how are ya'll doing in league ?

ChrisWoj

Just some one eyed guy.
Silver Member
It is pretty much the same I guess.
Yes, we play 2 tables, 8 ball,9ball. We (supposedly) start at 7PM. 9ft tables.

Now, you throw in the fact that at 7PM there are maybe 3 players from each team,those 3 all want to play first so they can go home, the cap'ts wanna play their picks but one of them isn't here yet, .......... and you get quite a mess!
I am justa shooter; it doesn't matter to me.
Our "7" (8-ball) is an older gent who wants to play on one particular table, wants to play first, and then leaves by 8 to 8:30 no exceptions. He;s a nice guy, but from a team standpoint it is a bit selfish. Its just a mess which is why I play sets on the side.

Yeah, I'm taking a break for a session or so, league play seems to be "all or nothing" for me anymore.
These situations suck. It also sucks from the other perspective as well - I'm one of those "I've gotta be out of here earlier" guys. I'm typically up at 4am finalizing my lesson plans, and working with kids I can't be short on sleep - I just find it irresponsible, you know? I'm more loose with it than your guy - I give my captain the option of playing me either match 1 or 2, but I simply can't go any later. This week I needed and took a long nap just to get the energy to play so I showed up at 7:30, played and won, and blasted off by 8:15.

To get to my point - I feel like a tool over it because so much of being on the team is just that: being on the team. Our captain, and the guys on our team, and the girls we hang out with and our buddies that come around (it turns into a social hour, but at the same time - we don't talk "to" the guy playing, and we don't do anything to distract the other team.... well except the girls, but they can't help it when they dress like that) - we all sit there, drink, root each other on, and it really feels like I'm being a bit of a downer by taking off. I really dislike being that guy that is in-the-door-out-the-door each week, I want to be a part of the team experience.

I know not all the early-out folks feel the same way, but I distinctly feel like I'm missing out by being that guy. It definitely isn't by choice. :p Though I couldn't imagine being lame enough to try taking on the responsibility of being a CAPTAIN with this sort of situation.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
well last night 9B was interesting -

KK9 (appointed co-captain), planned on taking the night off, cause he'd played double (5th fill-in) for 8B & 9B for 4 wks straight & had the roster filled. or so he thought.... #5 called-in sick (true statement). so the CAPTAIN (who showed for the 3rd time in 8 meets) could double-play? not.

KK9 lost hill-hill. to someone he shouldn't have; albeit a cool guy. IT MADE HIS YEAR & we all toasted! (KK9's decided to take up tiddly-winks now.)

meanwhile, this guy who beat KK9, plays on my female friend's team (they were ranked #2 team last time). she's been having to do ALL of the work for the Captain for 2 sessions (while carrying the team), and it was getting old. well....she, and another player on her team - QUIT.

we all toasted again!

then, a newbie on our team pulled a BS move. KK9 needed him to pay-up his $10 to close the envelope. luckily she & i were there (she's 6ft tall), as witnesses to the $50 for the team. short story is, and this is all over $3 change - the player tried to snatch $7 (in his hidden fist of crumpled bills), PLUS another $5 bill from my girlfriend, PLUS KK9's credit card. there was more deflection & deception, than i'd ever seen in Vegas & pickpockets. but i caught it. he came close to seeing God. yada-yada.

so today, we will decide if KK9's going to switch to tiddly-winks, or if she will replace the newbie.

JBB2388

Banger Extraordinaire
Silver Member
Have a guy on our team that complains constantly about having to play a later match. He argues that he has to get up for work at 5am. He has a 3 mile commute to work. I have a 30 mile commute. I get up at 4:45am for work and have not once left before the last match is over. Which on at least a few occasions was after 1am. One night I didn't get home until 2 but most nights is between 11 and 12. Most places we play have only one table so there is no doubling up. Being a team member is too important to worry about silly sleep. Go to bed early the next night or something if it runs late. Man up. You'll get plenty of sleep once you're dead. Just my opinion.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am the trash man

9ball, spotting the 8:

Make 1-7, hang the 8. Lose. Bummer.

I am the trash man...clean the table..lose, shake head, shake hands.

Close, no cigar.

Toughest part....opponent say 'thanks'....and he's right.

...at least I got to hit some balls;)

ChrisWoj

Just some one eyed guy.
Silver Member
Have a guy on our team that complains constantly about having to play a later match. He argues that he has to get up for work at 5am. He has a 3 mile commute to work. I have a 30 mile commute. I get up at 4:45am for work and have not once left before the last match is over. Which on at least a few occasions was after 1am. One night I didn't get home until 2 but most nights is between 11 and 12. Most places we play have only one table so there is no doubling up. Being a team member is too important to worry about silly sleep. Go to bed early the next night or something if it runs late. Man up. You'll get plenty of sleep once you're dead. Just my opinion.
It really depends on your job. If I'm getting less than 7 hours of sleep I feel horribly irresponsible because I'm working with kids. I don't believe in "I'm tired, I'll put on a movie." Every single day with my students is a chance to reinforce and build on what they're learning. So to me - going to bed at 11 or 12 and getting up at 4 is borderline immoral. Being distracted and exhausted when my entire focus needs to be on maintaining level of concern, behavior, and making sure I'm correct on every point I relay to them is far more important than playing late pool matches.

If you work a job that requires a high level of focus or you're causing ill effects on other people, you need to find a team that will allow you to play early matches or not play at all. End of story, in my opinion.

Last edited:

heresy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lorider said:
played in my money league last night...lost 4-0. played napa league tonight and won 4-0. funny how i play so shitty one night and pretty decent the next.

I do that too. I'm an SL6 in APA 8-Ball. Beat a 7 4-2 last week, got smoked by a 5 the week before.

Sometimes it happens mid match. I'll go from strong to pathetic, or vice versa, with the flip of a switch.

This session I think I've won about 50% of my matches. Last session I went undefeated(I was still a 5 then).

Banks

Banned
our tri cups are this weekend also. they got 48 teams playing both 8 and 9 ball at 1 venue. the room owner called my g/f and asked her to work ...she helps out down there when they hold big tournaments such as this.

Ours start tonight.. both of the teams I'm on have a first round bye, so I don't have to play until 9am tomorrow. Oh, but the kicker is.. they're at different locations, so I'll be doing a little running around.

meanwhile, this guy who beat KK9, plays on my female friend's team (they were ranked #2 team last time). she's been having to do ALL of the work for the Captain for 2 sessions (while carrying the team), and it was getting old. well....she, and another player on her team - QUIT.

we all toasted again!

then, a newbie on our team pulled a BS move. KK9 needed him to pay-up his $10 to close the envelope. luckily she & i were there (she's 6ft tall), as witnesses to the $50 for the team. short story is, and this is all over $3 change - the player tried to snatch $7 (in his hidden fist of crumpled bills), PLUS another $5 bill from my girlfriend, PLUS KK9's credit card. there was more deflection & deception, than i'd ever seen in Vegas & pickpockets. but i caught it. he came close to seeing God. yada-yada.

so today, we will decide if KK9's going to switch to tiddly-winks, or if she will replace the newbie.

Why not just form a team with the scraps of yours and your friend's? Sounds like the best option to me. Between a thief and no-shows, you could cut it down to those that want to show up and have fun.

Sounds like one of my first teams. I've had the same job since I started playing, always up around 7 or 8(or 9:30 this morning). Half of my teammates didn't have their dues on time and I didn't have the spare $$ to cover comfortably. The other half just wanted to show up, play and leave whenever they wanted. Well, one or two finally get jobs and then they start telling me they have to play first, leave early, etc. They're still my friends, but definitely not my teammates.

JBB2388

Banger Extraordinaire
Silver Member
...or not play at all.

Let me premise this by saying that I completely and unequivocally agree that teaching kids is so far more important than playing pool that its not even worth discussing. However, I also believe that being on a team means being there 100% for your teammates. Not 90%...not 80%. Maybe I just take my responsibility to the team maybe a little more seriously than I should. Dunno. I try to instill similar values to my son with regard to his little league team. On a couple of occasions he's tried to weasel his way out of going to practice complaining that he's tired or doesn't feel like it. I simply tell him he made a commitment to the team....which he did before the season began...and that he is going and will give 100% when he gets there because he owes it to his teammates. Anyway, you seem like a nice guy Chris. I wish you the best.

They're still my friends, but definitely not my teammates.

Well put Banks.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Long read on league from an A player

Bad night last nite... (understatement) Our supposed Capt showed,
1st time since week 1; week 4 is over now, I've recruited 6 new players for our 8 and 9B weekly, as 4 quit since our last 9 week session. My 1st yr playing league. 5 matches/nite.

Sorry, I'm tired and p1ssed. Anyway, 7 pm start time.

Capt called me prior, stated he had to play 1st cause he had to get his 6 yr old daughter. No prob. Me as defacto captain had 6 players lined up for 5 matches last nite, to cover our butt for the inevitable no show excuse. All confirmed by my efforts the day before. I wasn't feeling well, and was going to sit out. Then one called in sick 4 hours prior. I said no prob, we have 5. I'll play.

Pinky was slow getting ready (women!), I called & asked our "Capt" to put me in late. No prob. I show up, he's just finished his match and asks me "where's Chad?". We call him - at @ 7:45. He said he couldn't make it, again. For the 6th match in a row it was up to me to pull players out of my ass. 2 other players had prior called in sick. Fk.

My match, I had to win 6 of 8 racks in 9B or lose against a good player. Played on the table closest to the bar. Jumped to a 4 -0 lead. THEN... Have NEVER been so distracted and interrupted. "Watch this hit over here". Opponent team-mates and their friends & GF's packed in. Lining up against the table, below the brass rail, surrounding all tables. "We need to change the line-up", etc.

With none of my team-mates present, the drunk circled the table.

Scorekeeper 1 was yakking on every shot. No place to sit. I must have said "excuse me" 40 times to access my J/B or player cue, talc, 1 beer or say - "hey? You're standing in my backstroke". Ended up losing hill hill on 3 fluke rolls and me getting out of line twice. That's a learning experience. One I may or may not choose to overcome.

Now... Get this... After my match, I walked outside to the patio to chill off the negativity w/ my outspoken Pinky, w/ many others present out there. The 1 guy I relectantly had fill in on our team came out. F'g a-hole. I was trying to get the team's $50 and score sheet in the envelope when I realized I only had $7 in my pocket, when I KNEW I'd came with $67. 3 twenties were missing, and a-hole possibly got 'em...

So outside, Pinky and others at my side, I was $3 short and asked to borrow $3 from a fabulous lady friend, Doreen, who's a 7 and 6'2". I pulled my $7 out when "team-mate" a-hole slyly snatched it from me, I didn't notice. But Wendy and Doreen did. He held it crunched in his closed fist. Then he tried to snag my debit card, but he dropped it in the snatch process. Busted.

Then it got ugly. He began bad mouthing all 3 of us, and it took all my restraint not to drop him. Pinky was so po'd, she wanted to take this a-hole out too, but I got in the middle. Doreen was wtf'ing him. Trust me, this is the filtered version of what went down.

Worst league night I've experienced. I now know better why I choose to gamble 1 vs 1 with people I trust and enjoy.

As Mike Dechaine said - I love pool - On mutual terms, in the spirit of sportsmanship.

F this.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Man I can't believe the stuff I read in this thread. Sometimes I think I'm the only person on this entire board that likes their teammates and 99 percent of the time has a fun good time on league nights.

Last edited:

s0fam0us

Registered
Not new to AZB, but I rarely post, except when I'm looking to buy things... so hi everyone!

One of my APA 8 ball teams starts qualifiers tonight. We finished the session in first by 23 points (over second place, not last!) and it's a pretty cohesive team so I think we've got a good shot. Our handicap levels are a little scary... we're about 3 player changes away from not being able to play the 23 rule, but we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

I saw another post or two about playoffs this weekend, so good luck to everyone playing! :)

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Not new to AZB, but I rarely post, except when I'm looking to buy things... so hi everyone!

One of my APA 8 ball teams starts qualifiers tonight. We finished the session in first by 23 points (over second place, not last!) and it's a pretty cohesive team so I think we've got a good shot. Our handicap levels are a little scary... we're about 3 player changes away from not being able to play the 23 rule, but we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

I saw another post or two about playoffs this weekend, so good luck to everyone playing! :)

Welcome to the board! I know exactly what you're talking about as my team is in a similar position. We had a really good session and ran away with our division in 8 and 9 ball, but a couple of our players have been recently raised (one from a 4 to 5 in 8 ball the other from a 4 to a 5 in 9 ball) and truthfully they have made hay on beating some lower skill players and I wouldn't characterize either as a true 5. One of them can't even draw the cue ball at all. If I ever get my head out of my butt and start playing better and get raised to a 7 we're going to have a hard time making handicap. It's really unfortunate because I like playing and hanging out with my team a lot more than I like the APA generally. I really dislike the 23 rule more than anything else about APA.

s0fam0us

Registered
Welcome to the board! I know exactly what you're talking about as my team is in a similar position. We had a really good session and ran away with our division in 8 and 9 ball, but a couple of our players have been recently raised (one from a 4 to 5 in 8 ball the other from a 4 to a 5 in 9 ball) and truthfully they have made hay on beating some lower skill players and I wouldn't characterize either as a true 5. One of them can't even draw the cue ball at all. If I ever get my head out of my butt and start playing better and get raised to a 7 we're going to have a hard time making handicap. It's really unfortunate because I like playing and hanging out with my team a lot more than I like the APA generally. I really dislike the 23 rule more than anything else about APA.

I completely agree! And thanks for the welcome! :)

My team is comprised of some well seasoned players that have been in APA for years. Naturally, those people have gotten better over the years and their handicap has been adjusted accordingly. I understand APA wanting to attract new members and almost forcing splits at times... but I really really like these people! lol :(

I think our handicaps are fair, for better or worse. We're 4-4-5-5-5-5-6, with the 6 just recently having been moved up. This means he won't be able to play this weekend... he doesn't know it yet. :( Two of our other 5s could easily play as 6's and one fluctuates between a 4-5 but could honestly play either way.

I've got one 4 leaving next session so that'll make room for a couple of extra players. Hopefully I can convince someone who can't hold a cue to join our team. Nothing like a dedicated SL2! ;)

Last edited:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man I can't believe the stuff I read in this thread. Sometimes I think I'm the only person on this entire board that likes they're teammates and 99 percent of the time has a fun good time on league nights.

You are not the only person. I like my 9-ball APA team; I should, we won our division and are playing in the City Cup tournament tomorrow. I always have fun, but get frustrated more so with bar/hall owners that have crap equipment.

Diogenes

Silver Member
Bad night last nite... (understatement) Our supposed Capt showed, ....................................................

Worst league night I've experienced. I now know better why I choose to gamble 1 vs 1 with people I trust and enjoy.

As Mike Dechaine said - I love pool - On mutual terms, in the spirit of sportsmanship.

F this.

I have a feeling it would have gotten uglier if I (and another player) hadn't been out sick (with doctors orders to stay at home until I recover) and would have been able to be there last night. Anyone who would steal from Matt deserves more than just being kicked off of the team. Matt is as nice and as genuine a person as anyone that I've met here on AZB and it's an honor to be playing on the same UPA team. He and Pinky are both very welcome guest in my home any time. He has done a remarkable job keeping this team together and has built a good strong group of players without this a-hole.
With the current virus bug that's going around aside... I've heard the full details from Matt or "Captain Defacto" (as I now call him) and it's just jaw dropping how bold this punk was to snatch away a team mates $$$ or debit card... or anyone's $$$ for that matter. It sounds like it was an out of control circus last night and this a-hole was the biggest clown in the lot. Back in the day, they would have found him out back in a dumpster with a house cue stuffed up his butt like a pop-sickle. But we get older... we get wiser... and we learn legal ways to screw these punks at every turn.
I also look forward to meeting Doreen at some point and I'm glad that there were witnesses who had your back Matt.

There is more to this story than Matt has posted here and what he didn't post has me even more PO'd at this punk than the other stuff... but I'll remain silent as that may just be between me and Matt.

All I can say is if this guy shows his face back there after this then he's got to be an ignorant fool. Too many eyes watching now... everywhere he goes in this area.

Fortunately last night doesn't seem to be the norm (so far) for UPA league play. My experience has been mostly good... and this coming from a guy who said he would never shoot in league play. But if you ever got to know Matt on a personal level, you'd understand why I agreed to be a team member for him. I wish there was more control by the league official on hand over the crowds and conduct of those around you during a match. My last match I was about to sink the 8 ball for the win when someone (not paying attention) bumped my cue from behind while I was down on the shot and caused me to hit the cue ball about a foot or so. My opponent was gracious and understanding and told me to place the ball back to where it was and take my winning shot. There is never enough space to shoot anywhere in this city (except at my house) and worse when the opposing team brings in a horde of onlookers to shark you on every shot.

I still don't know just how to digest everything that I've heard about last night. It's hard to set back and see a friend like Matt get treated like this.

JBB2388

Banger Extraordinaire
Silver Member
I completely agree! And thanks for the welcome! :)

My team is comprised of some well seasoned players that have been in APA for years. Naturally, those people have gotten better over the years and their handicap has been adjusted accordingly. I understand APA wanting to attract new members and almost forcing splits at times... but I really really like these people! lol :(

I think our handicaps are fair, for better or worse. We're 4-4-5-5-5-5-6, with the 6 just recently having been moved up. This means he won't be able to play this weekend... he doesn't know it yet. :( Two of our other 5s could easily play as 6's and one fluctuates between a 4-5 but could honestly play either way.

I've got one 4 leaving next session so that'll make room for a couple of extra players. Hopefully I can convince someone who can't hold a cue to join our team. Nothing like a dedicated SL2! ;)

Where in CT? I'm in Southington

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Man I can't believe the stuff I read in this thread. Sometimes I think I'm the only person on this entire board that likes their teammates and 99 percent of the time has a fun good time on league nights.

I like all my teammates on both of my teams (there 4 of us on both teams, tho) and we always intend on having a good time. We usually succeed at that part, at least.

I had to change up my 8-ball team before the last session, as I was clearly NOT enjoying myself, and those four teammates agreed with me...

If you're gonna spend as much time as we do together, ya better at least be able to get along....

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
....I wish there was more control by the league official on hand over the crowds and conduct of those around you during a match. My last match I was about to sink the 8 ball for the win when someone (not paying attention) bumped my cue from behind while I was down on the shot and caused me to hit the cue ball about a foot or so. My opponent was gracious and understanding and told me to place the ball back to where it was and take my winning shot. There is never enough space to shoot anywhere in this city (except at my house) and worse when the opposing team brings in a horde of onlookers to shark you on every shot....

hey Honey! hope you're on the road to recovery?

(i need to preface this for everyone else, that regulars don't ever pay table time)

yea, i caught that after we got got home. and again, today. i've got yáll's back from here on out!:cool: i was warming up w/ Josh @ next table, and missed the crowd & interruptions part.

League shouldn't be this hard.

this is it's 3rd session (10 wks/session). and already 50% have/will have, quit. that includes the local APA League. the LO (APA & UPA) needs to stop being oblivious. and the members need to realize that the payouts, with the lost teams, alter the payouts....

i see our League, much like Am Rotation, short-lived. we had more fun & less cost/time/stress, when we were just all shooting pool & swapping $$ with our friends.

PS - did you catch the part where Steve came close to meeting God? KK9 saw A WHOLE NEW SIDE OF ME last night....

Last edited: