Ronnie O'Sullivan 1K Centuries - Contest!!!

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i've noticed for many years now that ronnie seems to get fewer kicks / skids than other players. it must be his stroke. anyone else seen this? i have no statistical backing, just a hunch

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No centuries from Ronnie this week -- he was scheduled to play in the Scottish Open but withdrew.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i've noticed for many years now that ronnie seems to get fewer kicks / skids than other players. it must be his stroke. anyone else seen this? i have no statistical backing, just a hunch

Maybe it's because he frequently uses close to gearing outside side spin.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuetracker.net does a nice job of keeping snooker stats. In particular, they also keep stats on rates of 50+ breaks. I've included below Mark Williams stats and he is making a century every 18.31 frames. Ronnie is off the charts at one every 6.39 frames. Most players sit around 14-18 frame mark. But this would suggest that centuries are not as common per player as it would seem. Instead, there are just more players capable of a century break at any time.

Ultimately, I think it's tough to compare the difficulty of a century vs anything else. No all breaks in snooker are created equal, some are way more difficult than others depending on the layout. Whereas a straight pool runs are pretty consistently difficult and mostly impacted by the difficulty of the table.

https://cuetracker.net/players/mark-williams

Especially a player like Mosconi , most of his runs were done on half the table.
After 10s of thousands of games I would imagine he saw a lot of very similar layouts when he played.
I know sometimes when I am playing a rack of nine ball I will remember an almost identical setup from a previous game , some are from many years ago.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry guys, doesn't look like anyone will be winning the gift certificate before XMAS.

Ronnie has withdrawn from the Scottish Open, citing the scheduling as the main reason.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing a little wild in this one with a few misses but when he is in he is in. He is a better player all round now than he has ever been. Shouldn’t be surprised I guess.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Ronnie leads 5-1 going to 6.

"All over Stuart Bingham like a rash", according to the commentary.

Last edited:

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie missed an easy red to the side in game 7, allowed Stuart to run enough that Ronnie conceded the game after a Stuart miss. Game 8 Stuart was at 67 needing one point to secure the frame. Ronnie got bad position and took a pink instead of a black. Tied the frame 67-67, and Ronnie won the ensuing black ball respot. Won the match 6-1

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Ronnie missed an easy red to the side in game 7, allowed Stuart to run enough that Ronnie conceded the game after a Stuart miss. Game 8 Stuart was at 67 needing one point to secure the frame. Ronnie got bad position and took a pink instead of a black. Tied the frame 67-67, and Ronnie won the ensuing black ball respot. Won the match 6-1
Minor correction: Stuart won the first frame. So the final was 6-2. Winning the first frame would normally inspire confidence. The first was a scrappy frame with Stuart receiving 32 penalty points and a high break of 25. That didn't make him feel all that comfortable.:sorry:

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Ronnie will be playing Ryan Day in the morning, 6 am my time in Phoenix. I have been finding the matches on Facebook, by searching 'snooker live'.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So, there is some uncertainty about whether Ronnie had a century in his fourth frame against Sanderson Lam in the 2019 Welsh Open. This hinges on when a shot is considered to be complete and the points scored. He had either a 101 break or a 95 break.

With Ronnie, it's always something.:)

Last edited: