POCKET HANGERS … Everything You Need to Know

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just posted a new video on YouTube that demonstrates everything you need to know about dealing with and taking best advantage of a pocket “hanger.” Here it is:

Topics covered include:
- good things about hangers (0:06)
- things that can go wrong with hangers (0:40)
- avoiding a scratch (1:25)
- driving a ball through a hanger (2:24)
- cue ball control (3:16)
- inside follow vs. outside draw (4:25)
- cue ball reference directions (5:28)
- speed/cut/spin effects (7:05)
- game-situation examples (9:13)
- useful target drills (10:19)
- shooting along a rail (10:44)
- shooting along a diagonal (13:02)

This video is a little on the longer side (15 minutes), but the material in presented very concisely (but still completely). Multiple viewings (and/or pause/rewind cycles) might be required for everything to sink in.

Thanks to "Tin Man" for suggesting this video topic along with some good ideas.

Please let me know what you think, and let me know if anything is unclear or if you have any questions.

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love to see some one-pocket extractions in slow mo.

Hehe. That would be cool...and a good excuse for you to get a diamond for your lab!

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure if you vid mentions this- but for the game of 8 ball- pockethagers serve 2 very, very important functions: 1. you can leave them for your last ball prior to the 8 when they are blocking an opponents ball from being pocketed easily and 2. you can save them when you are attempting to break up any clusters in your grouping as an "out" ball in case you end up without another shot in breaking up you own clusters.

In 14.1 the hanger is often the "savior" when attempting to break up other clusters- esp. behind the stack- occurs at least once every 4 or 5 racks of 14.1 - maybe even more often.

Every shortstop that plays either game needs to understand and apply the use of hangars religiously for the above stated situations- it is the essence of rack run outs with clustered balls when available.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
... duplicate post deleted ...

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Love to see some one-pocket extractions in slow mo.
I haven't done any pocket-extraction videos, but I have done the following interesting one-pocket shots in slow-mo:

HSV B.7 – One-pocket frozen-ball spot shot
HSV B.11 – One-pocket “beat-the-kiss” frozen rail cross-corner bank shot
HSV B.22 – One-pocket double kiss off the rail kick shot

Check them out.

Hehe. That would be cool...and a good excuse for you to get a diamond for your lab!
My "lab" is my home basement, and it doesn't really have enough room for another table, and I am kind of attached to the Olhaussen I have since it was previously owned by the late, great Robert Byrne. However, a local pool hall just installed a new Diamond, so I can film some stuff there when I am so inclined.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not sure if you vid mentions this- but for the game of 8 ball- pockethagers serve 2 very, very important functions: 1. you can leave them for your last ball prior to the 8 when they are blocking an opponents ball from being pocketed easily and 2. you can save them when you are attempting to break up any clusters in your grouping as an "out" ball in case you end up without another shot in breaking up you own clusters.

In 14.1 the hanger is often the "savior" when attempting to break up other clusters- esp. behind the stack- occurs at least once every 4 or 5 racks of 14.1 - maybe even more often.

Every shortstop that plays either game needs to understand and apply the use of hangars religiously for the above stated situations- it is the essence of rack run outs with clustered balls when available.
All of these things are demonstrated and described in the video (plus a lot more). Check it out. And let me know if you still think anything is missing. Also let me know if you learn anything new from the video.

Thanks,
Dave

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Terrific video and thanks for including the beginning section on avoiding scratching Without exaggeration I think that APA level 2s 3s and quite a few 4s and even some 5s could improve their game a half level just by learning the techniques you show in the first 2 minutes.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Terrific video and thanks for including the beginning section on avoiding scratching
Thank you ... and you're welcome. I aim to swerve. :grin-square:

Without exaggeration I think that APA level 2s 3s and quite a few 4s and even some 5s could improve their game a half level just by learning the techniques you show in the first 2 minutes.
Just imagine what they could learn if they watched the whole thing! We could have a bunch of "APA world beaters" around before you know it. :D

Regards,
Dave

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cmon, dr. You don't need to convince us you need a mobile filming rig. Just put it on the account...whatever you need.

:D
I haven't done any pocket-extraction videos, but I have done the following interesting one-pocket shots in slow-mo:

HSV B.7 – One-pocket frozen-ball spot shot
HSV B.11 – One-pocket “beat-the-kiss” frozen rail cross-corner bank shot
HSV B.22 – One-pocket double kiss off the rail kick shot

Check them out.

My "lab" is my home basement, and it doesn't really have enough room for another table, and I am kind of attached to the Olhaussen I have since it was previously owned by the late, great Robert Byrne. However, a local pool hall just installed a new Diamond, so I can film some stuff there when I am so inclined.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cmon, dr. You don't need to convince us you need a mobile filming rig. Just put it on the account...whatever you need.
I like the way you think. I'll see what my Department Head thinks about that. I'll brace myself for the mocking laughter. :(

Regards,
Dave

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
some 5s could improve their game a half level just by learning the techniques you show in the first 2 minutes.

We’ve all screwed up the hanger at some point in our pool experiences. Otherwise, Dr. Dave wouldn’t have felt the need to address it. But just wanted to add. . .

A friend and frequent opponent of mine that has a SL of 6, constantly hits the hanger too full with top and can’t understand why it hangs up. Just thought I should add, “some 6’s” to the conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave is getting better and better! Gratz. Another great Video!
P.s 1080 views so far 143 likes and ZERO dislikes! ;)

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
You mention hitting rail first as an option.

To me hanger implies as close to going in without going in.
If this is the case, you 9.5/10 aren't going to be able to/want to go rail first.

Too uncontrollable.

I think overall you put together a nice video and good work.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
You mention hitting rail first as an option.

To me hanger implies as close to going in without going in.
If this is the case, you 9.5/10 aren't going to be able to/want to go rail first.

Too uncontrollable.
Agreed. Going rail first is definitely not desirable when there are other options.

I think overall you put together a nice video and good work.
Thank you. This video was fun to record, and it was excellent practice.

Regards,
Dave