Billiards in Austria and Hungary

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
What are the great places to play ??

Dropping my son off for school at the U of Vienne next week. Before we do that, going to visit some long lost relatives in Budapest.

The wife's dad came over (fled) when the Russians crushed the uprising in 1956. He was in the army and saw thousands of Ruskies coming in tanks, trucks, and on foot. Him and his buddy fled for greener pastures and eventually ended up in the US.

My wife only met one cousin 30 years ago when he visited the US about 30 years ago. Now, we are going to meet them all. She never met her grandparents, or aunts or uncles on dad's side. They have all since died.

But, she has lots of cousins she's on Facebook with and all of their kids.

So, any good pool places in Budapest ?

And when we drop my son off in Vienna, he will need a pool room to get through the school year as well. Any suggestions near campus ?

They both look like terrific towns.

Leaving on August 22nd for Budapest. Be in Austria on the 29th.

I'm sure I'll have some samples of chalk with me. No dealers in Vienne or Budapest...... yet :)

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone should have first hand awareness of the world at-large, beyond our border walls:)eek::lol:) Good for the boy, getting up and going.

I met previously unknown relatives about a year ago on the other side of the Atlantic. One of the best experiences of my life, thus far.

Do I have any useful input? F--k no!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dropping my son off for school at the U of Vienne next week. Before we do that, going to visit some long lost relatives in Budapest.

The wife's dad came over (fled) when the Russians crushed the uprising in 1956. He was in the army and saw thousands of Ruskies coming in tanks, trucks, and on foot. Him and his buddy fled for greener pastures and eventually ended up in the US.

My wife only met one cousin 30 years ago when he visited the US about 30 years ago. Now, we are going to meet them all. She never met her grandparents, or aunts or uncles on dad's side. They have all since died.

But, she has lots of cousins she's on Facebook with and all of their kids.

So, any good pool places in Budapest ?

And when we drop my son off in Vienna, he will need a pool room to get through the school year as well. Any suggestions near campus ?

They both look like terrific towns.

Leaving on August 22nd for Budapest. Be in Austria on the 29th.

I'm sure I'll have some samples of chalk with me. No dealers in Vienne or Budapest...... yet :)
Need a translator but this place looks pretty nice. http://goldbiliard.hu/bar-itallap/ 42 assorted tables. Open 24hrs.

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Need a translator but this place looks pretty nice. http://goldbiliard.hu/bar-itallap/ 42 assorted tables. Open 24hrs.

Yeah, my son speaks German, which is why he is going to Austria. His classes are all in German. But, the Hungarian language is very difficult, and I'm not even going to try and attempt any words. They have 14 vowels. It's considered one of the more difficult languages for English speakers.

I know sometimes folks think you can learn anything. But, it's different. With German, Italian and other languages, at least it looks or sounds some what familiar. Even some of the words might be the same in each language.

This is the Hugarian word for computer; számítógép. WTF. How you gonna say that ?? Some of the letters pronunciation is very hard to mimic, and actually hard on the throat to do it.

But, this looks like a great place for pool. Try me some Hungarian beer !!! My son can at least drink in the bars in Europe :)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll admit that any pool is better than no pool...and I'd happily spend half my vacation there.

Looks like that joint has Medalists :puke:

We should have a competition to see if you can learn Hungarian faster than I can learn Finnish. I quit, as soon as you say go :shrug:
Yeah, my son speaks German, which is why he is going to Austria. His classes are all in German. But, the Hungarian language is very difficult, and I'm not even going to try and attempt any words. They have 14 vowels. It's considered one of the more difficult languages for English speakers.

I know sometimes folks think you can learn anything. But, it's different. With German, Italian and other languages, at least it looks or sounds some what familiar. Even some of the words might be the same in each language.

This is the Hugarian word for computer; számítógép. WTF. How you gonna say that ?? Some of the letters pronunciation is very hard to mimic, and actually hard on the throat to do it.

But, this looks like a great place for pool. Try me some Hungarian beer !!! My son can at least drink in the bars in Europe :)

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you/he will find plenty of pool joints, both are big enough cities to have a variety of halls and competing clubs. in the suburbs the table fees will be lower. suburb vs inner city is the other way around in europe in terms of income etc

We should have a competition to see if you can learn Hungarian faster than I can learn Finnish. I quit, as soon as you say go

finnish is impossible to learn. i don't think even the finns know what they're saying. but it is arguably the best language for cursing

Reactions: KRJ

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I'll admit that any pool is better than no pool...and I'd happily spend half my vacation there.

Looks like that joint has Medalists :puke:

We should have a competition to see if you can learn Hungarian faster than I can learn Finnish. I quit, as soon as you say go :shrug:

Weird, but I think Hungarian is based off Finnish. I heard they both suck to learn. So, no thanks, you win :)

Wait, you don't like Medalists? How come ?