• Wood, not low deflection

Votes: 45 37.2%
  • Something else

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Currently, what kind of shaft do you have in the playing cue you use most often? If you have more than one shaft, pick the one you use more.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Studies prove that as of 8:18pm real time FIFTY percent of pool players use wood, low deflection shafts.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play all rotation games with cf shaft.

I play 14.1 with ld wood.

I play 1hole and banks with regular wood.

I play all games about thensame amount other than 1hole.

Hard to say,

Jeff

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use whatever shaft comes with the cue I buy- all of them are just straight grain maple shafts- no low deflection, no nothing but regular old wood shafts, I prefer ivory or Juma ferrules, and I prefer Ultraskin soft tips. I own 5 customs in the $1,000 ++ range and three custom sneaky. i find with this set up that most of these cues play very much the same and I have no issue or no excuse if i miss a shot- NEVER blame the cue or the shaft set up- NEVER. I do not see any need to go beyond what worked for the past legends of this grand game.I seem to do very well with traditional equipment.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz HybridPro(original version). Wood with cf tube in the middle. Sorta LD, feels like an old-school maple with a tad less deflection.

BrianaBrown13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Revo fitted to my Exceed, but have 2 Mezz HP2 shafts as backups. Recently had to use a backup to finish a tournament, very little adjustment needed to be made. About the only real difference is the touch on draw shots. Revo can get out of hand if the adrenaline is pumping.

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
regular ol maple

I'm using the shaft that came with my custom Joss in 1994. Maybe one day I'll try a CF or LS shaft or maybe I won't.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Been using the Unknown Maker carbon break shaft and playing shafts for three months now.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use whatever shaft comes with the cue I buy- all of them are just straight grain maple shafts- no low deflection, no nothing but regular old wood shafts, I prefer ivory or Juma ferrules, and I prefer Ultraskin soft tips. I own 5 customs in the $1,000 ++ range and three custom sneaky. i find with this set up that most of these cues play very much the same and I have no issue or no excuse if i miss a shot- NEVER blame the cue or the shaft set up- NEVER. I do not see any need to go beyond what worked for the past legends of this grand game.I seem to do very well with traditional equipment.

With your outlook, why use a tip or even chalk?

The legends you speak of used "new" equipment compared to the legends before them.

No different than when the very first person said "hey, lets try putting this little thing (known as a tip today) on our cues".....

Everything you have in your case was "new and improved" at some point.....and looked down upon by someone else at the time..........

Why use lights?

Lol.....go back far enough and the list is almost endless and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like it any more than I would.

Jeff

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I have been using an OB Original Classic XL shaft fir the last two years, on my JD Custom Cue. The ferrule has been sanded down to 12.45 MM from 13.25. Every time I shoot a power draw shot I expect the end of the shaft to explode.

Today I won a Meucci Carbon Pro 30", 12.75MM shaft on E-bay. It will be my new shaft when I get it. So I voted cf.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With your outlook, why use a tip or even chalk?

The legends you speak of used "new" equipment compared to the legends before them.

No different than when the very first person said "hey, lets try putting this little thing (known as a tip today) on our cues".....

Everything you have in your case was "new and improved" at some point.....and looked down upon by someone else at the time..........

Why use lights?

Lol.....go back far enough and the list is almost endless and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like it any more than I would.

Jeff

Well- I think you misunderstood- my comments were not an "outlook" I was just saying what I am comfortable using- I do NOT knock any other shaft out there today- they might be great! I just do not feel a need to experiment- I am very satisfied with my game just the way it is today- so why change? I was just speaking for myself. You gotta relax man!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well- I think you misunderstood- my comments were not an "outlook" I was just saying what I am comfortable using- I do NOT knock any other shaft out there today- they might be great! I just do not feel a need to experiment- I am very satisfied with my game just the way it is today- so why change? I was just speaking for myself. You gotta relax man!

My bad. I thought you was saying you wasn't open to modern equipment because the legends used the same.

That very subject came up with a couple of my old friends this past weekend. Both of them use old growth maple shafts on very high-end custom butts.

One of them said that since Willie and the other legends from his time used similar equipment, he didn't feel a need to change since he was ok with his game today.

The thing is, one of them plays way better with my cue than he does with any of his cues. Yet, he refuses to buy and use modern equipment because then.....lol....he may not be thought of as old school.

I don't understand why some people say they use this or that and then say they are old school like being old school in pool is an accomplishment.

As a pool player, I will always use what ever I can to give me an edge regardless of what some legend from 50+ years ago used.

I can play just as well with a player's brand maple shaft as I can an old growth high-end shaft or a carbon fiber shaft as far as that goes. The thing is, like most of the pros of today and a huge portion of the amateurs, I'm more consistent with modern equipment. It's not really that "I'm" more consistent, it's the fact that moder equipment is more consistent and that allows me to be more consistent.

I'm pretty sure every single person on this site will agree that more consistent is better. It doesn't mean they'll play at a higher level but it does mean they'll play their best more often.

I do however understand what and why you said what you said now.

Jeff

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Predator 314-3 on all my cues. I believe in getting comfortable
with one shaft

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I voted wood LD but someone said my McDermott G-Core is not an LD shaft.

Can anyone honestly say that they have gotten better switching to a CF shaft? If they have less deflection then you must change what you are doing vs the shaft you took off of your cue I would guess. I have several cues, a couple G-Core shafts, a 314-2, and a few wood shafts from different builders, I use them all and I dont really need to change my aim using english, what gives??

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
One piece maple ultra-low deflection (custom 10mm hollow tip with conical taper).

After using this shaft for 20 or so years the thought of needing to adapt to something else terrifies me. A "normal" sized tip looks like a baseball bat and seems to squirt into the next zip code.

pj
chgo