CTE/ProOne Robotics

jwpretd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In another thread, Mike Page suggested a definition of "exact" that involved programming a robot to find correct pivot points using CTE/ProOne. I started a new thread for this because I don't consider CTE/ProOne a pivot system in the sense intended by the "Proofs of the EXACTNESS of Pivot Systems" thread. Among other things, neither the pivot nor the cue are necessary to apply the system successfully.

This is a brief general outline of how I think a robot could be programmed to use CTE/ProOne. Many details depend on how the robot knows the locations (and orientations where appropriate) of itself, the balls, and the pockets. Fortunately, those details don't matter to the algorithm. It'd be easiest in a VP3-like system where everything is calculated, but almost any visual data acquisition system system would work. Binocular vision might be helpful but isn't necessary and might introduce more difficulties than it'd be worth. The following assumes that a monocular vision system is used to acquire all external data the robot needs. I've attempted to not use any raw data not available to the player, at least in some form; I think that effort was successful, but it should be checked.

The robot starts with a practice phase. An arbitrary (but not straight-in) shot is set up. The robot computes and records the cut angle. The cut angle is used to select the correct secondary alignment point on the object ball (left-1/8, A, B, C, or right-1/8) and cue ball (left edge, left-1/8, right-1/8 or right edge). The robot then aligns itself by iteratively calculating CTE and secondary alignment lines and adjusting its position and orientation until the criteria specified for correct alignment are met. The robot then iteratively makes test shots from candidate bridge positions until it finds two different ones that drive the object ball across the center of the pocket. From the two bridge positions, it calculates the CB-GB line for that shot. The robot then selects some point along that CB-GB line that is fairly close to the CTE line and that gives a fairly normal bridge length; this is the initial bridge position for future shots. The robot considers this point to be the apex of the 90-degree angle of a right triangle that has the CB-GB line as its long side and the CTE line as its hypotenuse (there are other ways of handling this but as a right triangle is probably simplest).

For each subsequent shot, the robot determines the new cut angle and uses that to select the appropriate new secondary alignment points. It iteratively finds new CTE and secondary alignment lines and adjusts its alignment until the halting criteria are met. The change in cut angle plus the angular difference between the old and new CTE lines determines the change in angle between the old and new CTE-to-GB angles; from that last angle change, the robot calculates a new CTE-line-to-bridge-point distance (and/or bridge length if that seems desirable). Once the new bridge point is found, the robot aligns the cue from the bridge point to the CB center, completing the "aiming" portion of the shot.

Assuming all of that actually works (no, I'm not going to write the code to test it), then I think it shows there's at least one reasonably sound theoretical basis for CTE/ProOne, though I expect Stan Shuffett doesn't think about it like this at all. It also meets Mike Page's definition of "exact".

Of course, it doesn't say anything at all about it being "exact" as used by humans. I know of no aiming system that is "exact" when used by humans, perhaps excepting short straight-in shots. It's certainly possible that with practice a human can be come so proficient with CTE/ProOne that they rarely need to "adjust" while moving into bridge position.

Oh... and note that the robot didn't pivot or use its cue at all in this :).

NOTES:

It would be interesting to know the bridge point's range of distances from the CTE line over a range of normal bridge lengths. By inspection (of a number of 3D drawings), I think the range is fairly small - in the plus/minus 1/4-inch range and centered around 1/2-inch - over a six to twelve inch bridge length range. Of course, that could be very wrong - I couldn't get SketchUp to measure those distances (admittedly, I didn't try very hard).

It could be argued that the practice phase constitutes "feel" rather than "exactness", especially the use of successive approximations to find the initial CB-GB line. With respect to that I see two points. First, all systems require the user to practice with them to become proficient; people don't seem to complain that practicing visualizing the ghost ball is "feel". Second, a whole lot of people, especially A-to-D builders, would argue that determining a value by successive approximations gives VERY exact results.

It could be argued that explicitly using the cut angle and the old-to-new CTE line angle changes quantitatively constitutes using information in a way that a human player cannot (avoiding that was one of the goals of this exercise). First, I would say that doing so does not invalidate CTE/ProOne as a system that can produce precise results; at worst, it may indicate that using CTE/ProOne to locate a precise bridge point is beyond human capabilities; that an approximation within some limits is the best a human can do. Second, humans are very good at working in 3D perspective space (they get a lot of practice), and I think they use the same information the robot does, but once their vision system "understands" the desired result, it applies the data automatically and simultaneously (rather like an analog computer might, but I really know zip about those).

It would be simpler to use the cut angle change to directly calculate the new CB-GB line, but that doesen't seem to me to be what the CTE/ProOne procedure is designed to do; rather, it finds a bridge point on that line without knowing where the GB is located (sort of).

While the robot "sees" the CTE and secondary alignment lines in 3D space and makes its adjustments accordingly, I think it's safe to do angle and distance calculations in the table's perspective plane. I do think it's necessary to use the perspective plane for calculations, however. For one thing, that's what the player's vision-brain system does (in its analogish way). Also, all of the robot's activity and feedback occurs in perspective space (albeit monocular). Also keep in mind that this perspective space has vanishing points along all three axes, and the robot uses the z-axis for the secondary alignment points, which lie on the equator or top of the ball as seen by the robot in perspective and will therefore be slightly "tilted" with respect to the plane of the table).

If we were going to build a real pool playing robot, then during the practice phase it could also acquire information such as cloth speed, how subject this set of balls is to throw and transferred english (i.e., how "sticky" they are) on a per-ball basis, how the cushions respond on bank shots, etc. If it wanted to be really picky, it could also determine each ball's exact diameter and use that information to adjust the shot (since balls larger or smaller than the cue ball won't behave the same as ones that are exactly the cue ball's size). It could also gather information on squirt and swerve at various shot speeds, and test the results of masse and jump shots. In the shot making process, once the cue was aligned along the bridge to CB center line, the robot would adjust the cue's alignment as needed for throw, squirt, etc. It could do all of that very accurately.

For those still worried about getting infinite cut angles from a finite set of alignment points: If the cut angle for the new shot differs any at all from that for the previous shot, then the angle between the CTE line and the CB-GB line also changes. This is true even if the new shot uses the same secondary alignment points on the cue ball and object ball as did the previous shot. The robot/player has moved during the alignment process and the new CTE and secondary alignment lines are not at the old angle to the OB-Pocket line, even though the alignment lines are pointing at the same points on the OB as seen relative to the cue ball. This is trivial to test.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well done...kudos.
I hold that how one perceives the secondary aim points is key to the riddle. If the shooter aims between the eyes or is right eye dominant or left eye dominant will affect the outcome of the cut angle to...1/8, A, B, C and 1/8. What hasn't been proffered is what each cut angle for a 1/2 tip offset should result. If that is proffered, then one can adjust his visualization to achieve those cut angles. I prefer that the shooter keep the bridge distance between the CB remain constant for the comfort of the shooter and that the tip offset be adjusted for the distance between the CB and OB. For short distances between the CB and OB be greater than 1/2 offset and for large distances between the two less.

Kudos...jwpretd:):thumbup:

pablocruz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well done...kudos.
I hold that how one perceives the secondary aim points is key to the riddle. If the shooter aims between the eyes or is right eye dominant or left eye dominant will affect the outcome of the cut angle to...1/8, A, B, C and 1/8. What hasn't been proffered is what each cut angle for a 1/2 tip offset should result. If that is proffered, then one can adjust his visualization to achieve those cut angles. I prefer that the shooter keep the bridge distance between the CB remain constant for the comfort of the shooter and that the tip offset be adjusted for the distance between the CB and OB. For short distances between the CB and OB be greater than 1/2 offset and for large distances between the two less.

I seem to think on the lines that the CTEL is the key as it is forever changing for each and every shot..I don't think eye dominance plays into it as much as one would think!!

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
John -- nice work. A couple comments.

If I found the Mike Page definition of "exact" that you refer to, it is: "EXACT ... means you can program a robot to follow the steps and get to the right line--i.e., get the bridge hand in the right spot."

So Mike is saying that Stan's CTE method is exact if one could program a robot to follow the steps prescribed by Stan and get to the right line. Your robot seems to go well beyond what Stan prescribes, in that your robot determines the precise cut angle as input to choosing the correct secondary alignment point and calculating a precise bridge length.

But Stan's CTE, for a cut in either direction, just offers a discrete number (5, 6, 8 -- depending on who is counting) of alignments from which to choose. The player does not know the actual cut angle, he just learns from experience which of the 8 (say) to choose for a particular looking shot. Nor can the player calculate a precise bridge distance; he is just supposed to choose from among a set of 4 choices recommended by Stan.

Therefore, for two similar shots with just a slightly different cut angle, the player is likely to choose the same one of the 8 alignments. And if the CB/OB separation is the same for both shots, he will also use the same bridge distance for both shots. The OB will then travel on the same cut angles for the two shots, whereas slightly different cut angles are needed. For the two shots, your robot knows about the changed angles of the alignment lines to the OB/pocket line; the human does not.

In other words, it seems to me that your robot is not "exact" by Mike's definition, because it is able to do things to "find the right line" that a human could not in following the steps on Stan's DVD.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
John -- nice work. A couple comments.

If I found the Mike Page definition of "exact" that you refer to, it is: "EXACT ... means you can program a robot to follow the steps and get to the right line--i.e., get the bridge hand in the right spot."

So Mike is saying that Stan's CTE method is exact if one could program a robot to follow the steps prescribed by Stan and get to the right line. Your robot seems to go well beyond what Stan prescribes, in that your robot determines the precise cut angle as input to choosing the correct secondary alignment point and calculating a precise bridge length.

But Stan's CTE, for a cut in either direction, just offers a discrete number (5, 6, 8 -- depending on who is counting) of alignments from which to choose. The player does not know the actual cut angle, he just learns from experience which of the 8 (say) to choose for a particular looking shot. Nor can the player calculate a precise bridge distance; he is just supposed to choose from among a set of 4 choices recommended by Stan.

Therefore, for two similar shots with just a slightly different cut angle, the player is likely to choose the same one of the 8 alignments. And if the CB/OB separation is the same for both shots, he will also use the same bridge distance for both shots. The OB will then travel on the same cut angles for the two shots, whereas slightly different cut angles are needed. For the two shots, your robot knows about the changed angles of the alignment lines to the OB/pocket line; the human does not.

In other words, it seems to me that your robot is not "exact" by Mike's definition, because it is able to do things to "find the right line" that a human could not in following the steps on Stan's DVD.

You made me happy- well described!
Without any offense towards a cte-user. REally enjoying if it works for somebody :)

lg
INgo

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seem to think on the lines that the CTEL is the key as it is forever changing for each and every shot..I don't think eye dominance plays into it as much as one would think!!

I wish that you would define the exact cut angles achieved by the secondary aim points 1/8, A, B, C and 1/8 for I haven't seen them posted yet. If the CTE is exact, then the cut angles will be the same for all users of CTE.

I hold that the eye/s help in determining the final stance of the shooter before he places his bridge/cue on the table with the 1/2 (whatever) tip offset pre-pivot.

I hold that the secondary aim is ever changing for the cut angle and distances between the CB and OB....please explain your concept of how to effect these everchanging factors?

inquiring minds would like to know.:wink::thumbup:

Last edited:

jwpretd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regarding using the exact cut angle:
Your robot seems to go well beyond what Stan prescribes....
I'll get back to this later. I touched on it briefly in that long mess I originally posted, but it probably deserves more discussion.

Therefore, for two similar shots with just a slightly different cut angle, the player is likely to choose the same one of the 8 alignments. And if the CB/OB separation is the same for both shots, he will also use the same bridge distance for both shots. The OB will then travel on the same cut angles for the two shots, whereas slightly different cut angles are needed.
To have a different cut angle, either the OB or CB or both must have moved from the original position(s). If the player doesn't move (realign) then the original visualized CTEL and A or B or whatever lines are no longer visually in the right place. He is forced to move to restore the correct visual alignment, which causes him to find new CTE, etc, lines. Below is a picture; it's not in perspective, but the principle holds. I haven't figured out how to type below an attachment, so I'll have to do it here.

In both cases, we have an outside CTE line (the red line) and a left-CB-edge to OB B line (the green line). The ball with the roughly dashed outline is the ghost ball. Clearly the shots go at different angles. I probably should draw this out in 3D where the orientation of the table top on the screen would indicate the player's alignment.

Attachments

• diffAnglesFromSameAimPt.jpg
    diffAnglesFromSameAimPt.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 632

jwpretd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well done...kudos.
I hold that how one perceives the secondary aim points is key to the riddle.

Thank you, not only for the compliment, but also for the information you've contributed to the overall CTE/ProOne discussion. That helped quite a bit in thinking about this stuff.

I think you're absolutely right about the perception of the secondary aim points being the driving force behind the methodology. The movement of the secondary point across the face of the OB (and sometimes the CB) forces the player to reposition himself to have the correct visual image. I believe the effect of that is to reduce the angle between the OB-to-GB line and the CTE line. That in turn keeps the distance the bridge point is offset from the CTE line fairly small, and fairly close to constant for "normal" bridge lengths. It would be possible to calculate a bunch of test cases and see what actually happens but I don't intend to do that. I'll live with estimating it by examining not-really-enough images unless by some magic my staff from UCSD gets shipped to central Texas and I can again make them handle that sort of grunge work.

I compliment Stan on the effort he must have put into this, and on his insight and ability to pay close attention to the details of what he actually saw and did while trying to turn Hal's descriptions into something generally usable.

While giving identifiers (A, B, etc) to the secondary points was clearly necessary, it was also sort of unfortunate. A lot of people seem to be unable to grasp that they're movable references for aligning the player's body, and that their relationship to the CB-GB line shifts with even the slightest change in cut angle.

Last edited:

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just move the pocket

To have a different cut angle, either the OB or CB or both must have moved from the original position(s). If the player doesn't move (realign) then the original visualized CTEL and A or B or whatever lines are no longer visually in the right place. He is forced to move to restore the correct visual alignment, which causes him to find new CTE, etc, lines.
To get a different cut angle, you can also keep the OB and CB exactly where they are and simply move the pocket a small distance such that the contact point/GB locations change slightly. What does the robot do now?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
AtLarge:
So Mike is saying that Stan's CTE method is exact if one could program a robot to follow the steps prescribed by Stan and get to the right line. Your robot seems to go well beyond what Stan prescribes
In other words, this robot isn't testing CTE.

pj
chgo

champ2107

Banned
Tell them you already figure out the purpose of the secondary aim points PJ. Tell them that all they are is window dressing lol

champ2107

Banned
Pj, i counter everything you posted about cte and you are unable to come up with an answer every time. Anytime your post is countered you come back with an insult or you change to topic or get behind someones else's opinion.

You made the statement that its window dressing! i would like to hear you explain why its just window dressing or are you going to dodge this one also?
explain it than i will give you my opinion again.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Pj, i counter everything you posted about cte and you are unable to come up with an answer every time. Anytime your post is countered you come back with an insult or you change to topic or get behind someones else's opinion.

You made the statement that its window dressing! i would like to hear you explain why its just window dressing or are you going to dodge this one also?
explain it than i will give you my opinion again.
The system gives no clear instruction for how to use the aim point. "Visualize it" is meaningless.

Here's your chance to be brilliant, champ. Exactly how does a player use this window dressing? I'll give you some more guidance: where in relation to the aimpoint line does the player place his stick before pivoting?

I'm sure these are trivial questions for somebody who understands CTE as thoroughly as you do.

pj
chgo

champ2107

Banned
The system gives no clear instruction for how to use the aim point. "Visualize it" is meaningless.

Here's your chance to be brilliant, champ. Exactly how does a player use this window dressing? I'll give you some more guidance: where in relation to the aimpoint line does the player place his stick before pivoting?

I'm sure these are trivial questions for somebody who understands CTE as thoroughly as you do.

pj
chgo

I have been brilliant so far in these threads and have explained that all already like i said before. Dont talk about guidance to me lol So we are talking about the dvds instructions again? You are all over the map and you try and wiggle out of everything lol theres not a person on this board that would relate what you posted "aim lines are window dressing" to "where in relation to the aimpoint line does the player place his stick before pivoting?" Its hilarious following your posts here, i think you constantly confuse yourself and thats why you can not figure anything out lol

This a pm i got maybe 2 weeks ago, i exchanged 4 or 5 pm with this person and have removed his name also.

Hi Sir

I bought the DVD but I do not understand where do I align my cue in the pre pivot position after I visually recognize the CTE and edge pointing to ABC of the OB

Can you help me?

I do not want to post another thread on CTE as there are too many negative responses.[/QUOTE]

I got this pm yesterday from him

Hello

Today I went to the poolhall and practise CTE. You are right, everyone is overthinking the pre pivot line. I found it easily just by looking out for the CTEL and the Aimpoint ABC and then simply facing this 2 aimpoints and start pivot from left or right.

Guess what, my potting percentage went up by a lot.

Towards the end of my session, I think I can even go into Pro one easily by using my eyes to pivot left/right and then lay down my bridge.

Thanks for pointing the right way to me.

One thing that I don't like is for some shots not so obvious, I need to remember the pivots, but this is a small issue that I can overcome with more practise.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

The answers i gave him i have posted a number of times already in open threads! you dont pay attention so i will not repeat it again but tell you to go find it. This guy was smart enough to find the answers he wanted, how come you cant? this why i say you have FAILED in other posts.

Last edited:

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Well done...kudos.

Don't you use both eyes to aim with?

randyg