how are ya'll doing in league ?

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
We won both 8 and 9 in our first round of playoffs. I stunk it up against a 4 in 9 ball but squeaked out a 13-7 win. We got down 6-2 in 8 ball and our very good 4 beat a good 6 in a hill-hill game to leave us with only one possibility of winning, sweep their last player. I beat her 4-0 to seal the deal and got us a bye into the championship which automatically cinched a city playoff spot for us. So proud of my team this session. We were dead last in 8 and 9 last session and we ended up in 2nd place in both this time around.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We just started a new session..., I lost my 8 ball match and went up. I don't understand. My 8 ball win/loss record is horrible. I won 30 percent of my matches last session. One loss this session and I go up. So weird.

CGM

Silver Member
We just started a new session..., I lost my 8 ball match and went up. I don't understand. My 8 ball win/loss record is horrible. I won 30 percent of my matches last session. One loss this session and I go up. So weird.

I think they base it all off of total innings. I dont think win/loss plays into the rankings as much as we think, which seems really dumb.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Last night VNEA over 60 seniors 3man 8ball playoffs, and the last game came down to me.
Changed to a closed bridge break, wanted to make sure I didn't screw it up.
Made 4 balls, almost 5 but it got knocked out of the pocket, stopped the cue ball dead center on the table.
Ran down to the last ball wrong angle cut into the side, cue ball on the rail, took what the table gave me and left the 8ball long because I was worried about releasing the cue ball.
Tighter than typical Valley table, unforgiving pockets, I haven't been able to practice because of my back, so I was shakey
Just let my Josswest do the work, and I split the pocket.
Opponent was their best player, he screamed:
"he got out"

Very good night in seniors Valley league

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they base it all off of total innings. I dont think win/loss plays into the rankings as much as we think, which seems really dumb.

I've heard that too..., I tried tracking all of that a few years ago. Innings are a huge factory.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Won my 8 ball match against another good 6, was a pretty convincing win 5-1. Lost my nine ball match to the same guy in a display of how terribly different one can shoot in only two matches.

Stuck around and played some ring game afterwards (10 ball)...had some amazing runs and highlight reel shots...love how inconsistent I can be. My motto from now on is gonna be "keep em guessin"...whether I am gonna shoot like a 7 or a 2 is NEVER apparent ha.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Won my 8 ball match against another good 6, was a pretty convincing win 5-1. Lost my nine ball match to the same guy in a display of how terribly different one can shoot in only two matches.

Stuck around and played some ring game afterwards (10 ball)...had some amazing runs and highlight reel shots...love how inconsistent I can be. My motto from now on is gonna be "keep em guessin"...whether I am gonna shoot like a 7 or a 2 is NEVER apparent ha.

APA nine ball can be tough action, without the push after the break.
I remember playing APA years ago, I was a 7/8, playing a 4, and he was in the high 20's before I had an open shot.
Rarely lost as a seven, rarely won as an eight.
Those extra ten points killed me for some reason.
Plus I was giving ten points to guys who could spot me the 7ball

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
New session begins Jan. 8th. 8- ball is out of playoffs .. 9-ball is still in the hunt. Even though I'm captain of both, I usually only play 9-ball if we're short a player. There will be a new captain for the 9-ball team(s) next session - and I'm looking for a place to move the team to. The "lady" (and I use the term loosely) who owns our current home bar wouldn't let me have a pizza party there for the team. Diagnosed with cataracts and glaucoma yesterday. So - for me not so well. For the 9-ball team - great.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven't played my No Limit League in 10 weeks. Meanwhile, my team came in 8th, qualified for the new 8-team single elimination playoff, and they promptly snapped it off!!! And since I was a member of the team and I played half the season, .... $$$ my way!!!

And my APA 9-ball team, I won't qualify again for LTC as I only played 3 matches. But they also won the division! My teams are awesome. Must be osmosis.

Freddie <~~~ knows how to jump on teams

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member

And my APA 9-ball team, I won't qualify again for LTC as I only played 3 matches. But they also won the division! My teams are awesome. Must be osmosis.

Freddie <~~~ knows how to jump on teams

congrats on the $$ - kinda sucks about the 9ball. They/I had me play last 2 matches - just in case they needed me for playoffs.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA nine ball can be tough action, without the push after the break.
I remember playing APA years ago, I was a 7/8, playing a 4, and he was in the high 20's before I had an open shot.
Rarely lost as a seven, rarely won as an eight.
Those extra ten points killed me for some reason.
Plus I was giving ten points to guys who could spot me the 7ball

I play TAP. the highest ranking is a 7, in 9 ball the push is allowed after the break, I am a 6 in 9 ball with an 11-3 record going into the match on Monday Night. My problem wasn't with the handicap, or the format, it was that after each shot there was just a tad bit more fudge in the undies. I choked, not for a game or two, but for the whole match. Which happens, but not usually 14 minutes after I owned that person in 8 Ball.

However I cannot take anything away from the other player, he is a fantastic player.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I played about as well as I can play last night in 8-ball, managed to get a win over a young man who is quickly becoming one of the best players in our area. Very, very strong player, SL7/SL9...fun to watch play and a great kid. And only getting better! No one in our area has to like playing him.

Somehow I managed to get him on a night when he missed a couple more than he usually does (but still not very much!) and I pulled out a win. No goofy early-8's or scratching on the 8, I managed to get out when I needed to, a rare occurrence for me. I will not count on that happening if we play again.

Suffice to say, I'm pleased. If only I could play close to that way, consistently, sigh...

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a good run in my double jeopardy APA league this fall session. Won both MVPs and had a perfect season in 8 ball.

Our 2 was made a 3 the week before playoffs which precluded me and our teams 7 from both playing in the matches as we had all year which made us formidable, and we lost first round. We were middle of the pack in 9 ball but won both playoff matches easily and made it to the Blast, a single game tourney that weeds out half the field for the city championships. My team is a lot of fun and the Double Jeopardy league in general is great.

I am gradually improving but still several balls behind what I was 20 years ago before I stopped playing. Strong 6 in 8 ball, very strong 7 in 9 ball, still miss way too often.

APA 9 ball is interesting and quite often frustrating. I have completely dominated some matches and had opponents luck in a few balls late and get 10-15 points. No push out is brutal, easy to get hooked on the break and wind up selling out the entire rack. It seems just going for slop on a 7 foot table in 9 ball is an actual strategy.

Still it's a lot of fun, and I am getting used to the fact that I am what I am and will likely never be a run out type of player again, but have my moments.

I can honestly say as well that my Lambros has helped my game

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No league this week or next, but that was nice, I got to play in the weekly Tuesday 10 ball tournament which is usually fields a pretty strong lineup. Jeremy Jones went deep, as did a few other notable players. Filled out a full 32 on a Tuesday Night, I shot well, but with the number of high caliber players present I was happy with the few wins I got. Will give it another go this coming Tuesday evening, since there also is no league this week.

It is just always really cool when you can throw down 10 bucks and compete with a pro or two, especially folks like JJ who aren't stuck on their own greatness.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I played about as well as I can play last night in 8-ball, managed to get a win over a young man who is quickly becoming one of the best players in our area. Very, very strong player, SL7/SL9...fun to watch play and a great kid. And only getting better! No one in our area has to like playing him.

Somehow I managed to get him on a night when he missed a couple more than he usually does (but still not very much!) and I pulled out a win. No goofy early-8's or scratching on the 8, I managed to get out when I needed to, a rare occurrence for me. I will not count on that happening if we play again.

Suffice to say, I'm pleased. If only I could play close to that way, consistently, sigh...

And then, two days later, I reverted back to donkey-mode. So frustrating.....sigh

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And then, two days later, I reverted back to donkey-mode. So frustrating.....sigh

Feel for you dub as that pretty much my m o . Also lol.

Due to holidays and none of my teams made playoffs....first time I can recall that ever happening ....o have not picked up a cue in 2 weeks.. I believe my first night in the new session will.be Sunday Jan. 7th.

When I do go back to playing I believe every joint I have in this old body will be creaking when I get in my stance and start stroking from lack of use lol.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
My 9ball team won our LTC. Next larger region/area is Jan. 6 I think - but it's not posted yet.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Feel for you dub as that pretty much my m o . Also lol.

Due to holidays and none of my teams made playoffs....first time I can recall that ever happening ....o have not picked up a cue in 2 weeks.. I believe my first night in the new session will.be Sunday Jan. 7th.

When I do go back to playing I believe every joint I have in this old body will be creaking when I get in my stance and start stroking from lack of use lol.

I bet when you play again after a layoff, you'll be great. I think a short break is good once in a while....

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once again no league this week, so I played in the Tuesday night 9 ball tournament instead. Won a couple of matches before I drew Jeremy Jones in the fourth round...went hill-hill, I broke and promptly whiffed on the two ball leaving him ball in hand, unsurprisingly he ran out, but it was a cool experience running one rack from the six and then breaking and leaving an impossible 1-9 carom that magically fell into the pocket setting up the hill hill game that was definitely not a contest. Dude is all class though, and is extremely like-able.

I ended up out of the tournament after the following match, but it was a lot of fun. I always say that 10 bucks to play in a tournament that has JJ and several other high caliber players every week is a friggin steal. Another year and I should be able to hang with all of these guys...at least that is the plan haha. The new home table I am getting next month should really help in this regard.

Good luck all!!! Hope league is going great for everyone.

CGM

Silver Member
We won the division championship in 8 and 9 and qualified for the city tournament after being dead last in both last session. We picked up a couple of guys and the experience from the first session for the first time guys really paid dividends this session. Very proud of my team. A really fun group. We start again this Sunday.