Basic rule question on scratches

cstrombe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This always confuses me (very much newbie here). Let's say there are 10 balls on the table at the start of a player's turn. Player makes two balls. On the third shot, he makes the shot called, and the cue ball rolls into a pocket for a scratch. So that last object ball gets spotted, leaving 8 balls on the table, right? Does the player score 2 points (made three called shots, minus one for the foul) or 1 point (made two called shots--last shot is "erased" since it occurred during a foul--minus one leaves one point)?

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn't it depend on how your keeping score? If your keeping inning and game seperately he would get two for the inning (made two legal shots) and -1 for the game (for the scratch). The game total is updated before the start of the next rack, at least that's how we do it. Previous game total plus the inning total.

I may be using the term inning incorrectly, but I hope you get the idea.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn't it depend on how your keeping score? If your keeping inning and game seperately he would get two for the inning (made two legal shots) and -1 for the game (for the scratch). The game total is updated before the start of the next rack, at least that's how we do it. Previous game total plus the inning total.

I may be using the term inning incorrectly, but I hope you get the idea.

I think you're right, I had to scan the post rather quickly. You should be keeping a total and an inning score, with the scratch subtracted from the total, yes.