Weighing my options - Reproduction Gold Crown Castings and Feet

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems there is some difficulty in powder coating the pocket castings and feet from my Gold Crown 1. The castings keep out gassing causing small bubbling in the finish. Apparently, this is a common issue when powder coating cast material. I've considered plating and anodizing but both processes are quite expensive and anodizing cast material comes with its own challenges and pitfalls. If my powder coater is unable to achieve an acceptable finish, I am leaning toward the reproduction offerings below. Has anyone had any experience with these reproduction parts? Both are considerably more cost effective than replating my originals.

https://www.classicbilliards.net/an...s/chrome-finish-replacement-leg-levelers.html
49086667463_58d9ebf13a_c.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Billiard-P...rentrq:807c06b516e0a4b77cd14959ffefc5f0|iid:1
49086668093_11a76cb1f7_c.jpg

Last edited:

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And since I’m having the same problem, does anybody have another suggestion for refinishing the metal parts on a GC 1?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I seems there is some difficulty in powder coating the pocket castings and feet from my Gold Crown 1. The castings keep out gassing causing small bubbling in the finish. Apparently, this is a common issue when powder coating cast material. I've considered plating and anodizing but both processes are quite expensive and anodizing cast material comes with its own challenges and pitfalls. If my powder coater is unable to achieve an acceptable finish, I am leaning toward the reproduction offerings below. Has anyone had any experience with these reproduction parts? Both are considerably more cost effective than replating my originals.

https://www.classicbilliards.net/an...s/chrome-finish-replacement-leg-levelers.html
49086667463_58d9ebf13a_c.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Billiard-P...rentrq:807c06b516e0a4b77cd14959ffefc5f0|iid:1
49086668093_11a76cb1f7_c.jpg

I have used them, would recommend them and get them from the same place both of them come from. I hope they do, but, let me know your originals don't work out.

Trent from Toledo:thumbup:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
And since I’m having the same problem, does anybody have another suggestion for refinishing the metal parts on a GC 1?

The problem is you are using a smooth finish powder coating. I always use the "Vein" Style powdercoating because it has a textured finish and allows the applicator to build it up. If there is a small amount of out gassing it wont be noticeable because of the texture.

Trent from Toledo

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
The problem is you are using a smooth finish powder coating. I always use the "Vein" Style powdercoating because it has a textured finish and allows the applicator to build it up. If there is a small amount of out gassing it wont be noticeable because of the texture.

Trent from Toledo

Your are correct, Trent.

I am going to use “Antique Silver Vein” on my castings.

Those reproductions look good, also.

Nice suggestions.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used them, would recommend them and get them from the same place both of them come from. I hope they do, but, let me know your originals don't work out.

Trent from Toledo:thumbup:

Thanks Trent. Are the castings plug and play for a GC1?

So you are saying the pocket castings and feet are manufactured by the same company?

How would you rate the quality vs OEM parts?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Thanks Trent. Are the castings plug and play for a GC1?

So you are saying the pocket castings and feet are manufactured by the same company?

How would you rate the quality vs OEM parts?

They come from the same source. I have an account with them. They are nice. Not as good as the originals, but, good replacements.

Trent from Toledo

Did someone ask you something? No.Not being mean, but, I don't need any confirmation from you about anything.

Your are correct, Trent.

I am going to use “Antique Silver Vein” on my castings.

Those reproductions look good, also.

Nice suggestions.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I was able to polish my GCI feet on my lathe, they turned out fantastic, of course my table was also a privately owned and well cared for its whole life. Since they are aluminum and not coated this should be an option, I would guess the pocket castings would turn out the same unless I am missing something. A nice polish job finishing up with Mothers/Flitz aluminum polish should restore them. They also make polishing tool accessories that will work in a cordless drill so it doesnt require so much elbow grease.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was able to polish my GCI feet on my lathe, they turned out fantastic, of course my table was also a privately owned and well cared for its whole life. Since they are aluminum and not coated this should be an option, I would guess the pocket castings would turn out the same unless I am missing something. A nice polish job finishing up with Mothers/Flitz aluminum polish should restore them. They also make polishing tool accessories that will work in a cordless drill so it doesnt require so much elbow grease.

Thanks for your reply.

My feet are actually a cast steel alloy of some sort and were copper then nickel plated. They were rather pitted when I got the table. The cost to fill the pitting and replace was also going to be north of $600. Pocket's feet are cast aluminum so that is an option for him. As for the pocket castings, yes, they can be polished but would need some sort of finish applied so they do not oxidize, the most common being clear anodize. Another alternative would be automotive clear coat. I inquired about getting the pocket castings polished and anodized. The cost was going to be $600-$800 (most of it in the polishing) and was told it is a total crap shoot due to aged cast aluminum tends to have a rainbow finish once anodized. All in, definitely more than I was wanting to spend.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I have only used the pocket castings on a GC3 and
I wanted to be thorough about you using them on
a GC1. Jack Z sent me a pic and some info about
needing to grind off a small part of the casting on
the bottom side. Here is the picture. Knowing you
Rexus31 and your skills, that you will have no
problem using a grinder!! Let me know if you need either items.

Here is the pic

Attachments

• d3d95a120ef14bf99e512390e96df923e9554877-1.jpg
    d3d95a120ef14bf99e512390e96df923e9554877-1.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 334

thebaby

Jack of all trades
Silver Member
My solution

Scott , Me and you have talked about what I have done to my castings . I had it all polished out . And yes it ain't cheap , but that was the look I wanted. Attached are 3 photos . 1st one shows the unfinished castings . The 2nd one shows the polished castings . And then the 3rd picture shows a product the polisher told me to use on all the castings to preserve the look. I'm very satisfied with my progress . I gave myself about 4 months to restore my GC1. I have talked to few people around the country for advice , I'm very thankful for the help.
P.S. I also had the trim on all the rails polished out .
All of it came out very nice. Scott , I'm sorry your having those issues . Can you have them dipped maybe ?
Frank

Attachments

• unfinished.jpg
    unfinished.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 316
  • polished.jpg
    polished.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 314
  • protective coating.jpg
    protective coating.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

dlvh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Boy Frank,

Did those ever polish out beautifully! I did mine by hand, and they turned out fairly good but a shop that specializes in doing this can make them look nearly chrome-like, like yours did. I'd like to see some pics of your table when you get her finished, if she's not done already.

Scott...Sorry to read about all the difficulties that you are having here with your castings and feet, but I'm certain it will all work in the end. I wish you the best with whatever decision that you decide to take. I can imagine though that it's getting quite frustrating, but keep in mind how well that table will look and play, when this is all behind you...And underneath that Brunswick-Like Light when you finish that!

David

Scott , Me and you have talked about what I have done to my castings . I had it all polished out . And yes it ain't cheap , but that was the look I wanted. Attached are 3 photos . 1st one shows the unfinished castings . The 2nd one shows the polished castings . And then the 3rd picture shows a product the polisher told me to use on all the castings to preserve the look. I'm very satisfied with my progress . I gave myself about 4 months to restore my GC1. I have talked to few people around the country for advice , I'm very thankful for the help.
P.S. I also had the trim on all the rails polished out .
All of it came out very nice. I'm very satisfied.
Frank

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a 2 pound can of flitz and went to work with a drill on the feet and, pocket castings and they look a lot nicer than what they looked like after being in a pool hall for many years! I am not done yet, but you guys in Cali should have no problem betting them done as more product can be found out there versus where I'm at in Podunk! but here is a little secret for you! you guys are in orange county, if you look around and up in the Fontana area look for someone that polishes out truck aluminum wheels or some of the tanker trucks that roll down I5 all of those get polished out by crews of guys that do that for a living! If I still lived there I could dial that in for you but I have been gone now for 7 years, but there are I would imaging a few shops out in Fontana that sells the rouge and polishing wheels and buffer you would use to do the work.
It isn't all that hard to do, it is messy but You Can Do it! Look for the rouge that is green and liquified to pour of and rub out. Like I said I cant find that stuff out here as it isn't that big of a deal out here but there in So Cal you should be able to find someone!

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I got good results from this round or powder coating so this chapter is closed. Thanks for the input, everyone.

49187618258_a2955aee33_c.jpg

49188115421_98e5d4fbb8_c.jpg