Interesting shot from AZB's Tin Man

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, nice shot! I had to watch it a bunch of times to figure out how he did it. I've never seen anything like it.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Mr Page....can you download it to YouTube?
...can’t get it on FB
Thanx

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, if he didn't say that the eight would hit the seven and the cue ball would hit the eight twice and the eight ball brushed the rail before it went in, he loses for not calling the shot:p

He played the cue ball with a lot of right side spin so it hit the eight, went to the cushion and then spun into the eight again which was waiting for it. I think the hard part is judging how full to shoot the eight onto the blocker. You might want it to move towards the cushion before it is struck a second time. Or not.

I've seen similar double kiss shots but not when the balls are nearly straight in.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven’t seen that before. I’ve done similar things when there is a ball to stop it, but not like that and I don’t think I would have thought of that shot! Great shot!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Looks like some sort of double kiss but I didn’t know the shot
Yes, you can see from the shallow rebound angle of the CB that the 8 ball part of the shot is rail first. Ball-rail-ball.

Looking forward to trying this - but not sure how useful it is...

pj
chgo

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very cool. It’s stuff like this that makes AZ fun. Of course ask me again after I’ve set this shot up twenty times and I can’t make it...

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, you can see from the shallow rebound angle of the CB that the 8 ball part of the shot is rail first. Ball-rail-ball.

Looking forward to trying this - but not sure how useful it is...

pj
chgo
Are we sure it's not one of those trick shots where you wet the contact point of the the 8 and the other ball?
Ahh..disregard what I just wrote. I thought about it a little longer. No trick shot..top right CB.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Are we sure it's not one of those trick shots where you wet the contact point of the the 8 and the other ball?
Ahh..disregard what I just wrote. I thought about it a little longer. No trick shot..top right CB.
Interesting thought, though... I wonder if you could do it by hitting the 8 full enough to rebound a little and be “nursed” in by the CB’s second kiss (with follow) without the CB hitting the rail.

pj
chgo

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting thought, though... I wonder if you could do it by hitting the 8 full enough to rebound a little and be “nursed” in by the CB’s second kiss (with follow) without the CB hitting the rail.

pj
chgo
Possible. I've been trying this shot with top inside and contacting the 8 at different points every time. Nothing...not even close. The 8 goes nowhere near the pocket.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey guys! Glad some of you enjoyed this one. There’s almost zero practical application, but I love tinkering around on the table.

First of all, the shot requires the right equipment. The rails and balls have to be worn/gritty to some extent. I’ve played this shot on my home table which has slick cloth and it wouldn’t go from that distance. I’d have to have the two balls an inch from the corner. The problem is that you don’t get enough grab from the cue ball to really move the 8, it just slides and rubs the side of the ball slightly. So on most tables I have to set them up close to the pocket and strike the ball very accurately.

But on the equipment last night the cue ball really grabbed and was putting much more pace on the 8 ball than I can normally generate. Mike suggested I back it up from the corner and sure enough we got it close to the middle diamond. In fact on the attempt we recorded the 8 ball was moving fast enough and with enough accuracy we probably could’ve had it another diamond from the corner. We only did two takes, this was just something we found fun and wanted to share.

Maybe I should start with a ball hanging in the pocket, then the combo would make the hanger, the 8 would make the middle ball, and the cue ball could go four rails with inside to make the 8 ball? Hmmm. Something to try today... ;)

PS- to aim just set up like you want to make it rail first with inside, then adjust just slightly so you’ll tickle the edge of the ball going in. Just enough to get the second ball moving.

Last edited:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys! Glad some of you enjoyed this one. There’s almost zero practical application, but I love tinkering around on the table.

First of all, the shot requires the right equipment. The rails and balls have to be worn/gritty to some extent. I’ve played this shot on my home table which has slick cloth and it wouldn’t go from that distance. I’d have to have the two balls an inch from the corner. The problem is that you don’t get enough grab from the cue ball to really move the 8, it just slides and rubs the side of the ball slightly. So on most tables I have to set them up close to the pocket and strike the ball very accurately.

But on the equipment last night the cue ball really grabbed and was putting much more pace on the 8 ball than I can normally generate. Mike suggested I back it up from the corner and sure enough we got it close to the middle diamond. In fact on the attempt we recorded the 8 ball was moving fast enough and with enough accuracy we probably could’ve had it another diamond from the corner. We only did two takes, this was just something we found fun and wanted to share.

Maybe I should start with a ball hanging in the pocket, then the combo would make the hanger, the 8 would make the middle ball, and the cue ball could go four rails with inside to make the 8 ball? Hmmm. Something to try today... ;)

PS- to aim just set up like you want to make it rail first with inside, then adjust just slightly so you’ll tickle the edge of the ball going in. Just enough to get the second ball moving.

Nice shot. Thanks for the info.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last edited: