Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Can jump shots damage the table or cloth?
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Can jump shots damage the table or cloth?
Old
  (#1)
gobrian77
AzB Silver Member
gobrian77 has a reputation beyond reputegobrian77 has a reputation beyond reputegobrian77 has a reputation beyond reputegobrian77 has a reputation beyond reputegobrian77 has a reputation beyond reputegobrian77 has a reputation beyond reputegobrian77 has a reputation beyond reputegobrian77 has a reputation beyond reputegobrian77 has a reputation beyond reputegobrian77 has a reputation beyond reputegobrian77 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2100

Can jump shots damage the table or cloth? - 08-14-2007, 05:25 AM

I'm (finally) getting a table in a couple of weeks (provided my house is finished ), and I'm pretty concerned with keeping the table in good shape.

I'm covering it with Simonis 860, which isn't available locally so I have to order it from the States (and hire somebody from the factory to make the 450 mile trip from Bangkok to install it)- I'm concerned that jump shots might create "flat" spots that would hinder the balls from rolling true (I kinda doubt the 1" slate will crack or chip... right? ).

One reason I'm wondering about this is that I bought a Sardo Tight-Rack (before researching it) and potential cloth damage was an issue that was often brought up

I'm thinking about a "no jump shots" house rule, but I don't wanna take the aspect out of the game (I like to play 9-ball).

Am I worried over nothing? It's my first table (only an eight-footer but built to international competition specs and pretty darned expensive as the pickings were slim) and I wanna keep it in the best condition possible

Seascape Beach Resort
Koh Samui, Thailand

Playing cues- Andy Gilbert wrapless six-point amboyna burl/ebony/cocobolo, Dominiak wrapless ebony/tulipwood prototype, Mike Stacey wrapless four-point BEM/ebony, Jerico six-point cocobolo, Zac Cues BEM/cocobolo butterfly

Break cue- Varney

Other Cues- Prather w/OB-1, Schon STL-1, McDermott Phoenix COM, Viking F97, Meucci HOF-1, Predator 5K w/314-2

Old
  (#2)
Oddball
It's your break.
Oddball has a reputation beyond reputeOddball has a reputation beyond reputeOddball has a reputation beyond reputeOddball has a reputation beyond reputeOddball has a reputation beyond reputeOddball has a reputation beyond reputeOddball has a reputation beyond reputeOddball has a reputation beyond reputeOddball has a reputation beyond reputeOddball has a reputation beyond reputeOddball has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500
Location: Sitting down until I am called upon to rack the balls once again

08-14-2007, 05:28 AM

If you do it wrong, yes, you can rip the cloth. Better safe than sorry - especially if it's your own table and you paid a hefty sum for it. A little prevention may be inconvenient, but it goes a long way.

:

Old
  (#3)
gobrian77
AzB Silver Member
gobrian77 has a reputation beyond reputegobrian77 has a reputation beyond reputegobrian77 has a reputation beyond reputegobrian77 has a reputation beyond reputegobrian77 has a reputation beyond reputegobrian77 has a reputation beyond reputegobrian77 has a reputation beyond reputegobrian77 has a reputation beyond reputegobrian77 has a reputation beyond reputegobrian77 has a reputation beyond reputegobrian77 has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2007, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball
If you do it wrong, yes, you can rip the cloth. Better safe than sorry - especially if it's your own table and you paid a hefty sum for it. A little prevention may be inconvenient, but it goes a long way.

Yeah, no kidding- I didn't even consider the ripped cloth aspect- that would be bad.

Seascape Beach Resort
Koh Samui, Thailand

Playing cues- Andy Gilbert wrapless six-point amboyna burl/ebony/cocobolo, Dominiak wrapless ebony/tulipwood prototype, Mike Stacey wrapless four-point BEM/ebony, Jerico six-point cocobolo, Zac Cues BEM/cocobolo butterfly

Break cue- Varney

Other Cues- Prather w/OB-1, Schon STL-1, McDermott Phoenix COM, Viking F97, Meucci HOF-1, Predator 5K w/314-2

Old
  (#4)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
08-14-2007, 05:45 AM

I say let them jump! Not by scooping under the ball though!! The cloth will get marks on it, it is unavoidable and a consequence of use.

I would advise that you get a couple of pieces of cloth, 5cm x 5cm, to put under the cue ball when breaking. I have simoonis on my cloth and the visible leftovers of breaking far outnumber those of jumping...

Enjoy the table! It is great for laundry!!

Old
  (#5)
gobrian77
AzB Silver Member

08-14-2007, 05:49 AM

It's not really marks that worry me- I know they're inevitable- it's flat spots.

Most of the tables on the island where I live are so warped and damaged it's depressing to play on them- it's no fun watching a ball suddenly turn left when it was headed for the pocket.

Seascape Beach Resort
Koh Samui, Thailand

Break cue- Varney

Old
  (#6)
Gregg
AzB Silver Member
Gregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2007, 06:04 AM

Jump shots are some of the most unreliable, low percentage shots I can think of; unless you're hosting Johnny Archer, Bustamonte, or the like, I wouldn't want anybody practicing jump shots with my equipment.

Playing Cue: Samsara w/matched 314 (aka "Predator Cheat Stick") Sniper Tip
Jump/Break Cue: Sledgehammer
Hours of Pool: Whatever is fun for me, about 10

Old
  (#7)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
08-14-2007, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrian77
It's not really marks that worry me- I know they're inevitable- it's flat spots.

Most of the tables on the island where I live are so warped and damaged it's depressing to play on them- it's no fun watching a ball suddenly turn left when it was headed for the pocket.
Not sure what you mean by 'flat spots'. The bed is slate- a rock- and the cloth is flat already...

Old
  (#8)
Solartje
the Brunswick BUG bit me
Solartje has a reputation beyond reputeSolartje has a reputation beyond reputeSolartje has a reputation beyond reputeSolartje has a reputation beyond reputeSolartje has a reputation beyond reputeSolartje has a reputation beyond reputeSolartje has a reputation beyond reputeSolartje has a reputation beyond reputeSolartje has a reputation beyond reputeSolartje has a reputation beyond reputeSolartje has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2007, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled
I say let them jump! Not by scooping under the ball though!! The cloth will get marks on it, it is unavoidable and a consequence of use.

I would advise that you get a couple of pieces of cloth, 5cm x 5cm, to put under the cue ball when breaking. I have simoonis on my cloth and the visible leftovers of breaking far outnumber those of jumping...

Enjoy the table! It is great for laundry!!

doesnt the extra cloth high make the ball jump on the break?
maybe u preserve the cloth , but u will be breaking windows, and i dont want 7y of bad luck on my ***

J/B cue: BK2 + AIR
play cue: Bob frey fancy bacote SP leather wrap + 314
table: Custom 9ft Diamond pro

practice: 0h to 8h/week poolplayer: for 6 years

Old
  (#9)
gobrian77
AzB Silver Member

08-14-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled
Not sure what you mean by 'flat spots'. The bed is slate- a rock- and the cloth is flat already...
It's quite possible that I may be concerned out of ignorance- I'm basing the question on what I've read re: the Sardo Tight Rack- it's supposed to "train" your cloth by creating areas where the balls can bed into the cloth- to me that means that the cloth flattens or indents (perhaps imperceptibly so) to seat the balls- jump shots would land very solid and (I guess) could do the same thing.

Seascape Beach Resort
Koh Samui, Thailand

Break cue- Varney

Old
  (#10)
Big Perm
1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Big Perm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Perm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Perm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Perm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Perm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Perm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Perm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Perm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Perm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Perm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Perm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 625

08-14-2007, 07:33 AM

IMHO, use a basic, old-school rack....they work best...

Also, make sure and put a spot to protect the cloth where the head ball is on the break....

Also, the no jump rule sounds like a good one....it will save the cloth, avoid scooping by newbs, and improve your kicking...

Congrats on the table...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson View Post
Welcome Teach....to the class that is always open 24/7 where one is free to suggest subjects for class discussion or to merely browse through the multitude of pages for your reading enjoyment...
AC Tru-Balance Conversion w/ OB Shafts
Cuephoric Dufferin Conversion w/ Owens Shaft
The original CHALK NINJA

Old
  (#11)
Snoogi

vCash:

08-14-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I'm (finally) getting a table in a couple of weeks (provided my house is finished ), and I'm pretty concerned with keeping the table in good shape.

I'm covering it with Simonis 860, which isn't available locally so I have to order it from the States (and hire somebody from the factory to make the 450 mile trip from Bangkok to install it)- I'm concerned that jump shots might create "flat" spots that would hinder the balls from rolling true (I kinda doubt the 1" slate will crack or chip... right? ).

One reason I'm wondering about this is that I bought a Sardo Tight-Rack (before researching it) and potential cloth damage was an issue that was often brought up

I'm thinking about a "no jump shots" house rule, but I don't wanna take the aspect out of the game (I like to play 9-ball).

Am I worried over nothing? It's my first table (only an eight-footer but built to international competition specs and pretty darned expensive as the pickings were slim) and I wanna keep it in the best condition possible
You bet, the first two spots to see the slab are the break and apex spots. Just that we don't always jump on the exact spots, or else we'll see the slabs faster. House rule is good but most people will get turned off not being allowed to jump or masse. Depends on how you wanna weigh it.

Old
  (#12)
brechbt
AzB Silver Member
brechbt has a reputation beyond reputebrechbt has a reputation beyond reputebrechbt has a reputation beyond reputebrechbt has a reputation beyond reputebrechbt has a reputation beyond reputebrechbt has a reputation beyond reputebrechbt has a reputation beyond reputebrechbt has a reputation beyond reputebrechbt has a reputation beyond reputebrechbt has a reputation beyond reputebrechbt has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:

Two things I've learned about this on my table:

1) jumping does compress the cloth. In practicing jumping, I always use a small scrap of table cloth under the cue ball. That scrap is now noticeably compressed in the middle.

2) the quality of your cue ball makes a big difference in the spots or burn marks you get on the cloth. The cue ball I got with the balls that came with my table was cheap, and caused many burn marks. When I switched to a good quality Saluc cue ball the burn marks stopped happening almost entirely.

Old
  (#13)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2007, 08:25 AM

Number one, forget the Sardo Rack. You don't want it or need it, especially for a home table. Put it on eBay. Use a good wood or fiber triangle. They work just fine for your purposes.

I would only allow highly skilled players to shoot jump shots on your table. Ones who know how to properly execute them. Even worse than the damage the cue ball can do, is the potential damge that an errant cue stick can do to the cloth and even the slate. Slate can be chipped, sorry to have to tell you this.

Enough said. Now it's up to you. Oh, and you don't need the little piece of cloth on the table for break shots. You won't be breaking nearly as much as in a poolroom. A few superficial battle scars on the cloth after several months (or years), will actually look cool. And it won't affect the way the table plays.

Have fun!

Old
  (#14)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-14-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert
... Use a good wood or fiber triangle. They work just fine for your purposes. ...
What he said. But be aware that most of what is sold in billiard supply stores is junk. The plastic ones are so flimsy that the sides bulge out or curve in. The wood ones are barely glued, and the corners often don't have a small enough radius so it is impossible to get the front three balls tight. It is worth it to shop around and get a good one. Ask if you can try it in the store.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#15)
Snoogi

vCash:

08-14-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett
What he said. But be aware that most of what is sold in billiard supply stores is junk. The plastic ones are so flimsy that the sides bulge out or curve in. The wood ones are barely glued, and the corners often don't have a small enough radius so it is impossible to get the front three balls tight. It is worth it to shop around and get a good one. Ask if you can try it in the store.
There's the thicker one 1cm thick all round and the three rounded corners 2.5cm thick, very strong. But I'm not sure if they're available in the states.

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: