunny

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dear Gentle Readers,

Since the most I’ve ever wagered on a game of pool is a drink, and since nobody in the known universe would consider placing even that pittance at risk on me, I’m probably well-qualified to opine on the subject.

My first reaction to this question was … easy peasy … the player has nothing to lose, and a lot to gain. Yet, that little voice we all hear (you do know that voice, don’t you?) told me to reassess my assumption.

(Naturally the stakehorse has a few considerations of his own before entering the fray:

> Trust. Of course.

> Confidence. Natch.

> Timeline. One-off or long term project?)

As with so much in life, I believe the question of pressure comes down to relationships.

If it’s Mr. S. Horse’s first flutter with Mr. Player, I imagine the pressure to prevail falls squarely upon the player. Probably true for the next couple of ventures as well.

The backer can, presumably, afford the loss; the player doesn’t want to squander the trust. Nor the future opportunities. Nor the negative peer appraisal.

If, after several contests, the relationship continues, I believe the player can relax a bit -- comfortable with the financial contract, optimistic regarding the long-term relationship, and reasonably upbeat about his backer-vetted chances to win -- all without those nagging ‘how do I explain this to the wife if I lose the money?’ questions.

Shining a precision spotlight into the demimonde of pool is my life,

Sunny

sunny do you consider yourself a demimondaine?
just askin
:grin:

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That answer for me, is more!

Every time i played with someone elses money, it put more pressure on me, cause if i lose, then i got to worry what they are going to say, are they thinking i dumped them, cause i happen to play bad that set.

Much easier to play on your own money, if you lose atlesae you dont have to answer to anybody, or hear any negative bullshit!

And most of the time when i played, i was always betting all my money, if i lost it wasnt no big deal i been broke many a times.

So with that frame of mind it tend to put less pressure on me!

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I only played with a backer when they requested staking me because they believed me to be a lock. I do not feel any pressure when they request staking me. I always tell myself and everyone that I will do my best.

I prefer to play on my own cash because I don't like sharing. :D

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
well

That answer for me, is more!

Every time i played with someone elses money, it put more pressure on me, cause if i lose, then i got to worry what they are going to say, are they thinking i dumped them, cause i happen to play bad that set.

Much easier to play on your own money, if you lose atlesae you dont have to answer to anybody, or hear any negative bullshit!

And most of the time when i played, i was always betting all my money, if i lost it wasnt no big deal i been broke many a times.

So with that frame of mind it tend to put less pressure on me!

I've had people back me and others who've wanted to back me. I tell them basically two things. One, you wanted to back me so understand it's on you. Two, anything we win is yours if you wanna give me something that's fine but I don't expect it. I just love to play. Some like it and some don't.most insist up front to give me half of the winnings. I don't know if they understand that I'm serious about not caring about the money. Don't get me wrong if I won it's nice to have a little sumpin thrown my way, but I care more about just playing.

Jaden

Last edited:

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
Playing on my own money is simple.

Backers money brings in alot of questions and or excuses.

I like simple.

It leaves only the game to focus on.

:groucho:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
For whatever reason it takes a load off my mind to not pay. I hate losing even a dollar.
Not that I'm so broke or I never waste money otherwise, I just hate losing money at pool.
I pretty much don't gamble but occasionally if someone backs me, I can just relax.
I play better than I would betting my own.

I don't worry about the well running dry because I'm not addicted to action and if I never
got another money game again I don't care. I do care though if a friend thinks
I let them down. But they're never gonna see me shoot halfassed on their dime.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been staked only once and i lost... I really should have scraped the guy i was playing against, but I did feel more pressure. If i ever get backed again, i will keep some of these comments in mind.

On the other hand, I've had people place side bets against me, and that made me only play better. I cleaned up on a guy who was as good, if not better than I. Pride can be a powerful thing....

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I've won more times than I've lost with a backer.

I've also won more betting my own than I've lost,and won more betting my own than I've won while playing on a backer's dime.

My feelings on it are pretty simple. While I HAVE won with someone behind me,I never felt 100% comfortable with MYSELF OR my chances against a given opponent when I'm not betting my own.

It puts me in a negative frame of mind to not have the bankroll to finance the game myself,and it can affect my decision making and execution once the game has started,due to trying too hard to "protect" my backer's investment. Because of this,I've lost to guys that had never beaten me out of my own money.

I know that it's not supposed to work like that,where you freewheel when it's not costing you anything if you lose,but it's never worked out that way for me.

The biggest sets I've ever played (won,came out even,or lost),and the biggest scores I've ever made,were accomplished by having the cash to make the game myself.

On the other hand,I might look at it different,and perform better if the backer wasn't a close friend. I've never let a stranger or casual acquaintance get involved on my end. Tommy D.

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
A good backer backs you up, a bad backer holds you back, the worst backer holds you up.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
totally dependent on the personality of the player

^^ this.

If you are the type of person that worries about what other people think (like me), playing for other people's money would definately increase the pressure.

ie....in my own house I dont use a coaster for my drinks, in someone else's house I would......

liakos

Banned
totally dependent on the personality of the player

And I will add the stakehorse as well! I play both and play a hair better with a stakehorse! I think the relationship between the player and stakehorse is huge! My guy tells me to play, I play! He has told me he will put me in the box even if its 70% against me! He knows I will try, and he knows I don't give up, EVER!!!! I was down 14-5 going to 15 and came back to win 1k! My friend was hooked, and we've made some$$$! When I lose, I feel bad and he says dude, don't sweat it, we are still so ahead it doesn't matter! I like being in the box and he enjoys putting me there! Again, basically what nostroke says, just and the stakehorse as well!:)

I often used to Ginky

I often used to back Ginky,
Here's a great story. Let me preface this to that Ginky and I were close friends since around 89 til he died. Ours wasn't just a business relationship.

One day he calls me up and says we have a fish coming into Amsterdam in an hour. Can I stake him and how much can I bring. Before 5pm that answer is nearly unlimited. This day I had little on me. I was fortunate that Citibank in manhattan allowed me $1,500 per day at the ATM. I told him this and he says, "that's all". It gave me a hint as to what we were in for. He told me to get 5 hundreds and the rest singles. He wanted a big roll, lol.

So I show up around 8pm and waited. Both Ginky and this older man were both late. No one knew there was any action going down. Ginky wanted it quiet. So, instead of playing on the front 2 tables as was the norm at Amsterdam (upper west side) we went off to the private room in the back. I forget the spot, but it was ridiculous. Alternating breaks. And alternating games giving the 2 out, then the 3 out, back to 2 out. It was small stakes. 2 or 3 hundred per game, not by the set. This guy has his driver pulling hundreds out of a leather satchel. Unbelievable. I figured that by this time tomorrow night, Ginky is gonna be int the Caribbean. 30 minutes in they have an argument. Ginky is robbing this guy. We're up maybe 2 grand. I whisper to Ginky, "shut the f@ck up. Give him the game". He continues arguing and about what, I had no idea. Next thing I know, they are both unscrewing. The end. Ginky was hot. So, as I walked him out to the exit I asked him what the hell he was doing. It was going to be a big score. I'll never forget his answer. "I was protecting the bank"

Last edited:

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to play on my own money. If I lose it doesn't really bother me that much. If someone backs me or takes part of my bet then I feel bad if I lose. I've won and lost money both ways and to me there is a difference. Winning while being staked feels great, but loosing while being staked feels shitty. Winning on my own money is nice and loosing my own money doesn't hurt too bad. I guess you could say that I'd rather not have a backer unless I have to (high stakes).

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I'd worry more about loosing someone else's money than loosing my own. Mainly because I wouldn't feel comfortable that my backer had as accurate a perception of my game as I do when he offered to risk his money.

Most backers don't play as well as the person they are backing and I'd feel they may mentally put me on some pedestal in their head that I don't belong on.

I'd rather risk my own money any day. But that's because i'm a nice guy and I care about others.. :thumbup:

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A good backer backs you up, a bad backer holds you back, the worst backer holds you up.

This is true.

A good stakehorse is awesome but a bad horse is a burden. It's not even really about a worry of losing their money it is just the negative energy that some of them bring.