Porper B motor upgrade complete

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Hey guys. I have been wanting to add an industrial sewing machine motor to my Porper B and just never had the time. Well, after the 2nd original style motor went out, I felt I had no choice. Funny how that works out isn't it??? I basically removed the back cover and made a new cover out of 1/4" thick aluminum. I then rewired everything in order to keep the controls on the factory front panel. The next step is to mount a feed screw motor on the far right end of the lathe with a bigger motor as the one in it hesitates and jerks at low speeds... I haven't replaced the tool / collet rack on top of the head stock yet, as I will wait until the new feed screw motor is installed.
If any other Porper B owners have been thinking of doing this, it is a huge improvement...
Porper upgrade 1.jpg
Porper upgrade 2.jpg
Porper plate.jpg

Last edited:
Kirk, two quick questions. (1) When wiring into the existing Porper control panel, did you carry over the potentiometer that came with the industrial sewing machine motor? (2) Is the lathe brake switch still functional?

My thoughts,
(1) There is a high likelihood that the potentiometer rating for the sewing machine motor are different than the stock POT on the Porper. So you probably had to switch it over. Also, some of these motors came with a clicker style pot, which doesn't lend well to certain operations, like wrapping or finish work. In my opinion its best to swap out the clicker style with a gradual POT.

(2) I hope the lathe brake still works, via the switch on the panel. The sewing machine motor originally comes with a friction pad that works well for sewing operations but working with a lathe is a different animal. But I guess pulling the lever on the friction pad will work for some.

Great work and thanks for sharing your experiences.

Mark (Alamo Cue Repairs)

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Kirk, two quick questions. (1) When wiring into the existing Porper control panel, did you carry over the potentiometer that came with the industrial sewing machine motor? (2) Is the lathe brake switch still functional?

My thoughts,
(1) There is a high likelihood that the potentiometer rating for the sewing machine motor are different than the stock POT on the Porper. So you probably had to switch it over. Also, some of these motors came with a clicker style pot, which doesn't lend well to certain operations, like wrapping or finish work. In my opinion its best to swap out the clicker style with a gradual POT.

(2) I hope the lathe brake still works, via the switch on the panel. The sewing machine motor originally comes with a friction pad that works well for sewing operations but working with a lathe is a different animal. But I guess pulling the lever on the friction pad will work for some.

Great work and thanks for sharing your experiences.

Mark (Alamo Cue Repairs)

I changed out the potentiometer with a smooth style... Non click...And just put the Porper dial knob on it.... I left the original wired up , but taped it up out of the way... All of the motors sold these days have the click style switch. I had a dealer check each of the ones he had and all were click style.... I removed the brake as I really don't think it is really nessisary for my needs. The motor I am going to use for the feed screw is also 90 volt, just bigger, so a simple plug change is all I will need on it...

deadbeat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could you link the potentiometer so I can change my click one on my moter like that?

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys. I have been wanting to add an industrial sewing machine motor to my Porper B and just never had the time. Well, after the 2nd original style motor went out, I felt I had no choice. Funny how that works out isn't it??? I basically removed the back cover and made a new cover out of 1/4" thick aluminum. I then rewired everything in order to keep the controls on the factory front panel. The next step is to mount a feed screw motor on the far right end of the lathe with a bigger motor as the one in it hesitates and jerks at low speeds... I haven't replaced the tool / collet rack on top of the head stock yet, as I will wait until the new feed screw motor is installed.
If any other Porper B owners have been thinking of doing this, it is a huge improvement...
View attachment 509563
View attachment 509564
View attachment 509565
Great Idea.