Cyclop Hyperion Pool Balls

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure what the purpose is for the three giant number balls (eight, nine and ten) and the cue ball with dots and squares is a little confusing as well. I hope they play better than they look. There's probably a dozen people on here who could create a more aesthetic design for pool balls that is pleasing to the eye.

To each his own I guess. I particularly like the 8 ball. The number really stands out against the black (but I'm half blind so the large size may appeal to me for that reason lol). The dragon graphic is pretty cool too.

shrug

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Why they think that thick clear coating on the cue balls is a good idea is beyond me. It has been like that on all of their cue balls that I can recall and it is beyond distracting. I know it doesn't bother some people as much or at all, but I don't know of a single person that actually prefers it so it just makes no sense to do when so many dislike it to varying degrees.

As for this set in particular, as others have mentioned I am not a fan of the octagon around the numbers. Also don't like the huge numbers on the 8, 9, and 10 balls which look hokey and distracting. For some reason I don't mind the huge dragons too much but they would probably be better at about one third to half the size. Also hate the squares on the cue ball. I'm sure they are trying to differentiate themselves in looks from the measles ball but those squares look terrible. Would be better to use all circles and just make them another color besides red to get your differentiation. Not a set I would ever consider buying, looks terrible overall.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have heard Cyclop cannot duplicate the measles ball as the all dot design is proprietary to Aramith. As for the depth of the rectangles and circles, I kinda like it. It's different and you really do not notice it when you are playing. We shall see what the final verdict is from the players at Derby City this year.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have heard Cyclop cannot duplicate the measles ball as the all dot design is proprietary to Aramith. As for the depth of the rectangles and circles, I kinda like it. It's different and you really do not notice it when you are playing. We shall see what the final verdict is from the players at Derby City this year.

Likely the same as each time a change is made: some like it and some dont.

In 2003, nobody liked the measles ball. Now, they yearn for it.

Whaddya gonna do?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure what the purpose is for the three giant number balls (eight, nine and ten) and the cue ball with dots and squares is a little confusing as well. I hope they play better than they look. There's probably a dozen people on here who could create a more aesthetic design for pool balls that is pleasing to the eye.

I think it was made to have onlookers react as in "hey look at what that guy is playing with". Would be a hit to those that like sparkly paint on their cars and 22" chrome spinny wheels.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it was made to have onlookers react as in "hey look at what that guy is playing with". Would be a hit to those that like sparkly paint on their cars and 22" chrome spinny wheels.
If the case and cue markets are any indication, pool people do in fact love gaudy gear.

jacob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So the Derby City Classic flyer says the event is using Cyclop TV cue balls. When I purchased a single red dot Cyclop cueball a couple years ago it was called a TV cueball. I would like to know for sure what cueball will be used in the Derby? Cyclop's version of a measles ball, or the single red dot ball?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the Derby City Classic flyer says the event is using Cyclop TV cue balls. When I purchased a single red dot Cyclop cueball a couple years ago it was called a TV cueball. I would like to know for sure what cueball will be used in the Derby? Cyclop's version of a measles ball, or the single red dot ball?

Then call the event hosts.

Share developments with us.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have new sets of these balls at the club I play at. I was told by Greg that all tables at DCC will have the Hyperion TV colored balls with their version of the measles ball.

They seem to play good and consistent so far. A little to adjust to just because of the color. I dont mind as I bought a set of regular and TV colors when Diamond first started using them.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
have u rolled them on your little rampy thing?

I roll tested the Hyperion Cue Ball, Single Dot Cyclop Cue Ball and the Aramith Measle Ball.

Rolling from the end rail to the foot rail, the Single Dot Cyclop Cue Ball rebounded off the foot rail the farthest with the Hyperion Cue Ball rebounding the second farthest and the Measle Ball a very close third.

Test Tool
44898723095_f2873376e5_b.jpg

Results:
45087398404_e370054834_b.jpg

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I roll tested the Hyperion Cue Ball, Single Dot Cyclop Cue Ball and the Aramith Measle Ball.

Rolling from the end rail to the foot rail, the Single Dot Cyclop Cue Ball rebounded off the foot rail the farthest with the Hyperion Cue Ball rebounding the second farthest and the Measle Ball a very close third.

Test Tool
44898723095_f2873376e5_b.jpg

Results:
45087398404_e370054834_b.jpg

Nice test.

Just wondering about the condition of the balls, specifically if like one of them was fresh from the factory as opposed to a ball that had a few miles on it.

Lou Figueroa

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice test.

Just wondering about the condition of the balls, specifically if like one of them was fresh from the factory as opposed to a ball that had a few miles on it.

Lou Figueroa

Both Cyclop balls are new with very little play on them. The Aramith ball is fairly new with some play on it; nothing significant. All three went for a cycle in my ball polisher prior to the test.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not only are they strange looking but in all my years around this game(approx. 42yrs) i've never heard of balls "breaking/chipping" besides Cyclop. I'm talking about during play and not thru abuse. I'm a Centennial/Aramith guy and always will be. BTW, i'm NOT a fan of either company's T.V. color sets.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those cue balls appear to be different sizes.

Does seyberts sell that 'rampy thing'?

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
Why they think that thick clear coating on the cue balls is a good idea is beyond me. It has been like that on all of their cue balls that I can recall and it is beyond distracting. I know it doesn't bother some people as much or at all, but I don't know of a single person that actually prefers it so it just makes no sense to do when so many dislike it to varying degrees.

My understanding is that the coating on the cue ball is required for the Diamond Smart Tables to read the cue ball and drop it into the cue ball return. That's why they work with red circle cue balls and not measle cue balls.