Where are you measuring?
Old
  (#1)
Kobachi
Scarred but Smarter
Kobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Where are you measuring? - 03-03-2019, 01:45 PM

Iím trying to get motivated to sell some cues and Iíve got my calipers and scale etc to give an accurate description.

My question is, when giving the diameter of the shafts, where do you measure? The tip is obvious but thatís not exactly where the shaft will be gliding through your bridge. Do you measure from about 6-8Ē down? That would make more sense to me.

Whatís the consensus? Thanks for your opinions in advance.

Primary: Alex Brick

"I'm not superstitious, but I'm a little stitious" Michael Scott - Dundler Mifflin Paper Company

"Sure-Lock"

Old
  (#2)
jimmyco
NRA4Life
jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-03-2019, 01:53 PM

I measure the maple immediately below the ferrule.

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#3)
Kobachi
Scarred but Smarter
Kobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond repute

03-03-2019, 01:59 PM

Thank you Jimmy that makes sense.

Thatís probably where Iíll measure to be safe.

"I'm not superstitious, but I'm a little stitious" Michael Scott - Dundler Mifflin Paper Company

"Sure-Lock"

Old
  (#4)
$TAKE HOR$E
champagne - campaign
$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute

03-03-2019, 02:02 PM

If everything is done properly you should be able to measure the ferrule below the tip. Far to many times do people sand a ferrule to much and theres a difference between the tip of the ferrule and where the ferrule meets the shaft. Same thing happens when repairmen or a not so smart cuemaker cleans a shaft. They will sand (which is the worst thing you can do to a shaft) up to the ferrule and it develops the q tip look. A good rule of thumb is to measure both places and if there is a substantial difference, within the length of the ferrule, go off the base of the ferrule where it meets the shaft. Thats just another reason the ferrule really has no place on a shaft, other than looks and the fact if its ivory its a selling point.

Don't be afraid to say what everyone else is thinking, they will talk about you forever
~ unknown

The human brain can subjugate anything, even real pain
~ Bruce Lee

Ya'll warned me, but I didnt listen.....
~ Death Ball

I'm not surprised motherf*%$#@'s
~ Nate Diaz

WWW.MACECUES.COM

DOOM
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=463005

Old
  (#5)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
03-03-2019, 02:04 PM

I'd say tip/ ferrule diameter is the primary measure.

Some folks may be interested in the diameter at the joint too.

Taper is a tougher one to measure, but you can wrap a piece of string around the ferrule and then slide it toward the joint to see where it begins to increase. A strip of paper can surely be used too.

If it was I listing, I'd offer the tip/ joint measure as a starter and let potential buyer request and specific measures outside that.

Old
  (#6)
Kobachi
Scarred but Smarter

03-03-2019, 02:04 PM

Thanks Stake, I know youíre a vet here as well and appreciate the help.

"Sure-Lock"

Old
  (#7)
Kobachi
Scarred but Smarter

03-03-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
I'd say tip/ ferrule diameter is the primary measure.

Some folks may be interested in the diameter at the joint too.

Taper is a tougher one to measure, but you can wrap a piece of string around the ferrule and then slide it toward the joint to see where it begins to increase. A strip of paper can surely be used too.

If it was I listing, I'd offer the tip/ joint measure as a starter and let potential buyer request and specific measures outside that.
Good point BB. More info the better. Canít hurt. Unless I regret selling, then it might sting a bit...

"Sure-Lock"

Old
  (#8)
WildWing
AzB Silver Member
WildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond repute

03-03-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobachi View Post
Iím trying to get motivated to sell some cues and Iíve got my calipers and scale etc to give an accurate description.

My question is, when giving the diameter of the shafts, where do you measure? The tip is obvious but thatís not exactly where the shaft will be gliding through your bridge. Do you measure from about 6-8Ē down? That would make more sense to me.

Whatís the consensus? Thanks for your opinions in advance.
You measure carefully, right below the ferrule, but that's not your only task. You then describe the taper of the shaft, and provide pictures, if possible. Personally, I would describe the taper as very long, pro taper, conical, etc, and give a couple measurements, about ten and maybe fifteen inches down. Also, if a conical taper, I would definitely say that, as it's a bit unusual, and give the same measurement.

Definitely give the measurement at the joint. Someone interested may also be interested in using the shafts on other cues. And give the measurements in both thousands of an inch, and also millimeters. Cue buyers are fussy.

And, by the way, if the shaft is a bit oval, because of uneven hand sanding, you don't sell it at all. That happens with a lot of shafts. Your micrometer is your best friend.

All the best,
WW

Old
  (#9)
Kobachi
Scarred but Smarter

03-03-2019, 02:21 PM

WW, good stuff. Thank you. Take the time and give multiple measurements. And that makes sense about the joint diameter in case they want to share the shafts w other butts. ��

"Sure-Lock"

Old
  (#10)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

03-03-2019, 02:47 PM

Ferrule is enough 8 inches down you may run into the taper

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Old
  (#11)
ideologist
I don't never exaggerate
ideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond repute

03-03-2019, 02:57 PM

Measure the tip/ferrule. A lot of guys have turned the ferrules down through cleaning and sanding. Measure the tip diameter and other places if there are issues

Anything else will get the cue sent back to you.

If the shaft is thinner than the ferrule, disclose that also.

Make sure you check your references before you buy on this site. Even a mod here engages in bad business!

Old
  (#12)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

03-04-2019, 04:20 AM

The key components of shaft measurement from a players standpoint would extend the first 14 inches of the shaft down from the base of the ferrule on the wood shaft itself - they are interested in tip diameter and shaft taper; so I suggest measuring the shaft a the base of the ferrule, seven inches down from there and also 14 inches down from your first measurement. This will give a true player a good feel for the basic tip diameter as well as the taper on that shaft, which, most times, is just as important for playability to a skilled cueist. Also from an "owner' standpoint- measure the shaft diameter at the base of the shaft collar where it meets the cue butt, someone may want to interchange that shaft on other cues with the same joint screw and they want to understand how the facings match up.

As a very experienced player and cue collector, I can tell you that I have learned the hard way to really understand the shaft taper aspect on an advertised cue, because it can vary so much from the actual tip diameter that some shafts are unplayable when received due to huge variances in shaft tapers. If one receives a shaft that is lacking in desired taper- you can have it turned down to your own specs, but just like a too well done steak, a shaft that is too thin somewhere in those first 14 inches is useless if someone requires a thicker taper in that cueing area.

Last edited by mikemosconi; 03-04-2019 at 04:29 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: