Question ref: Free Pool night

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question for bar owners with coin op tables or even pay by the hour tables.

I see advertisements for "Free Pool Night"

Do owners see an increase in alcohol and /or food sales when free pool night is offered?

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Question for bar owners with coin op tables or even pay by the hour tables.

I see advertisements for "Free Pool Night"

Do owners see an increase in alcohol and /or food sales when free pool night is offered?

The good usually outweighs the bad, but you will have lots of people hold tables hostage for hours and not spend a dime. Brian.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The good usually outweighs the bad, but you will have lots of people hold tables hostage for hours and not spend a dime. Brian.
Yes, there will always be a certain number of people that take full advantage of stuff like that, to the extreme.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The reason I asked is because I played in a Tournament last night. I got 3rd and didn't stick around to see who was going to win...I knew who was going to win.

I got a call from the bar owner this morning asking what time I left. I told him I left after my last game. He said that when he walked in this morning, both coin op tables were still open meaning that everyone played free after the tourny ended last night.

I normally catch this and close the tables after the tourny but obviously left before it was over.

It just got me thinking about pros and cons of leaving the tables open one night a week after that tournament and would it keep people around spending money.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One way to avoid the total free loader crowd is to offer free pool with a food or drink purchase. I have seen it done this way and with no stipulations. The without a purchase option news gets around and you end up with a mess on your hands.

In the case the OP is asking about I would consider letting the people that played in the tournament play free for the rest of the night-no stipulations. Seen this done a lot of times. Gives an extra incentive to folks to play the tourney and if they hang around long enough they will end up getting something to drink or eat hopefully.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
There is a bar in my neighborhood that offers free pool on Sundays and Mondays. Those days are typically slower days for them. The free pool attracts some folks who do stay and buy drinks. Net gain, methinks, over the coin drop on a typical slow day