One very sick pool player

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven't been able to play all week thanks to this virus I came down with. I've been taking Amoxicillin since Monday and sucking on one throat lozenge after another. My body feels okay now for the most part but my throat is really, really sore and when I cough it's very painful. It's that deep cough that erupts from inside your chest, not just a tickle in your throat. Even swallowing causes pain in my throat. My doctor said that since I have a virus I just have to wait it out. The Amoxicillin helps but nothing is helping with the sore throat.

Yesterday he prescribed a cough medication with codeine in it and that numbs my throat so I'm not nearly as uncomfortable. It also makes me sleepy which right now is not a bad thing. But when I wake up the pain in my throat has not subsided. It's like having Whooping Cough (and maybe I do). Since Monday I was coughing all day and night, until I got the codeine.

I'm hoping someone on here has had experience with something like this and can offer me some assistance. I tried to play pool yesterday but felt exhausted after less than half an hour. It's particularly frustrating because my pool game had been rounding into form, hitting the balls good and gaining confidence. I know I'm playing better than I was last month when I played in Vegas. I don't want to lose all that I've gained over the last two months.

I'm open to any ideas! I keep hoping I will wake up and my throat won't be hurting as bad, but so far there's been no real progress. I don't want to rely on codeine just to make it through the day. I feel a little drunk all the time and it's hard to play pool when you're feeling that way.

Thanks, Jay

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
maybe get a new doctor. antibiotics do not work for a virus and can do more harm than good as you dont have a bacterial infection and might need something else.

but most times that stuff goes away with time.

being old we always have to worry about pneumonia setting in on anytime we are sick as that can be a killer.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't been able to play all week thanks to this virus I came down with. I've been taking Amoxicillin since Monday and sucking on one throat lozenge after another. My body feels okay now for the most part but my throat is really, really sore and when I cough it's very painful. It's that deep cough that erupts from inside your chest, not just a tickle in your throat. Even swallowing causes pain in my throat. My doctor said that since I have a virus I just have to wait it out. The Amoxicillin helps but nothing is helping with the sore throat.

Yesterday he prescribed a cough medication with codeine in it and that numbs my throat so I'm not nearly as uncomfortable. It also makes me sleepy which right now is not a bad thing. But when I wake up the pain in my throat has not subsided. It's like having Whooping Cough (and maybe I do). Since Monday I was coughing all day and night, until I got the codeine.

I'm hoping someone on here has had experience with something like this and can offer me some assistance. I tried to play pool yesterday but felt exhausted after less than half an hour. It's particularly frustrating because my pool game had been rounding into form, hitting the balls good and gaining confidence. I know I'm playing better than I was last month when I played in Vegas. I don't want to lose all that I've gained over the last two months.

I'm open to any ideas! I keep hoping I will wake up and my throat won't be hurting as bad, but so far there's been no real progress. I don't want to rely on codeine just to make it through the day. I feel a little drunk all the time and it's hard to play pool when you're feeling that way.

Thanks, Jay
'bout all you can do is wait it out. LOTS of fluids and plenty of rest. I had something similar coupla months back and i was down for a week.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
maybe get a new doctor. antibiotics do not work for a virus and can do more harm than good as you dont have a bacterial infection and might need something else.

but most times that stuff goes away with time.

being old we always have to worry about pneumonia setting in on anytime we are sick as that can be a killer.

I got my pneumonia shot last year, so I'm ok there.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
'bout all you can do is wait it out. LOTS of fluids and plenty of rest. I had something similar coupla months back and i was down for a week.

Thanks garczar. That's basically what I do all day, drink water, lay down and watch TV. I've been watching all the NBA games. The three point shooting is off the wall. I like watching now as the players are at their best and trying hard to win. I've bet New Orleans and Indiana all their games so far (won them all). Won and lost with Minnesota, but I'm done with them. Anthony Davis is a monster! James Harden is a lot more impressive to me than Lebron. The European players have sure made their presence felt in the NBA.

I'm sleeping off and on all day as well. Got my cue resting on the table waiting for me. :smile:

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks garczar. That's basically what I do all day, drink water, lay down and watch TV I've been watching all the NBA games. I'm sleeping off and on all day as well. Got my cue resting on the table waiting for me. :smile:
You watching the WPS stream?

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sounds pretty close to what I had. I ended up in the hospital diagnosed with pneumonia. I let it go for about five days and that was surely a mistake. At least you're doing antibiotics, I didn't do anything and I ended up on an IV for five days. On the plus side, I lost about fifteen pounds:rolleyes: If you're not improving, call you doctor or go to the emergency room; they'll do the tests and either send you on home with stronger drugs or admit you depending on how bad it is.

Thanks, Jay

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Sounds like the sort of cough where you cough so much that it feel like you begin to rip your tissues from your bones
and what causes the pain is that you begin to accumulate fluid where a space was created, I hate that, mostly because
it really hurts. It hurts to cough, it hurts to breathe, it made my hair hurt.

I couldn't do anything to make it go away but I could do a couple of things to make myself feel better - at least a couple
of times a day I'd shower as hot as I could stand it and inhale the steam. That seemed to help quite a bit, then in a big mug -
a couple of shots of B&B (or something similar), juice of one lemon and some boiling water, honey to taste or if you have an
Asian grocery or pharmacy that is near there is a loquat syrup that is dynamite for this (I think it's pronounced Bee-baa-qua).

This will likely cure nothing, but feel great and helps you sleep.

Hope you feel better, it really sucks to be sick

Last edited:

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks, Jay

I use to get the virus all the time and got rid of it but the cough kept up and I was giving a new doctor and a young one at that and she said for me to get an (acid controller) over the counter and I said what does that have to do with my coughing and sure enough it stopped till this day I'm happy I've met someone that had a cure for that lasting cough Can't go wrong for $5 try it you'd be surprised where that cough is coming from I was

acid reflux - acid reducer ETC

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks, Jay

Your doctor told the truth - it takes time. It could be worse. My wife has no hair right now due to chemotherapy for breast cancer. She has to quit chemo because of pre-existing stomach problems which flared up and go to radiation which will burn her skin.

Count your blessings Jay.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Jay, I got a bug going around last year, but different than all the rest of the ones I've had my entire life. It was strange, because when you get sick, then rest and do all the things necessary to get well you do and eventually start feeling better, BUT with this one....I only got 80% better. This yo yo effect took place over 4 weeks. It's a NEW bug that's gettin' stronger, or I'm gettin' weaker as I age. Pickle Ball....I'm strippin' my GC I aprons w 1 1/16'' GC II slates.

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kinda late for this now, but at the very first onset of that sour feeling in your throat, start taking Zinc, ideally Zinc Gluconate. (most zinc supplements are gluconate, but read the lable to be sure) It really helps me. I take two (50mg) the first day and then one a day afterwards. Also do the megadoses of Vitamin C, one 500mg chewable four times a day, and drink water till you are peeing almost hourly. It doesn't stop you from being sick, but it shortens the duration dramatically.

As for your cough, anything with dextromethorphan in it will help. For lack of a better way to say it, it helps block the body's impulse to cough, although not completely. I actually did some process development on that compound back when I worked for Roche a long time ago. It works.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
a week!
... hate to be the bearer of bad news jay, it could easily be a month or better before
your back in your groove. I had a round of the pneumonia/something else through the
holidays and beyond, took awhile to recover, where as a couple of other locals didn't make it.
The medicine they gave me was pricy for just 10 pills, pharmacy warning
description said this is a last resort.
nothing to mess with, a day or 2 could make a difference,
and your cue would prefer a sharp shooter, so...

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member

Thanks, Jay

Won't be too terribly long and you'll b back in fighting form. In the interim, all you can do it wait it out, drink the fluids and sleep as much as you can. All your good energy is being used to fight the infection and the virus. Playing is probably exacerbating the condition. As your doctor, I recommend you refrain from doing anything but sitting on your posterior and watching tv.

Dr. Feelgood

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Sorry to hear that, Jay, sounds bad. I suggest a room humidifier, take an expectorant and drink lots of water. The idea is to loosen it up and cough that mucus out of there.

Do you have a fever?

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry you’re ill Jay. Make sure you get lots of rest and try not to do too much. Drink water and eat well. When you’re back to feeling good again c’mon over to battle again at one pocket!

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cough medicine,throatlozengers cloraseptic,nasal spray,and benadryl. Watch aspirin content in anything over the counter so you dont get dbl dosed.