How should I feel toward an irate cuemaker?

Would you still get the cue done if you get in this type of situation?

• I am dead-set still getting cue from cuemaker

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I will look at other options and may still go ahead

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Cuemaker not getting my business again

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people like to handle their emotions differently, and if whoever taught you to grow a pair is the person who constantly yelled at you, maybe your way isn't best after all.

To the OP:
I read your posts as carefully as I could, and honestly I don't see the big deal. So, yeah, you are probably overreacting somewhere.

But also it seems that, if you are ordering many cues over the years and you have to balance the budget carefully to do so, taking the time to get things the way you are excited about, then your investment in doing so is personal and not merely business.

On the other side of things, anyone who gets into cue making thinking it is the best way they have to make loads of cash with the least personal risks and highest safety is a damn fool. If they are doing this, the craft means a lot more to them than selling a product.

So, regardless of what happened and who was being reasonable and not, the emotional experience matters to buyer and builder, and that has soured. Move on.

JC

Coos Cues
This is exactly why I decided early on not to build custom cues.

People getting a new cue are excited (unless it's a southwest) and excited people are annoying. They will tell you to take your time and then check in weekly.

If I build a cue and am shooting for 19.5 oz and it comes in at 18.75 I don't need the stress. Who wants a nice 18.75 oz cue?

Most cue builders get into it because they have some sense of art. Customer designed cues are almost always hideous compared to if they just would have let the builder make it for them. Props to you guys who do it for them. I would get depressed.

But I make cues for my own pleasure, not for income. I suppose that makes a difference.

JC

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
This is exactly why I decided early on not to build custom cues.

People getting a new cue are excited (unless it's a southwest) and excited people are annoying. They will tell you to take your time and then check in weekly.

If I build a cue and am shooting for 19.5 oz and it comes in at 18.75 I don't need the stress. Who wants a nice 18.75 oz cue?

Most cue builders get into it because they have some sense of art. Customer designed cues are almost always hideous compared to if they just would have let the builder make it for them. Props to you guys who do it for them. I would get depressed.

But I make cues for my own pleasure, not for income. I suppose that makes a difference.

JC
We do it because we get the best looking groupies.
We reject NBA and rockers groupies.

You're missing out.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good day to all cuemakers and readers on this thread.

Before I post my question, I would never drop anyone's name or slander anyone. My ONLY purpose is to get some industry experts' inputs and thoughts on my recent situation so I can adjust (if I need to) my expectations on future interactions.

I am a repeat customer of one big name (I was very surprised too) cuemaker and I am now ready to get my next fix for a cue (I have gear acquisition syndrome). So I sent a few emails getting the quote and the usual advise which I really appreciate. We have not finalised anything for a final quote, I just expressed my desire to get the cue done, but not after I know how much a wrap upgrade will cost.

I have not heard for a couple of days, and I am in the working class too, so I know professionals get really busy and me not wanting to push anything, I waited for a couple of days. But as my new bills are coming, I don't want to suddenly turn away and tell the cuemaker whom I respect like my College professor that I will not proceed with the build and come across as a time-waster. So I followed up if he has had a chance to read my last email and if we can proceed with the build.

The reply I got was a very cold ("Yes... Now what?"). I really got deflated reading it... Felt disappointed and sad, not even angry or mad. I told him my sentiment... I felt like I had to apologise that I ask too many questions or that I am wasting his time. In understood his point, that I am not the only one emailing, calling, texting to asks questions, change mind or change design spec.and if he is busy with something and cannot note all of these things, things go wrong.

But this is what I don't understand, and I told him. We are investing our money in their business, and as customers, we do not see the materials or know the current market prices, hence the only thing we can do before a build is ask questions. This also protects us both that the final product will reflect the design and amount. Not sure why he's irate replying to me and not even answering my original question...

I am not a business owner, but I know that if you are getting flustered and getting swamped with things, either you get help or take a step back on multi-tasking. I am not dumb to expect him to answer my email while he's on the phone with someone. I am happy to wait, to give us both the best possible outcome.

How it ended, he provided me the quote for the wrap upgrade. The reply I was looking for. But I am not sure if I still want to do the cue with him. I still give him the benefit of the doubt that maybe he was just having a bad day. I might bring my business somewhere else for now. I'd value customer service over name every time. It was lacking in this very unfortunate exchange...

To me what stands out here is that you say you were ready but apparently you thought the wrap upgrade was too expensive. Are you knowledgeable enough to determine what his material costs and any extra labor is worth to make the upgrade?

The way I see it you have three choices 1) Accept the price and order the cue. 2) Pass on the order and forget about it or find someone else who's cheaper. 3) Order the cue without the upgrade.