want to staple cloth down instead of glue

nympfisher

SEMI AMATURE
Silver Member
my table slate sits directly on the frame and the cloth is glued on. now this is not normally a problem for most but i would like to be able to staple it on. it makes it much easier to stretch the cloth . can i cut some 1/2 plywood for under the slate as a bed and then level the slate?
has anyone tried this ?

thanks , carl

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
What kind of table is it?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
It does not seem like it would be unreasonable to add slate backers to the slates. Use poplar, plywood would not hold staples well because it is layered. You would obviously have to drill slatebolt holes and such. It seems like for how much time you would spend that you could learn how to use the "glue down" method. It is all about using the right adhesive, either fastbond n-10 or parabond m-250. do you have the simonis installation dvds? they do not show the glue down method, but, they show the proper stretch pattern. good luck!

Trent from Toledo

p.s. you may also have to replace your slate bolts too.

nympfisher

SEMI AMATURE
Silver Member
8 foot leisure bay . 1'inch slate . pockets are too tight for me also. i reused the cloth when i bought it and used contact cement with a small roller .
im fixing to replace the rails and replace cloth . just didnt like the glue down method.

Attachments

• table.jpg
    table.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 553
8 foot leisure bay . 1'inch slate . pockets are too tight for me also. i reused the cloth when i bought it and used contact cement with a small roller .

im fixing to replace the rails and replace cloth . just didnt like the glue down method.

I am with you on the glue down method. I tried it twice. It’s more even it’s easier to pull up when re-clothing I get all that. The negative to me is it’s messy, pulling it up to re-stretch sucks, getting the glue in the appropriate place can be difficult if you don’t do it all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I am with you on the glue down method. I tried it twice. It’s more even it’s easier to pull up when re-clothing I get all that. The negative to me is it’s messy, pulling it up to re-stretch sucks, getting the glue in the appropriate place can be difficult if you don’t do it all the time.

If the cloth is stretch indexed right the first time, there's never a need to restretch the cloth.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'll be releasing a free video shortly explicitly demonstrating how to use my glue down and stretch index method of installing the bed cloth, step by step, as i now have my own adhesive for working on pool tables, and it's blue in color, distribution will be through Diamond billiards in either quarts or gallon cans.

I'll be releasing a free video shortly explicitly demonstrating how to use my glue down and stretch index method of installing the bed cloth, step by step, as i now have my own adhesive for working on pool tables, and it's blue in color, distribution will be through Diamond billiards in either quarts or gallon cans.

I understand that Glenn. I did index it. However when you stretch from side to the corners the adhesive grabs in all the wrong places. Also closing the pockets becomes difficult once it has been strong for a while. Maybe your new adhesive works better. I wouldn’t know. I am not a table mechanic but if someone is going to make a mistake on my table, it’s going to be me. It would be interesting seeing the new video. All I had to go on was your pictures and the diamond video on you tube. I suppose if you do many many tables you can get it to a science but as a one off I can safely say it’s not that easy. I holds fantastic. That’s for sure. Again assuming you nail the index the first time.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I understand that Glenn. I did index it. However when you stretch from side to the corners the adhesive grabs in all the wrong places. Also closing the pockets becomes difficult once it has been strong for a while. Maybe your new adhesive works better. I wouldn’t know. I am not a table mechanic but if someone is going to make a mistake on my table, it’s going to be me. It would be interesting seeing the new video. All I had to go on was your pictures and the diamond video on you tube. I suppose if you do many many tables you can get it to a science but as a one off I can safely say it’s not that easy. I holds fantastic. That’s for sure. Again assuming you nail the index the first time.

Trust me, when you watch the video and you have my glue, it'll be explained step by step in a way that leaves no chance of making a mistake....I've been waiting years to do this!!!

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I’m pretty sure the glue down method is in the simonis vids....at least the set I have does.....?!?!

Pretty sure you are mistaken. I also have them and no glue down method. I am excited for the new video Glen is going to put out.

Trent from Toledo

Diamond also uses this method and will train ya with it too
22090003_10214457014122097_1605565038825828325_n.jpg

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Pretty sure you are mistaken. I also have them and no glue down method. I am excited for the new video Glen is going to put out.

Trent from Toledo

Diamond also uses this method and will train ya with it too
22090003_10214457014122097_1605565038825828325_n.jpg

7a2c0784851aeaa6ac8f1c5c7bd7d67f.jpg
ea2614dda84ae2bb19f75528d82aa156.jpg

Yeah my bad tripping indeed...that’s a fancy stapler that mechanics holdin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
No one said you were "tripping"...

I stand corrected. I just popped my DVD in an there it was, just after the staple down install! I never knew :) Even though it is there, I would never use spray glue to do it. Fast bond n-10 or Parabond M-250. Only on the side of the slate and bottom for the corners & side pockets. Spraying the top of the slate??? Jay also does the install differently. I am going to assume this is because of the use of the spray glue. He did not measure the index or make marks of any sort showing a consistent and even stretch. I am actually surprised this is the method on the DVD.

I can get the cloth just as tight using Fastbond n-10 or Parabond as staples. I am fairly confident that spray glue would not hold the stretch when fully indexing the cloth.

Glen will most likley chime in :)

Trent from Toledo

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
No one said you were "tripping"...

I stand corrected. I just popped my DVD in an there it was, just after the staple down install! I never knew :) Even though it is there, I would never use spray glue to do it. Fast bond n-10 or Parabond M-250. Only on the side of the slate and bottom for the corners & side pockets. Spraying the top of the slate??? Jay also does the install differently. I am going to assume this is because of the use of the spray glue. He did not measure the index or make marks of any sort showing a consistent and even stretch. I am actually surprised this is the method on the DVD.

Diamond uses Glens method and so do I. I can get the cloth just as tight using Fastbond n-10 or Parabond as staples. I am fairly confident that spray glue would not hold the stretch when fully indexing the cloth.

Glen will most likley chime in :)

Trent from Toledo

Right right agreed, the few times I’ve glued I basically hodgepodged both methods used a few extra clamp spots and it worked out no problem. Process is always better than figuring it out as you go or waiting on the unexpected. I did use spray type and one thing I used off the dump that kept things much better and cleaner was a featherboard and I’d hit the top the width of the sub rail and cushions overlap the slate. Of course if one has the time and material etc.....always do as Glenn do. I think he’s got more championships than rick flair

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Right right agreed, the few times I’ve glued I basically hodgepodged both methods used a few extra clamp spots and it worked out no problem. Process is always better than figuring it out as you go or waiting on the unexpected. I did use spray type and one thing I used off the dump that kept things much better and cleaner was a featherboard and I’d hit the top the width of the sub rail and cushions overlap the slate. Of course if one has the time and material etc.....always do as Glenn do. I think he’s got more championships than rick flair

Glen is the best mentor I have never actually met. He has always been there to help me out. :)

:thumbup:

Trent from Toledo

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Glen is the best mentor I have never actually met. He has always been there to help me out. :)

:thumbup:

Trent from Toledo

Ain’t No lies there! Glenn’s a pool table Jesus or google or both? I’m pretty sure he’s got a cult following lmao