Tips

danks9000

Registered
As a frequent pool player, I noticed that my tip was glazing over quicker than most. I use navigator blue impact soft and have been for quite a while, best predictable spin out there. Any tips out there that don't glaze over?

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All layered tips will glaze, but it's an easy fix. Traditional tips suffer less of this problem.

Julian

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
All layered tips will glaze, but it's an easy fix. Traditional tips suffer less of this problem.

Julian

That is not true. Most layered tip glazes, and Kamui is the most obvious ones.

But there are a couple of tips that I think doesn't glaze such as G2, Thoroughbreds.

And yes Traditional tips doesn't glaze much.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All tips glaze over at some point. A tip needs maintenance and it's meant to be a replacable part of the cue. Trim, scuff and reshape. And never ever touch the top of the tip with your fingers.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to have to dress single layer tips, far more than I have EVER had to dress a layered tip.

Lepros, triangles, and champions all needed tapped/picked before and sometimes several times during play.

Most layered tips I have ever used get scuffed once every few months, sometimes not even that often.

So Im not sure where all the layered tips always glaze, single layers are great, jazz is coming from. But it has not been my experience.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
I used to have to dress single layer tips, far more than I have EVER had to dress a layered tip.

Lepros, triangles, and champions all needed tapped/picked before and sometimes several times during play.

Very true. Miss those "tip-pick" days.. Can't use tip-pick with laminated tips :sorry:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here’s my take:

Layered tips glaze because of the glue layers.

Single layer tips dont’t glaze nearly as much because there isnt any glue on the surface. Triangle tips don’t seem to glaze as much as a Lepro most likely because it’s chromium tanned, which also makes it more challenging to burnish.

Freddie <~~~ frictionally speaking

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Most layered tips I have ever used get scuffed once every few months, sometimes not even that often.

So Im not sure where all the layered tips always glaze, single layers are great, jazz is coming from. But it has not been my experience.

I never dress or tap my Lepros or Triangle tips. Picking a leather tip IMO is the worst thing you can do to a tip. It’s a meat tenderizer, which just leads to it moving more readily.

I can’t say much about layered tips and their proclivity to glaze other than entirely too many people report it. It makes total theoretical sense to me that they would glaze easier, and that seems to be the going consensus. Apparently, YMMV.

Freddie <~~~ not to be a p*ick

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
As a frequent pool player, I noticed that my tip was glazing over quicker than most. I use navigator blue impact soft and have been for quite a while, best predictable spin out there. Any tips out there that don't glaze over?

I’ve been using the WB tips for a while now. Greatest tip ever in my opinion. And I got another one put on another shaft just to make sure the first one wasn’t a freakish miracle.

They may be sold as Extra Hard or whatever but damn if it’s not the sweetest hit imaginable, no glazing, I miscue less often than with Kamui med, and they’re cheap.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
And yet I've used a Tip Pik on my layered leather tips every day for more than 20 years without a single problem - not even any loss of leather (like you get with a scuffer).
The only thing I ever use on my Triangle tip is Master chalk, and I never have a problem. i think the slight abrasiveness of the chalk helps keep the tip surface in good condition. In the past, I used a scuffer and shaper, but they just wore the tips down faster.

Regards,
Dave

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Your experience seems to contradict most other people. I can attempt a semi-scientific explanation: layered tips are made of much finer particles and more compact than traditional ones. If you looked at their surface under a microscope it would be pretty level so it makes sense to me that they become smooth/glass like under repeated hits.

A traditional tip would be more hills and valleys, if you use shaping tool you feel more resistance and the bigger leather fibres hold their shape better and recover after being pounded.

Julian

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here’s my take:

Layered tips glaze because of the glue layers.

Single layer tips dont’t glaze nearly as much because there isnt any glue on the surface. Triangle tips don’t seem to glaze as much as a Lepro most likely because it’s chromium tanned, which also makes it more challenging to burnish.

Freddie <~~~ frictionally speaking
Freddie traditional tips must use glue too or some other binding agent.

Julian

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Freddie traditional tips must use glue too or some other binding agent.

Julian

Only to hold them to the cue though, whereas the layered tip has layers of glue for each layer of leather..tongue twister. The one piece are just punched and pressed hide

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only to hold them to the cue though, whereas the layered tip has layers of glue for each layer of leather..tongue twister. The one piece are just punched and pressed hide
Looking at a Triangle tip, it's hard to imagine which animal has a skin that thick and hard :) IMO traditional tips are made of ground leather mixed with a bonding agent and pressed rather than an actual hide.

Think of a MDF board but made of leather. Then the round tips are cut and the leftovers are ground again and put back into the process, it would make sense.

Julian

Last edited: