So, I was going through my stash

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I bet hand planing wood is less stressful than putting them through doweling machines.

Well for most without discipline for sharpening they’d probably end up feeling a little differient. The doweling machines look hella cool I’ve never used one I have used the auto rotating/feeding dowell sanders those are suhhweet, but I’ve done a lot of my doweling on wood lathes and then I started using the tablesaw and a jig....it’s a lot of fun on the wood lathe and using the jig.....

Told my buddy I need to make one to use the chainsaw with lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bet hand planing wood is less stressful than putting them through doweling machines

It sure surprised me when i learned cue builders/blank suppliers used them. There's not a lot of inherent straightening capability. But i guess just making dowels, getting most of the stock off to relieve stress from that influence, and then straighten them in follow up operations, or by the purchaser makes sense.

I make my cones in a planer......hee, hee... that's bound to raise some eyebrows...and continue the (Honest!) initially unintended hijack. :thumbup:

Joe, I am so far behind i don't want to say anything that could be construed as leading to empty promises, but those blades might be interesting to a cue maker (I have not tried one for trimming tips). The cutting edge is M4 high speed steel, welded to mild steel shank. It will take more abrasion between sharpening than high carbon tool steel. OTOH, the handy packs of box knife blades are quick, sharp and cheap, lol.

smt

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
It sure surprised me when i learned cue builders/blank suppliers used them. There's not a lot of inherent straightening capability. But i guess just making dowels, getting most of the stock off to relieve stress from that influence, and then straighten them in follow up operations, or by the purchaser makes sense.

I make my cones in a planer......hee, hee... that's bound to raise some eyebrows...and continue the (Honest!) initially unintended hijack. :thumbup:

Joe, I am so far behind i don't want to say anything that could be construed as leading to empty promises, but those blades might be interesting to a cue maker (I have not tried one for trimming tips). The cutting edge is M4 high speed steel, welded to mild steel shank. It will take more abrasion between sharpening than high carbon tool steel. OTOH, the handy packs of box knife blades are quick, sharp and cheap, lol.

smt

No probs. I'm not selling either of the pieces shown.
I did not know they use that high end of a blade for planers.
Lord, M4 is one of the super steels Sypderco uses on their limited run of knives .

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
No probs. I'm not selling either of the pieces shown.

I did not know they use that high end of a blade for planers.

Lord, M4 is one of the super steels Sypderco uses on their limited run of knives .

Man they got competitions for hoe many microns you can plane off lol....even the folks who dress like vampires are as serious as anyone else lmfao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Found this under the pile.
Ironwood burl.
The only really dense burl that I've come across.

Attachments

• irw.jpg
    irw.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 335

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Found this under the pile.
Ironwood burl.
The only really dense burl that I've come across.

Looks a lot like Thuya, at least from what I can see. Thuya is pretty dense, not very heavy but solid. At least the block I bought years ago.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Looks a lot like Thuya, at least from what I can see. Thuya is pretty dense, not very heavy but solid. At least the block I bought years ago.

Ohhhhh man say Joey don’t know wut he got in de wood pile! Get the gloves lmao....it does look like thuya what do youtha think joey lol

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Ohhhhh man say Joey don’t know wut he got in de wood pile! Get the gloves lmao....it does look like thuya what do youtha think joey lol

Dis knott thuya far shoh.
Too heavy.

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be clear, I wasn’t saying your Burl was Thuya, just commenting on how they look similar.

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Turned two old chopped up house cues. :D
One has a weird looking red handle. Not sappy. I have no idea what it is.
It's on the thin side now.

One has the aromatic kind of rosewood.
A great find. It's straight and still oversized in the middle.
Will need a 3" extension to get to 29".
Gonna make me a cue out of this one. Can't find this stuff so easily anymore.

I just tripped across this old thread and did not see this test listed to see if the red handle was purpleheart or not.

You can use a black light on it. If it is purple heart it will have flourescent streaks in it.

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Turned two old chopped up house cues. :D
One has a weird looking red handle. Not sappy. I have no idea what it is.
It's on the thin side now.

One has the aromatic kind of rosewood.
A great find. It's straight and still oversized in the middle.
Will need a 3" extension to get to 29".
Gonna make me a cue out of this one. Can't find this stuff so easily anymore.
Some of those aroma cues carry covid so send them all to me for disposal. But seriously, I know a few people that like the shorter cues of old. Could be that size would be perfect for some people?? Great find...good luck...