What do you do with chalk when it gets low?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pull off the top half of the paper? Sand it down by rubbing the top on a sidewalk? Throw it out?

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it's my chalk I replace. Even nicer chalk like Blue Diamond is cheap considering how long it last and I like relatively new chalk cubes so it's worth it to me. If I was buying really expensive stuff like Kamui I'm sure I'd play it further.

detroitfan0877

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to sand it down on my belt sander and re-use it, however I split 12 dozen with my dad and so now I just pitch them

the chicken

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use Blue Diamond chalk that's installed in a flexible plastic "nine ball" holder. When it gets low I "donate" it to the pool hall, with the thought that someone else may feel the improvement over the (Tweeten?) norm.

Shoot safe.

John

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I leave it at the pool hall. Right now Ive got 3 gross of chalk. Im hard to shop for so my wife asked for gift ideas last christmas. I said that I could use a couple of boxes of chalk...... I meant the dozen boxes. She bought me 2 gross of triangle.

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thank it for its service, have a moment of silence, and leave it buried deep in the box of chalks.

JAMSGOLF

Golf & Pool-I'm addicted!
Silver Member
Just this morning I had to use the utility knife to trim down the paper on the edges of the cube of Magic Chalk. I'm a "swiper" not a "grinder", so I don't leave a big hole in the middle of the cube. :)

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to sand it down on my belt sander and re-use it, however I split 12 dozen with my dad and so now I just pitch them

You remind me of a funny story. I used to play in a bowling alley when I was a teen. It had 10 GC tables and 24 lanes. Really nice family run place. One day the owner who played billiards and had a table there for his own use gets an idea.

He see all this used chalk and has the kid who was kind of the goofer there collect it all up. There was at least a few hundred pieces. He has the kid go behind the machines where there was like a workshop that the bowling mech used.

The kid puts a belt sander in a vice and starts sanding down all the used chalk. Even the ones that were not that low. He gets done and comes out looking like one of those guys in the Blue man troupe
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/450417292707635201/INGRyxSH_400x400.jpeg

This kid was not too bright anyway and being all blue was funny enough but it was not till later that night we found what he had actually done.
About half way through the first league on about 8 of the lanes near where he had worked grinding the chalk the pins were turning blue.

By the end of the night it was a mess, so much of that chalk had gotten into the machines. They had to take all the pins out and clean them as well as the machines. Like everyone who worked in the bowling alley spent all night there doing this.

I guess since we didn't have to pay for it we all found it really funny. We played pool all night as they working cleaning the machines. At that time you could buy a gross of chalk for like $4.00.

Rampage8408

Registered
if its good i do the ol sidewalk scrub but if its outta my block of masters i chuck em in the back room of the garage....i swear the day i clean it out i will just laugh at all the chalk i find!!!!

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"What do you do with chalk when it gets low? "

Strip the paper about half way then throw it out and get a new one once the paper on the bottom gets pushed out.
My chalk lasts for about three months at the most.
I always chalk before every shot and I play pool almost every day.
Today for example I've been playing for 7 hours.
Same happens tomorrow....

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use predator chalk and when it gets down I cut it down on the band saw and smooth it out on sand paper.

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been using Magic chalk for several months...3 hours a day 5 days a week, chalking every shot....the SAME cube. It's down only about 5/16ths of an inch. A little more and I'll just trim the paper down. I'm a swiper so the center does't get drilled.The stuff is harder than any other chalk I've tried yet it works the best. There is so little powdering that hardly any of it gets on my hands, the table, or the cue shaft but miscues are very rare and when there is one I know it's my fault.
I make nothing for this recommendation as I'm only a happy customer. Mitch

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use Masters Blue and at $20.00 a gross I give them to the house when they get a little used, I like new pieces.---Smitty