Chalkless Cue Tips - the Grip Tip.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

Rosco

Registered
I invented that in 1965.;)

I was carving tips out of big pink pencil erasers.
I did it dozens of times, they had a very short life.

Being 10 years old, I lacked the foresight to patent it.

Tom

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've read a few things on these as well recently - caught my attention. Worthy of a go for sure - especially considering how many things chalk affects - from ball skids to ball wear, shaft and cloth cleaning, and on and on. Surely there will be numerous products developed in this coming decade to put chalk up to the test and begin the next era of new and improved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I'm a sucker for new "innovative" products, so I ordered a pack to try. Why not.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm a sucker for new "innovative" products, so I ordered a pack to try. Why not.

Your username is Get A Grip and you got a Grip Tip?

Freddie <~~~ conspiracy theory

p.s. better put the smiley here :) and a winky there ;)

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
It doesn't say anything about where the tips fall on the hardness scale. That would be my first concern.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Your username is Get A Grip and you got a Grip Tip?

Freddie <~~~ conspiracy theory

p.s. better put the smiley here :) and a winky there ;)
Yeah, good catch. I'm always looking to get a better grip anyway I can. Now where can I find a Grip-Rack.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If someone wants to really invent something useful for tips...invent a good peel and stick. Johnnyt

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow.....how I hope this is a good product and works out.
I hope this idea takes over like a storm and in 10 years chalking will be a part of the past.
Let's get the competitors in there and we're on to something.
Just need to find out how hard those tips are and if it's ok to break with them too.
My my......imagine chalk industry gone, break cue industry gone, cloth cleaning products gone, cloth stays clean longer.....yipeeee.
Good times are ahead in the world of pool.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It doesn't say anything about where the tips fall on the hardness scale. That would be my first concern.

Actually, it does under the product info tab. 80-85A, whatever that is. It also says, "They are made to accommodate a moderate amount of Spin and English." I take that to mean that they would be nearly useless for me, but I'd like to hear independent reviews.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Actually, it does under the product info tab. 80-85A, whatever that is. It also says, "They are made to accommodate a moderate amount of Spin and English." I take that to mean that they would be nearly useless for me, but I'd like to hear independent reviews.
I've tested out the tips, and they do have a very soft and rubbery feel and hit. Also, the miscue limit is quite limiting ... only about 50% of what one would expect with a chalked leather tip. But I think their expected market is not serious pool players, but casual players with tables at home who might think chalk is dirty or inconvenient.

I honestly hope somedody can come out with a high-performance chalkless tip acceptable to serous pool players, but this product is far from that dream.

Isn't it a bit ridiculous that the material we use for pool tips really hasn't changed since tips were invented almost 200 years ago???

I personally have hope and faith that a good alternative to chalked leather will be found in our lifetime.

Regards,
Dave

Break and One

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very interesting concept. I hope Dr. Dave is right and this might get things on track for a new tip material. If his tests show it is meant for the more casual player I would believe it.

The optimism for this tip seems so surprising considering the wrath that has been unleashed on the predator revo shaft for leaving the standards of wood. As a newer player it seems odd for what pool players are willing to change and what not.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very interesting concept. I hope Dr. Dave is right and this might get things on track for a new tip material. If his tests show it is meant for the more casual player I would believe it.

The optimism for this tip seems so surprising considering the wrath that has been unleashed on the predator revo shaft for leaving the standards of wood. As a newer player it seems odd for what pool players are willing to change and what not.

This tip can be trimmed down to any size and customized to the player's preference.
Regardless of material or innovation, the equipment conforms to the player.

The Revo is one-size fits all, and Predator tries to push the lie that the player should be able to adapt to that one size because it's the one size they deemed perfect for low deflection....yet they have made 4 different prototypes in size and weight variations for professional player Darren Appleton while he finds the right one for him (all verified from his Facebook account comments).

The wrath the Revo has faced is on Predator not the pool playing community.

(And on a side note, Appleton still plays with wood shafts in competition despite having multiple variations of the Revo)

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pro tech billiards sold!!!!!

This just in - Kamui has just purchased Pro Tech Billiards LLC and the rights and patents to Get A Grip Tips outright in an all cash deal totalling $10,000,000. Kamui spokesperson says they plan to shelf the product for between 7-10 years. Stock holders approved the deal once they learned Kamui will recoup it's full 10 million dollar investment within the first 6 months thru chalk sales.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe these tips will only work on a clean table with clean balls and where the other cues are equally tipped. If you use this tip in a pool room where other players are using chalked leather tips, the fine dust from the cue ball will be transferred to the rubber tip, coating the clean sticky surface of the rubber tip and rendering it useless. This is just a thought that I am envisioning in my head. I don't know this for certain. I guess we'll soon see.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Someone back in the 1940's (not sure of the year)invented a carb that would get 50 MPG. Oil company bought it and it's still on the shelve somewhere. Johnnyt

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tested out the tips, and they do have a very soft and rubbery feel and hit. Also, the miscue limit is quite limiting ... only about 50% of what one would expect with a chalked leather tip. But I think their expected market is not serious pool players, but casual players with tables at home who might think chalk is dirty or inconvenient.

I honestly hope somedody can come out with a high-performance chalkless tip acceptable to serous pool players, but this product is far from that dream.

Isn't it a bit ridiculous that the material we use for pool tips really hasn't changed since tips were invented almost 200 years ago???

I personally have hope and faith that a good alternative to chalked leather will be found in our lifetime.

Regards,
Dave

Great input as usual, in regards to the last comment, we should wonder about what kind of a game will it be when it's finally all synthetic, what kind of impact will such evolution have on everything related to it...
It's indeed possible we will live to see the day, but somehow I'm not sure I would like to...
Petros

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Save the cows!!!!!!!!

11963966.jpg

After all, it's for the children!!!!!!!

Jeff Livingston

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!

I hope nobody fell for this "trickery", it was just an internet joke being passed around. SNOPES gave it 4 Pinocchio's. So, please, pay no attention to this and go buy more chalk ;)