Looking for pool etiquette resources

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm trying to develop a set of etiquette guidelines that would work for a pool class. Rather than reinvent the wheel I was hoping that I could find a set of online resources that someone had already created, but I'm not having as much luck as I had hoped. I was surprised that I couldn't find anything on Dr. Dave's site, nor anything in league rules.

Any ideas, or is it going to require creating them myself?

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any chance there is an updated link - it's not working from mobile devices for me. Thank you!

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
A pool etiquette class? You mean a class where pool players learn to be well-behaved?
Good grief, man. Have you never been to a pool hall? Where I play we cuss like sailors, fart, pick our noses, and when a lady passes by we dust off our mustaches in case she needs a place to sit.
Pool etiquette. Jeez Louise. :D

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol Well I thought I could focus on HOW to pick your nose and fart with some class.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A pool etiquette class? You mean a class where pool players learn to be well-behaved?
Good grief, man. Have you never been to a pool hall? Where I play we cuss like sailors, fart, pick our noses, and when a lady passes by we dust off our mustaches in case she needs a place to sit.

Yeah, POOL HALL ETIQUETTE... that's an oxymoron like jumbo shrimp, or government intelligence.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Haha that's amazing. Have anything from the past, oh, 140 years or so? ;)

I read the article and found it interesting, some in your class may as well. Reminds me of a garage sale find when I was a young bartender, Trader Vic's Guide To Bartending. It was from the 40's I think and had some surprisingly good advice on dealing with customers. Although the article may not be exactly what you were looking for, it's still pretty good and may deserve a re-reading.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

It's more about learning how and when to fart plus some good cuss words....

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm trying to develop a set of etiquette guidelines that would work for a pool class. Rather than reinvent the wheel I was hoping that I could find a set of online resources that someone had already created, but I'm not having as much luck as I had hoped. I was surprised that I couldn't find anything on Dr. Dave's site, nor anything in league rules.

I don't have anything on my site on this topic yet, but if you put something together with the help of people here, I would be happy to add it with appropriate credit for future reference.

Good idea,
Dave

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who is the audience of your pool class? Alot of the material you try to collect would probably have some dependence on that. Beginner, social player, typical league players, advance players that might need help with manners :) ......etc?

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL Start with an interview with Earl....that should get the ball rolling in the right direction!

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who is the audience of your pool class? Alot of the material you try to collect would probably have some dependence on that. Beginner, social player, typical league players, advance players that might need help with manners :) ......etc?

It's a college class that anyone could take. I assume people who have played before - so they have some interest - but probably not advanced players.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, FINE..let's start a list

DON'T:

..dump the balls on the table

..sit on the rails

..place drinks or lit cigarettes on the table or rails

..use large amounts of powder..pool is not the pommel horse or rings, nor is it Lebron showing he's ready to rumble. Hand prints, snow Angels or other crime scene related powder evidence should not be on the rails or table surface

..spin, twirl, swing or sword fight with cue

..chalk cue(especially DRILLING) above playing surface

..stand in shooter's direct line of sight while he is shooting.

..make distracting fidgeting/erratic start-stop motions in the peripheral vision of the player in the act of shooting

.....many more

DO:

..Respect the game

..Respect the opponent

..Respect the equipment, room and other patrons

If playing in chicken coop...respect the chickens, and make allowances for local customs;)

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This gem is the best page I've ever found on the subject, BR:

http://www.billiardsforum.info/billiard-room/billiard-room-hall-etiquette.asp

Be sure to read the entire page. You can readily extract the most commonsensical elements seen on the page and customize the principles to your needs.

Arnaldo

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DON'T:

..dump the balls on the table

..sit on the rails

..place drinks or lit cigarettes on the table or rails

..use large amounts of powder..pool is not the pommel horse or rings, nor is it Lebron showing he's ready to rumble. Hand prints, snow Angels or other crime scene related powder evidence should not be on the rails or table surface

..spin, twirl, swing or sword fight with cue

..chalk cue(especially DRILLING) above playing surface

..stand in shooter's direct line of sight while he is shooting.

..make distracting fidgeting/erratic start-stop motions in the peripheral vision of the player in the act of shooting

.....many more

DO:

..Respect the game

..Respect the opponent

..Respect the equipment, room and other patrons

If playing in chicken coop...respect the chickens, and make allowances for local customs;)

Don't stand like a statue staring for minutes on end before taking a shot.

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not sure about posting links on here but if you search on google for "billiards etiquette" without the quotes it comes up with an awful lot of hits.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Virtually all sports have their own unique forms of aggression, competitor insecurities, woofing, clever distracting techniques, jealousies, certifiable nut cases, truly sportsmanlike players (and the opposite) -- tennis; football, basketball; golf; soccer; you name it -- and pool is no exception. Even those involved in games like chess, poker, and practically any activity involving big money, gambling, vested corporate interests, (and political/national interests as with Olympic sports) etc.

It's obviously in our genes whether (expressed or civilly repressed) since we're all the product of a long line of ancestors who made it beyond the caves and continue to survive . . . even prosper.

Arnaldo