Five weeks to go

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 5.49.55 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 5.49.55 AM.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 987

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know it's a lot to ask, but it would be interesting to me, Mike, if FargoRate had an average tournament difficulty rating based on the players' Fargo rating.

It would interesting to compare world championships, major international tournaments, and the major US tournaments to see which drew the strongest competition.

There is always talk of the US Open being more difficult to win than a World Championship and vice versa. This would help navigate that narrative and make sense of realistic facts vs. people's perspective.

Love the system and keep up the good work.

-Ben

Last edited:

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how many paid entries thus far??

I don't think the US Open 9b had problems filling out a 128 player field last yr.

I don't expect it to be any different this yr. Just late to enter..

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't think the US Open 9b had problems filling out a 128 player field last yr.

78 now. Max is 160.

I suspect those doing international travel are at the mercy of papers being stamped. For instance all five players from China went on the list this week.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know it's a lot to ask, but it would be interesting to me, Mike, if FargoRate had an average tournament difficulty rating based on the players' Fargo rating.

It would interesting to compare world championships, major international tournaments, and the major US tournaments to see which drew the strongest competition.

There is always talk of the US Open being more difficult to win than a World Championship and vice versa. This would help navigate that narrative and make sense of realistic facts vs. people's perspective.

-Ben

Thanks Ben. Yes that's a good idea. We'll have to think of a sensible measure.

I recall last year we compared World 9-Ball and US Open and found the fields pretty comparable. It was something like top 50 at Qatar went down to 773 and top 50 at US Open went down to 768--or something like that...

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

-Ben

That would be very interesting...historically, I feel the US Open was tougher to win...
...then when Hearn got involved in World 9-ball, it started to look just as tough.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Ben. Yes that's a good idea. We'll have to think of a sensible measure. ...
One way is to take the Nth player's rating where N of the field get prize money. "You have to play like a 730 to expect money in that field."

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One way is to take the Nth player's rating where N of the field get prize money. "You have to play like a 730 to expect money in that field."

I can see being interested in two different things:

(1) how strong is the field?
(2) how prestigious is winning the tournament?

The second one depends on (1) but it also depends on how good the tournament format is at ordering players by performance.

For instance you can have a race-to-3 single elimination tournament amongst the top 100 pool players, and it can easily be won by a middle of the pack player. Change it to a race to 17 and the cream (by performance) will rise to the top.

The common formats,: double elimination groups feeding half the players into a single-elimination race-to-11 final stage (World 9-Ball, Eurotour) double elimination (US Open) differ on this measure. And the quality of both formats (by measure (2) above) would benefit from seeding--something that should be done at this level.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Field is almost half full 160 max this year

Approved and Verified Entrants

# Player Name Country
1 Darren Appleton England
2 Johnny Archer USA
3 Cheng, Yu Hsuan (Kevin) Taiwan, ROC
4 Corey Deuel USA
5 Allen Hopkins USA
6 Mika Immonen Finland
7 Jeremy Jones USA
8 Tommy Kennedy USA
9 Rodney Morris USA
10 Gabe Owen USA
11 Alex Pagulayan Canada
12 Ralf Souquet Germany
13 John Schmidt USA
14 Earl Strickland USA
15 Shane Van Boening USA
16 Mark Gessner USA
17 Matt Krah USA
18 Geronimo Weissenberger Germany
19 Maksim Dudanets Russia
20 Randy Labonte USA
21 Frankie Hernandez USA
22 Evan Lunda USA
23 Warren Kiamco Philippines
24 John Cook USA
25 Chris Pyle USA
26 Chang, Yu-Lung Taiwan, ROC
27 Ko, Pin-Yi Taiwan, ROC
28 Ko, Ping-Chung Taiwan, ROC
29 Hsu, Kai-Lun Taiwan, ROC
30 Lo, Li-Wen Taiwan, ROC
31 Richard Kapela USA
32 Dennis Orcullo Philippines
33 Kenny Willis USA
34 Brian Parks USA
35 Robert Goddard USA
36 Brian Mann USA
37 Albin Ouschan Austria
38 Petri Makkonen Finland
39 Michael Yednak USA
40 Dalibor Nikolin Serbia
41 Milos Verkic Serbia
42 Niels Feijen Denmark
43 Tim De Ruyter Netherlands
44 Greg Sparkman USA
45 Yuichi Inagawa Japan
46 Naoyuki Oi Japan
47 Radislaw Babica Poland
48 Phillip Rangel USA
49 Denis Grabe Estonia
50 Casper Matikainen Finland
51 Juha Mallinen Finland
52 Skyler Woodward USA
53 William Lee Collins USA
54 Alex Kazakis Greece
55 Joey Cicero Canada
56 Bradley Shearer USA
57 Jani Siekkinen Finland
58 Marc Bijsterbosch Netherlands
59 Justin Bergman USA
60 Yukio Akagariyama Japan
61 Nick Malaj Greece
62 Steve Fleming USA
63 Donnie Mills USA
64 Devin Poteet USA
65 Chris Robinson-Reinhold USA
66 John Morra Canada
67 Elias Patrikios USA
68 Can Salim Germany
69 Nick van den Berg Netherlands
70 Dang Jinhu China
71 Wu Jiaqing China
72 Liu Haitao China
73 Chu Bingjie China
74 Han Haoxiang China
75 Jimmy Gassett USA
76 Marc Vidal Spain
77 David Alcaide Bermudez Spain
78 Francisco Sanchez Ruiz Spain

Jerry Forsyth

I have watched all of the top 100 play except for one guy of whom I have never heard. The #3 guy, from the Philippines, named James Zoren. Has anyone seen him play? Perhaps he has played in the past under another name?

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member
I have watched all of the top 100 play except for one guy of whom I have never heard. The #3 guy, from the Philippines, named James Zoren. Has anyone seen him play? Perhaps he has played in the past under another name?

"Dodong Diamond"

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He goes by just James Aranas they call him Dodong Diamond he has just left the states like last week.

He plays great, he played in several events while he was here the last few months.

After watching him play in several events i think his #3 rating is off a little he's more like a top 20-30 player imo

He came in 2nd at The Don Coats Memorial last month lost to Sky in the finals

21169018_500734110285667_37214548_o (1).jpg

Last edited:

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

We wrote this facebook "note" about him last month.

Attachments

• zoren.png
    zoren.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 362