Proud dad moment

dlvh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Impressive....Most Impressive! A Proud Dad moment indeed! Congrats to you both!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get excited any time I hear Shaw has been beaten.

Shaw =:bash: = your son☆☆☆☆☆

CONGRATULATIONS,

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! That is a v nice accomplishment.

According to Fargo rate that wouldn't even be a match.

Alex Gurevich 582

Jason Shaw 821

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is EXACTLY why I ignore Fargo ratings when matching up unless the person has a TON of robustness.

At the Rocket city open, I had just beat Danny Smith and Josh Roberts in a couple sets of 10 ball. I played DO with 4 games on wire going to 11 and lost 9/11.

The very next day, an unknown "to me" player ask me for the last 3. I was told his fargo was 670. Well, he turned out to be IMO, just as strong as Josh Roberts. Talk about being underrated. Oh, lol....the spot was dropped and quick. I still lost.

The strangers robustness was less than desired. Regardless though, that was the last time I matched up with someone and let their fargo be considered.......nope, nada...no more. Not gonna happen.

Jeff

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Congrats to both of you! How about some details on how the match went. Must have been some tense moments with that 7-6 result.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats to both of you! How about some details on how the match went. Must have been some tense moments with that 7-6 result.

Format and blow-by-blow-------stats is as good as it gets for us that couldn't see it live.

Jeff

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is EXACTLY why I ignore Fargo ratings when matching up unless the person has a TON of robustness.

At the Rocket city open, I had just beat Danny Smith and Josh Roberts in a couple sets of 10 ball. I played DO with 4 games on wire going to 11 and lost 9/11.

The very next day, an unknown "to me" player ask me for the last 3. I was told his fargo was 670. Well, he turned out to be IMO, just as strong as Josh Roberts. Talk about being underrated. Oh, lol....the spot was dropped and quick. I still lost.

The strangers robustness was less than desired. Regardless though, that was the last time I matched up with someone and let their fargo be considered.......nope, nada...no more. Not gonna happen.

Jeff

Yep. One time a guy asked me to gamble and we did. I played well and beat him.

He says:”you show me a ‘b’ rated player that can run three racks and I’ll show you a f***ed up handicap system.”

I said:”you show me a player that matches up based on a handicap system and I’ll show you a broke ass mf’er!”

Everybody thought it was funny but him. :D

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep. One time a guy asked me to gamble and we did. I played well and beat him.

He says:”you show me a ‘b’ rated player that can run three racks and I’ll show you a f***ed up handicap system.”

I said:”you show me a player that matches up based on a handicap system and I’ll show you a broke ass mf’er!”

Everybody thought it was funny but him. :D

So, so true.

Its funny now but, at the time I wasn't laughing. Some idiot had me thinking I could give him weight. He said "man, you just beat Josh and Danny, you got this chump". LOLOL.....boy was he wrong.

Four games into the set, I ask him to adjust and he GRINNED and said ok. But, the damage was done and I couldn't catch him.

After that set, well, I ask if he wanted to play another. He said "sure, for $1,000". Most of us had been playing cheap sets all day and night for two days straight (in between tournament matches) from $50 to $200 a set, with the exception of one set with DO, in which I obviously got weight.

Anyways, that a55hat wanted to jump straight from $50 a set to $1,000. Yeah right!

Fargo and gambling mixes like oil and water "sometimes".

I know a couple players that have fargo ratings in the 690's to 700ish that can't make a ball while gambling but, both of them will dazzle the crowd during tournaments or funnzies.

IMO, people that have really high fargo scores 750ish and up are always able to light somebody's a55 up regardless if tournament, gambling or funnzies.

At a certain level, it doesn't matter. All of them beyond that level are killers.

Jeff <<<<<<< Usually the victim!!!!!

OP:

Sorry going off topic sir.

Your son is very deserving of a very big ATTABOY from everyone.

Who knows, your son may be a future killer and another proud poppa may come on here because his son wws able to fo toe to toe with your son.

Ahhhhhh, to be young is great but, to be young and smart, well, that's a rare combination and it appears that your son meets that criteria.

Again, CONGRATULATIONS on a job well done to your son AND YOU!!!!

Jeff

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Best part was hill hill and Alex who plays with a glove, put on a second glove. Priceless. Great win and my respect goes out to Mr. Shaw. He handled it like a Gentleman and Professional.
And to Alex.
The Ocean State is a big Tourney. You showed up on your own. No Dad, no girl friend just yourself, as a competitive. As a friend, I couldn't be more proud of you.
Well done.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best part was hill hill and Alex who plays with a glove, put on a second glove. Priceless. Great win and my respect goes out to Mr. Shaw. He handled it like a Gentleman and Professional.
And to Alex.
The Ocean State is a big Tourney. You showed up on your own. No Dad, no girl friend just yourself, as a competitive. As a friend, I couldn't be more proud of you.
Well done.

Thanks Mike, and to everyone else in the thread :thumbup:

I have seen him put on two gloves at times because he plays lefty most of the time now, but is right-handed and his right-handed game is probably a bit stronger overall in stroke strength. Instead of switching gloves when he things he will use both hands, he just puts on a second one.

There was someone at the weekly tournament we played in that found that out, she was playing him lefty and did not realize he was not a lefty till he shot with his right hand even better ;)

As the movie line goes "Why are you smiling? Because there is something you don't know... I am not left handed."

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was not there during the match, did not know he won till he called me and a second later a friend of mine that was watching the stream texted me about it since the commentators were talking about the match.

The win was that Shaw was up 6-4 in a race to 7, it was going back and forth a bit, with a guy ranked 7 in the world now that is decent enough. Shaw scratched on the break, my son ran out, then broke and ran next game to make it hill hill, in the last game he made a 3-9 carom to win 3 in a row and become an instant celebrity LOL

This was on the round to get to the money so he sent Jayson home without any cash for the day.

Poolfiend

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Mike, and to everyone else in the thread :thumbup:

I have seen him put on two gloves at times because he plays lefty most of the time now, but is right-handed and his right-handed game is probably a bit stronger overall in stroke strength. Instead of switching gloves when he things he will use both hands, he just puts on a second one.

There was someone at the weekly tournament we played in that found that out, she was playing him lefty and did not realize he was not a lefty till he shot with his right hand even better ;)

As the movie line goes "Why are you smiling? Because there is something you don't know... I am not left handed."

Busting out some Princess Bride quotes? nice!