us open format not legit for history

freds

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
> You should change your name to clueless.

This was unnecessary.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
While listening to the comments during many on line Open matches, I heard they played nearly 500 matches in 3 dayz of play, to get down to 16. Personally, this format is more grueling than in the past if you get knocked over early. You have to be in darn good shape to pull off this win....best to stay on the winners side and get an extra day off like Shane and one other???? player did in the final group of 8 matches. Shane & another had Wed. off....the other 12 finalists had to play single knock out Wed.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know about not being a legitimate title, but I agree that having the format change has a very good change on affecting who the winner may have been, or will be in future ones. If a player goes in undefeated to the final rounds then loses, he has no second shot. And almost anyone that makes it to the top 16 can still win from that.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Change is hard, probably even moreso for us older folks.
But I think it is easier if you just find a way to shift your
Paradigm to adjust to it...... I see this new format as two
Separate tournaments, with one just to qualify for the ‘real’
U.S. Open..which is the final 16.

I do think that seeding players should play a more important
Role going into the future....but that goes even further against
The OP’s premise.

Td

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Few, if any, of us agree with the conclusion drawn in the opening post in the thread, but I, for one, appreciate the sentiment in it.

This isn't the US Open as we knew it, but from a historical perspective, what difference would it make if Matchroom called their new event in Vegas "The American 9-ball Championships?" Would we somehow be robbed of the memories of US Opens past? No, not really. Those memories are for keeps, part of pool's lore.

Matchroom, in obtaining the rights to the US Open 9-ball name and bringing this event to Vegas, where far greater fanfare is available than in the past, has grabbed the baton from the Behrmans and it is Matchroom's turn to run with it. They are doing it without abruptness or lack of respect for the event's history. The US Open trophy is now known as the Barry Behrman trophy, and Barry's kids, Brady and Shannon, were center stage and were a shining presence at this year's event, reminding us all of the tournament's roots.

Matchroom is not discarding the history of the US Open, but instead embracing it and building upon it, but it's their event now and, as the most skillful event producers in our sport, they'll add their special touches to the event.

... but there's nothing wrong with feeling regret with respect to the transition. The original poster's sentiments are, in fact, valid, at least to a point.

*TAP*TAP*TAP Good post.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
after some serious thought the new us open format is not legitimate because, mika won two us opens after losing and fighting his way back and winning.. This was an unbelievable accomplishment not included in the discussions. History is only accurate if the format is the same and the evolution of the equipment is another topic. Let go back to the old format and history can be legitimate. Love the us open best tournament in the world.
Mika in the HOF is a joke btw. Js

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
What is the 2nd bone?

Something to do with top level players from a certain island looking alike, at least that’s what I gathered with extreme reasoning.

Drop it chef.

I don’t have A solid opinion on this topic but I do like double elimination when I loose my first match, it happens sometimes.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Yes, it's different. Best to embrace the change. Matchroom has shown the way.

Bob Dylan was right when he observed that "the times they are a changin," and it's your every right to prefer the past, but in pool and in life, time marches on and things change.

Stu, right as rain, as usual...

Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone

For the times they are a-changin'.

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't care about the format so much as the gimmick of jump cues being allowed.

I'm convinced if players had to jump with the full playing cue there would have been a different group of players in the final 8. Jump cues turn it into an arcade game.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mika in the HOF is a joke btw. Js
Back to back US Opens and throw in a REAL World Championship in 9 Ball without even considering his straight pool accomplishments puts him in. Just because he burnt out a bit and cant stop flapping his hands doesn't dq him imho.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Back to back US Opens and throw in a REAL World Championship in 9 Ball without even considering his straight pool accomplishments puts him in. Just because he burnt out a bit and cant stop flapping his hands doesn't dq him imho.

He also won a sanctioned World 10-ball Championship. In 14.1, he has won the Predator World Championship (not WPA sanctioned) and the Derby City 14.1 Challenge, two of the tougher 14.1 events to win here in America. He has won the Challenge of Champions. Add in his two US Open 9-ball titles and a World 9-ball Championship and there really isn't much to discuss.

Mika in the HOF was a no-brainer.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He also won a sanctioned World 10-ball Championship. In 14.1, he has won the Predator World Championship (not WPA sanctioned) and the Derby City 14.1 Challenge, two of the tougher 14.1 events to win here in America. He has won the Challenge of Champions. Add in his two US Open 9-ball titles and a World 9-ball Championship and there really isn't much to discuss.

Mika in the HOF was a no-brainer.

Plus a WCOP of pool I think and a few Mosconi Cups.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't care about the format so much as the gimmick of jump cues being allowed.

I'm convinced if players had to jump with the full playing cue there would have been a different group of players in the final 8. Jump cues turn it into an arcade game.

Yep, jump cues at the pro level take away too much from the game. I would rather see no jump cues and the current single elim final round than double elim all the way with jump cues. Heck, many of the local tournaments don't allow jump cues, why not the pros?
Allow two cues to use, both with a min length and weight requirement, can jump with either one. Say 56" and 16 oz as the limits. Players are too good now with all other advancements in equipment to allow a crutch like a jump cue that allows anyone to jump a ball.

I always point out the fact that my son when he was like 12 was able to clear a full ball with a jump cue on his 3rd try ever with one. Who wants that type of thing in the pro game?

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Few, if any, of us agree with the conclusion drawn in the opening post in the thread, but I, for one, appreciate the sentiment in it.

This isn't the US Open as we knew it, but from a historical perspective, what difference would it make if Matchroom called their new event in Vegas "The American 9-ball Championships?" Would we somehow be robbed of the memories of US Opens past? No, not really. Those memories are for keeps, part of pool's lore.

Matchroom, in obtaining the rights to the US Open 9-ball name and bringing this event to Vegas, where far greater fanfare is available than in the past, has grabbed the baton from the Behrmans and it is Matchroom's turn to run with it. They are doing it without abruptness or lack of respect for the event's history. The US Open trophy is now known as the Barry Behrman trophy, and Barry's kids, Brady and Shannon, were center stage and were a shining presence at this year's event, reminding us all of the tournament's roots.

Matchroom is not discarding the history of the US Open, but instead embracing it and building upon it, but it's their event now and, as the most skillful event producers in our sport, they'll add their special touches to the event.

... but there's nothing wrong with feeling regret with respect to the transition. The original poster's sentiments are, in fact, valid, at least to a point.

This is a very good statement regarding both sides of the coin. I agree.
Another factor to those who think like the OP....

I watched Pat Fleming, who was, in my opinion, treated unfairly by the Berhman's regarding the changeover to Matchroom--that said, Pat not only endorsed the new Matchroom US Open, but he entered and played in the tournament as well.

That right there is a pretty solid move by the pool ambassador himself, Mr. Fleming, and I was settled in my mind that it was ok to let go and enjoy the show--and I very much did.
We also have the US International Open now (started by Mr. Fleming) and more pool action/history to be made.

Great times for Great sport. Let's all cheer them on.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

you mean flipping his hands? tbh i think it has become a tic that he can't help. i watched a streamed match some months ago and i think i counted 30+ hand flips

but of course HOF worthy. he used to be a proper force. nowadays not so much

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This is a very good statement regarding both sides of the coin. I agree.
Another factor to those who think like the OP....

I watched Pat Fleming, who was, in my opinion, treated unfairly by the Berhman's regarding the changeover to Matchroom--that said, Pat not only endorsed the new Matchroom US Open, but he entered and played in the tournament as well.

That right there is a pretty solid move by the pool ambassador himself, Mr. Fleming, and I was settled in my mind that it was ok to let go and enjoy the show--and I very much did.
We also have the US International Open now (started by Mr. Fleming) and more pool action/history to be made.

Great times for Great sport. Let's all cheer them on.

Excellent point. Pat is all class.

... and there's room for BOTH the new edition of the US Open and the International, both of which have added to the pro pool scene here in America.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP making a boo boo like GOT

screenshot-2019-05-06-at-41106-pm_9hjn.910.png

:thumbup: