Gold Crown 5 still not right!

iinokeii

Registered
So, back story...I been shooting pool for the good part of 20 years. Finally bought a house with a basement big enough to fit a tournament 9ft table. Very excited about getting a Pool table worth $10k+...I’ve worked hard and thought I earned it. Long story short, I bought a GC5 for my bday this year, Feb 2019. Set up took 6 hours, which I bought from a Johnson Fitness, they also included the delivery and set up. Beautiful table. But when set up was done, I shot... played fine the first week. But started shooting off. Noticed balls weren’t rolling natural, had a curve to them when they were coming to a stop. Noticed pockets were not flushed, pockets made too much noise, even had the bold holding the slate come off and land on the ground. Pissed, I called and they came back out to fix the issue. I refused to have the same guys do it so they go t someone from corporate to come out and redo the job. 4hours later it looked and played better. But 2 months later, I noticed again the table played funny. Rolled was way off. Assuming the table sagged I looked under it to see the supports. To my belief, the 18 bolts around the frame were not even tightened. The 8 main bolts supporting the underside of the slate, not even touching the slate at all. No wonder there’s a sag.... what to do now? I reached out to the store manager, they know me by now... should I find another technician to level my table? Should I worry about the slate sag?

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When all else fails give John Burns from Classic Billiard Service a call, 410-935-3617 he's out of Maryland.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... To my belief, the 18 bolts around the frame were not even tightened. The 8 main bolts supporting the underside of the slate, not even touching the slate at all. No wonder there’s a sag.... what to do now? I reached out to the store manager, they know me by now... should I find another technician to level my table? Should I worry about the slate sag?
Have them give you your money back and get a better table. Rub their noses in it by having the owner/manager of the local store or regional sales director come out to look at it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John is an excellent choice.

I am also in n. VA and he does serve our area.

Sorry to read about the service this far, but once right, that table will be beyond great and there will come a time when all the problems you shared were just a wrinkle you ironed out.

Congrats on the table, and even bigger, the house.
:)

iinokeii

Registered
When all else fails give John Burns from Classic Billiard Service a call, 410-935-3617 he's out of Maryland.

Thanks Jimmy. Corporate is looking into the issues I sent them. I wish I knew how to post pix on here, kept trying to upload and fail....

iinokeii

Registered
Have them give you your money back and get a better table. Rub their noses in it by having the owner/manager of the local store or regional sales director come out to look at it.

I got a GC5 because GC are the tables I’ve always shot on. Should’ve gone with the Diamond ProAM and saved me $4k lol...

If it’s not corrected this time, I might ask for a refund or replacement. Thanks.

iinokeii

Registered
John is an excellent choice.

I am also in n. VA and he does serve our area.

Sorry to read about the service this far, but once right, that table will be beyond great and there will come a time when all the problems you shared were just a wrinkle you ironed out.

Congrats on the table, and even bigger, the house.
:)

I truly hope this time around will have all the issues worked out. I really enjoy the table when it was shooting right. Only lasted a week tho....

Thanks,

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I truly hope this time around will have all the issues worked out. I really enjoy the table when it was shooting right. Only lasted a week tho....

Thanks,

I would get away from company mechanics....
...those who created the problem are not going to solve it...
...it’s like taking your car to Walmart

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pay a 1st class mechanic to make it right. So you paid a little more but you'll enjoy it. Been there done that. The 5 is suppose to be a fabulous table. The Diamond is everything...built right, durable, plays great, but esthetically lacking for a home table. Sorry to hear but not surprised.

Brunswick sent the local authorized Brunswick techs to my house for warranty work and they were pretty bad. Do your research here and select one of Azb's guys. You'll get good referrals. I did.
Don't forget to negative review the vendor you bought it from when the table gets straightened out.

Welcome to AZB.

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Johnson Fitness"

Therein lies your problem.

You can buy a table anywhere as long as you are happy with the price, but when it comes to setting one up, selling tables does not usually equate to proper installation of tables.

Ask around your area (pool halls etc) who is the best in the area, and hire them to set it up correctly.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The 5 is suppose to be a fabulous table. The Diamond is everything...built right, durable, plays great, but esthetically lacking for a home table.

Welcome to AZB.

There is no but. Diamond looks better too.

Different strokes, i guess.....the Anniversary looked good as a commercial or home table..
...all the Gold Crown models, to me, look extremely commercial.

The old Brunswicks look good in a home....

1C2D9135-DF24-4EEC-8E45-B703C225821F.jpeg

Which looks more like piece of furniture....a Diamond...

2BE62919-06F2-42FA-ADB7-74DC75D77DE4.jpeg

..or a Gold Crown?

F17DBC22-74CB-41AC-B5CB-AC4EE615FAE5.jpeg

To me , there is no contest.....Diamonds are forever

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
WHAT ??????? How dare you:bash::bash:

GCs were one of my favorite tables growing up...I also loved Anniversaries.
...the Anniversary looks far better in a home.

64552003-C4FD-430D-BBD1-C048B8707B60.jpeg

E770F6D6-FB33-4817-A7C7-397B5DC7A9BD.jpeg

Next time you go shopping for furniture, just PM me....only to glad to help....:)

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
GCs were one of my favorite tables growing up...I also loved Anniversaries.
...the Anniversary looks far better in a home.

View attachment 526473

View attachment 526474

Next time you go shopping for furniture, just PM me....only to glad to help....:)

Love that Anni. I’d say we’re on same track. So we’re even. I’ll be looking for a table next year. Diamond is not out of the question. Saw a Centennial I really liked. The Anniversary is a maybe. Also considering a JC Higgins or K Mart with a flannel cloth.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The GC5 is a great table (maybe the best GC) when set up correctly. Sounds like the bolts were never tightened properly during the original set up and worked their way loose over time. Not a hard problem to fix. I'm waiting for RKC to offer his input.

iinokeii

Registered
Pay a 1st class mechanic to make it right. So you paid a little more but you'll enjoy it. Been there done that. The 5 is suppose to be a fabulous table. The Diamond is everything...built right, durable, plays great, but esthetically lacking for a home table. Sorry to hear but not surprised.

Welcome to AZB.

So, since I suspect the slate beginning to sag now. Could that be easily fixed? Since it was never supported from the beginning?

iinokeii

Registered
"Johnson Fitness"

You can buy a table anywhere as long as you are happy with the price, but when it comes to setting one up, selling tables does not usually equate to proper installation of tables.

Ask around your area (pool halls etc) who is the best in the area, and hire them to set it up correctly.

Lol, I was skeptical but when I saw the GC5, definitely wanted it. Wish I can say I got a discount but pretty much paid full price, plus the $350 on top for the Simonis cloth. I got the Tournament Edition too, with the longer rails and tighter pockets. Guess what the installer said... “oh we don’t put decals on table, why would you want to put stickers on your table?” BECAUSE ITS A TOURNAMENT EDITION!!!! Smh...I ended up installing the decals on the sides with my fiancé. Came out perfect.

How do I post pix on here? Would like to show the table...what’s a thread with no pix...

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's already been informed of the best guy in the mid Atlantic, John Burns. Only guy who is likely better would be mark Gregory, given he participated in the table's design.

Rkc is also 100% capable, but being on the other side of the country is a tad inconvenient.

I'd ask Brunswick if it would be open to 50/50 split on John's bill. Like i said: once it is right, it will offer a lifetime of happiness (and torture;)).

"Johnson Fitness"