Have Bar Box Tables Evolved?

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't played pool in a bar for decades. Just newly re-interested in pool.

I was wondering, are bar tables essentially the same as they were 30+ years ago, except perhaps the number of quarters for a game?

Are there any debit card operated, or Samsung Pay, or other NFC mobile payment tables?

Any play queue management technology?

Do they still recognize the cue ball by size, or magnetically? I was thinking a 21st century table could have RFID tags in all the balls, detect them as they drop, and return balls or not based on what game one has paid for.

Thanks!

jv

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was wondering, are bar tables essentially the same as they were 30+ years ago, except perhaps the number of quarters for a game?

Are there any debit card operated, or Samsung Pay, or other NFC mobile payment tables?

Do they still recognize the cue ball by size, or magnetically? I was thinking a 21st century table could have RFID tags in all the balls, detect them as they drop, and return balls or not based on what game one has paid for.

Thanks!

jv
Current state-of-the-art in bar tables: http://www.diamondbilliards.com/CommercialTables/SmartTable.aspx

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. That's a bit underwhelming! Is that really the highest-tech "pay per play" table around?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Thanks. That's a bit underwhelming! Is that really the highest-tech "pay per play" table around?

The better question is, what do you think bar tables should have changed into, they're still in the same environment as they were introduced into when they were introduced into. No, the bar tables don't rack the balls for you, no they don't shoot the balls in for you. Yes, there's still bar tables on the market that were there when you quit playing, as bar tables are not upgraded every couple of years. Yes, there are bar tables that you can use a debt, credit card to pay to play, but they're not main stream tables.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks!

jv
You've missed a lot.

Some have different ways to pay: bills, credit card, tokens, bypass

The Diamond Smart Tables were introduced many years ago, and are the small table of choice for many tournaments including many professional bar table events as well as amateur national events. The system uses an optical sensor system that measures how much light transmits through a regular cueball. So, it measures light transmissivity or what Diamond calls "Optical Density." Certain cueballs have a significantly higher light transmissivity, so the system is fairly robust.

The 7' table that Diamond makes (which doesn't necessarily incorporate the Smart Table system) is simply the best small table on the market, and it plays like a regular table.

I think the rest of posters so far really haven't answered your question. Yes, bar tables have changed, but crappy bar table designs are still out there.

Freddie

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks!

jv
Seriously, how much tech does a bar-box need? Bar owners want CASH. They don't really care about hi-tech pmt systems. Also, people have a habit of stealing balls. That's why most bars have shitty pool balls. RFID would just make them more expensive to replace. Look, its a BAR BOX. Put in your dough and play. Simple concept. Usually i guess.

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks!

jv

As far as playing on a bar box, nothing has changed.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few yr ago it seems like there were tons of 7ft table tourney for pros. Some were like $1K entry, race to 21.

Glad to see much less of them and more big table tournaments again.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
At the APA Team event last summer I saw that Kerry (?) the Ridgeback rail guy had an electronic
payment system for bar tables. I believe it was Apple and Android compliant as well as
credit card and took regular old money too. Of course, I haven't seen that in any bar or
pool hall, but it's out there

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the APA Team event last summer I saw that Kerry (?) the Ridgeback rail guy had an electronic
payment system for bar tables. I believe it was Apple and Android compliant as well as
credit card and took regular old money too. Of course, I haven't seen that in any bar or
pool hall, but it's out there
Thanks. I'm interested in learning more about this, if you recall, or come up with anything.

Cheers,

jv

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Still unconvinced why in some countries bars charge for pool.

I dont understand your comment. Are you saying that pool should be free? Or maybe that in some countries pool is so unpopular that nobody would pay for pool??

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still unconvinced why in some countries bars charge for pool.
Curious; in what country do you reside?

In the U.S. it has been this way as long as I remember, with a small number of exceptions. One dive bar I frequented had a broken bar box where the mechanism was defeated, and the bartender would just give you the balls. You were responsible for them, in the event someone stole one, or threw one through the window.

Otherwise, it's actually a good way of arbitrating access to the table, and limiting the time for each game. Eight ball was the only game, and the bar rules reflect the fact that the only pocketed ball that returns without a coin reset is the cue ball. The quarter to dollar price was inconsequential to the clientele. You put your quarter on the rail with the others, sometimes with a way of identifying it, and when your turn came up you challenged the winner of the previous game. I've seen "regulars" use a unique poker chip or some such token in the queue. You played for free after as long as you kept winning. You could only have one quarter on the rail, and couldn't place another until after you had lost.

That's my experience, and my take, anyway.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the local bars in Boise has some tables that are electronically controlled. Push a button to release the balls. Not sure what kind they are, next time I'm there I'll take a look.

Valley/Dynamo has something similar but these are different.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the local bars in Boise has some tables that are electronically controlled. Push a button to release the balls. Not sure what kind they are, next time I'm there I'll take a look.

Valley/Dynamo has something similar but these are different.

Thank you!