how are ya'll doing in league ?

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Played Valley last night. Shot a 47 and only gave up a total of 15 points. Should have been a 50 but I made a great shot on the 1 tickying it off of a stripe that was blocking the pocket only to have the cue ball roll out down table and get wired to the 8. Still played great overall. Really makes me want to play and practice more.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
congrats to Maniac.
Dropped paperwork off for Monday 8ball - but didn't play. Haven't been feeling well.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
congrats to Maniac.
Dropped paperwork off for Monday 8ball - but didn't play. Haven't been feeling well.

You stated you dropped paperwork off. Do you have to deliver it to a specific location ?

In our area I have played bcapl....apa...napa and now usapl. The procedure for paperwork has always been the same.

The scoresheets for whichever teams are playing at whatever venue are already there. At the end of league you place your scoresheet and fees collected into an envelope provided and seal it ....writing your team name on it. You hand it to the person at the counter for the league operator to pick up the next day....or whenever he gets to it.

He then goes over the scoresheets entering the data and prints out new scoresheets with revised handicaps and division standings if applicable and delivers them to the venue you are playing at next week.

In other words our lo does a heckuva lot of running around picking up and delivering scoresheets twice a week to every venue we play at. Not sure how many venues we play at in our area but I do know on some nights leagues are being held at several venues at the same time. no telling how many miles a week he drives but he definitely earns his money.

Apa runs 7 nights a week. Usapl is currently twice and he is talking about expanding to a 3rd night.

Sunday might be my apa lo's easiest day. He has 3 divisions playing at the same venue on that day so its easy to pick up all scoresheets at one time. They have scotch doubles...masters and double jeapordy all being held on Sunday . Masters and scotch doubles start at 2:00 and double jeapordy starts at 7:00. There are 2 other venues that also hold matches on Sunday also so its not like he has to travel to just one venue on that particular day.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
You stated you dropped paperwork off. Do you have to deliver it to a specific location ?

In our area I have played bcapl....apa...napa and now usapl. The procedure for paperwork has always been the same.

The scoresheets for whichever teams are playing at whatever venue are already there. At the end of league you place your scoresheet and fees collected into an envelope provided and seal it ....writing your team name on it. You hand it to the person at the counter for the league operator to pick up the next day....or whenever he gets to it.

He then goes over the scoresheets entering the data and prints out new scoresheets with revised handicaps and division standings if applicable and delivers them to the venue you are playing at next week.

In other words our lo does a heckuva lot of running around picking up and delivering scoresheets twice a week to every venue we play at. Not sure how many venues we play at in our area but I do know on some nights leagues are being held at several venues at the same time. no telling how many miles a week he drives but he definitely earns his money.

Apa runs 7 nights a week. Usapl is currently twice and he is talking about expanding to a 3rd night.

Sunday might be my apa lo's easiest day. He has 3 divisions playing at the same venue on that day so its easy to pick up all scoresheets at one time. They have scotch doubles...masters and double jeapordy all being held on Sunday . Masters and scotch doubles start at 2:00 and double jeapordy starts at 7:00. There are 2 other venues that also hold matches on Sunday also so its not like he has to travel to just one venue on that particular day.

Here in Indy it depends on what league you're in and where you play. If you play APA (the biggest league here) at some bars the score sheets will be there and they have drop boxes for the envelopes. Usually that is at places where multiple teams play. If you're at a bar that only has one or two teams you are responsible for printing score sheets and dropping them off at the Indy APA hq. In Valley league I think most bars have drop boxes, but you are responsible for bringing blank score sheets to fill in with player info from the website on league night.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here in Indy it depends on what league you're in and where you play. If you play APA (the biggest league here) at some bars the score sheets will be there and they have drop boxes for the envelopes. Usually that is at places where multiple teams play. If you're at a bar that only has one or two teams you are responsible for printing score sheets and dropping them off at the Indy APA hq. In Valley league I think most bars have drop boxes, but you are responsible for bringing blank score sheets to fill in with player info from the website on league night.

Well I guess league players in my area have got it easy. We have a small sunday travel division the just started up with 6 teams. You only have 2 teams at a particular venue that night and it works the same as the other divisions....the scoresheets are there waiting on you.

Heck I can text my lo saying I want to add a player and if he has not already made up the next weeks scoresheet and delivered it already that player will be on my scoresheet when I arrive at league. It doesn't matter if it an existing member or a player new to league.

I text my usapl lo on Friday and added a player and when I got to league Monday night that players name was on my scoresheet . You cant ask for better lo's than we have in my area. I can text either lo with a rule question and get an answer pretty much right away....especially during a match.

radnur22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried one more night, but it will probably be my last. I was moved up to a 6 in 9-ball from last week and played a 6 in 9-ball this week. I won 45 to 19. They didn't play me in 8 ball (6 players on our team). By the time I found out I wasn't going to play 8-ball, it was towards the end of the matches. So 4 1/2 hours and one match of 9-ball. Dang, that was painful :(

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried one more night, but it will probably be my last. I was moved up to a 6 in 9-ball from last week and played a 6 in 9-ball this week. I won 45 to 19. They didn't play me in 8 ball (6 players on our team). By the time I found out I wasn't going to play 8-ball, it was towards the end of the matches. So 4 1/2 hours and one match of 9-ball. Dang, that was painful :(

That can be tough. In those situations it really helps if you have a couple good buddies on your team, then you can look at it like a guys night out, sitting around at the bar hanging out with friends.

radnur22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That can be tough. In those situations it really helps if you have a couple good buddies on your team, then you can look at it like a guys night out, sitting around at the bar hanging out with friends.

Initially they were looking for a 4 or less. I have never played leagues so I didn't know how I rated. The team already has several 5' and 6's so they probably don't need me.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

I hear stories about this stuff regularly, its fun to see how different this stuff is in various areas of the country.

Our LO's territory covers most of the state of Maine, a large geographical swath of countryside. Anywhere between 10 to 15 divisions on a given session. Shortest distance between the two most distant divisions is over 200 miles. So there isn't any driving around to deliver and/or pick up stuff here.

The L.O. mails our paperwork to each team typically a day before our match, and its our responsibility to mail it back, with a check (unless paid to them directly with C.C.) within a day or two after the match. They'll give us a days grace period if we scan and email the scoresheets to them, so that they can enter the data and not have to wait for the mail.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear stories about this stuff regularly, its fun to see how different this stuff is in various areas of the country.

Our LO's territory covers most of the state of Maine, a large geographical swath of countryside. Anywhere between 10 to 15 divisions on a given session. Shortest distance between the two most distant divisions is over 200 miles. So there isn't any driving around to deliver and/or pick up stuff here.

The L.O. mails our paperwork to each team typically a day before our match, and its our responsibility to mail it back, with a check (unless paid to them directly with C.C.) within a day or two after the match. They'll give us a days grace period if we scan and email the scoresheets to them, so that they can enter the data and not have to wait for the mail.

I can fully understand your lo's position. Apa covers 2 counties here and I think its about 50 miles between the 2 farthest venues. Apa also has about 15 divisions here....maybe a few more. I will look it up later. Usapl currently has 2 divisions and heard he was starting a 3rd last week. .

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
One thing I should add. In our Valley league we take pictures of our score sheets and email them to the league manager. We still drop off the paper copies with the money, but taking a picture gets our stats updated much faster. APA is still done the dinosaur way. I can't believe they don't have an app or something.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just looked up my Fargo stats as they are usually updated a couple days after your match.

I was raised his as I suspected I would be. I am now a 512. I was thinking I would like to reach 550 before old age hits me.. 63 now. :)

I just show u and play now...i hardly ever even hit a few balls before match time even though we get free practice time. Maybe if I started practicing sometimes...possibly even doing a few drills every now and then I might could reach that level. I dunno....hard to get motivated to do all that.. I just aint into hitting balls over and over by myself.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Lost my 9ball match last night - but in bigger news: Our team has had it with our current home bar - so I'm in the process of moving the team to another venue. APA doesn't appear to be happy about it.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Lost my 9ball match last night - but in bigger news: Our team has had it with our current home bar - so I'm in the process of moving the team to another venue. APA doesn't appear to be happy about it.

What are they gonna do? Put you guys in APA jail?
Technically, if it's during a session trying to change home locations is against the rules
unless it's with the agreement of the current home location or approval of your LO.
We had a situation like that, we would contact the other team and ask if it was possible
to play at their house instead of ours when we had a home match. We would only play at
home if we absolutely had to.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

Here in the Denver west suburb, there are several drop off - pick up points for paperwork
and money. We let the office know at the beginning of the session where we'd like to
pick up (the visiting teal always picks up and drops off) and we can then drop off at
any of the designated points, and our LO only accepts cash. Each of the drop off
locations have an APA mail box (a large lock box with a mail slot), or the bar or pool hall
has a secure location and the envelopes are left with location staff. It's pretty convenient really.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Technically, if it's during a session trying to change home locations is against the rules
unless it's with the agreement of the current home location or approval of your LO.
We had a situation like that, we would contact the other team and ask if it was possible
to play at their house instead of ours when we had a home match. We would only play at

Really dont know aha the lo could do or why he would even care for that matter.

Its a long story but basically a room owner put the shaft to a few teams in a division I play in.i and another team captain flat out told the lo that our teams were not going to play at this owners venue when it came to traveling there. Our place or no place basically. The lo wound up putting that owners teams in another division.

This guy also hold several tournaments that people have asked me to play on their teams I turned the all down because of where the tournaments were held at. Thus guy is not getting any of my business.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member

I did get a smile out of the "APA jail" - anyway:
Technically I think our own local rules say we can move within the 1st four weeks of the session. The main issue is "sister teams" - but I went through and told them how the schedule could work with minimal changes. Anyway - waiting to hear back from them.

One thing I do wish is that our LO was more accessible. He's running multiple divisions, I think at least a half dozen. I only met him once at the last wild card draw. His secretary is nice enough though - just that she can get things wrong at times. And is slow at getting the scoresheets mailed to the team captains. It is what it is though - I enjoy playing so I don't usually make much of a fuss. It's a real shame that the place we've been has been so inhospitable to us - cause it is a very nice venue (or at least it could be)

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Technically I think our own local rules say we can move within the 1st four weeks of the session. The main issue is "sister teams" - but I went through and told them how the schedule could work with minimal changes. Anyway - waiting to hear back from them.

One thing I do wish is that our LO was more accessible. He's running multiple divisions, I think at least a half dozen. I only met him once at the last wild card draw. His secretary is nice enough though - just that she can get things wrong at times. And is slow at getting the scoresheets mailed to the team captains. It is what it is though - I enjoy playing so I don't usually make much of a fuss. It's a real shame that the place we've been has been so inhospitable to us - cause it is a very nice venue (or at least it could be)

Yeah, we just played somewhere else and didn't tell anyone. A year or so later out LO
asked about it, but nobody wanted to play there so we all had a good laugh.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Reading your post makes me glad I have the apa lo I do. The usapl lo aint bad but he apparently is going through some growing pains. He is a lil slow getting schedules out but is easily accessible when you have problems.

My spa lo and I have just spent the last 3 hours texting back and forth about a lot if stuff. Some league related and some not. Very easy to get a hold of just about any waking hour. Heck we have texted each other at midnight a few times or league related issues ...and no we aint best buddies or anything like that.