Why is slow nap cloth no longer used?

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the big reason is that it's just not as fun. Faster cloth gives you way more options with way less effort.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the big reason is that it's just not as fun. Faster cloth gives you way more options with way less effort.
That and its tougher and easier to maintain. No pilling(the little fur balls) so way less brushing/vacuuming is needed.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Napped or looped is cheaper cloth.
Better weaving technology.
Longer wearing.

There are several different brands of billiard cloth, but basically only two types: Napped and Worsted. Napped billiard cloth is considered standard and is generally included with most tables purchased by consumers. Worsted billiard cloth is a higher quality and is noted for its enhanced playability and durability.

Napped cloth is a loop weave, and has a “nap” to it as the name describes. It requires more brushing, a little more maintenance, and may slow the ball down a bit in standard play. If you’re an average player and want to save a little bit of money on your table purchase, napped cloth may be right for you.

Worsted cloth is a flatter weave and is more expensive, but it promotes a faster play of ball and prolongs the life of the cloth. If you want professional-grade playability from your table, and want to ensure the quality of your cloth doesn’t deteriorate in the future, worsted is your best choice.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Napped or looped is cheaper cloth.
Better weaving technology.
Longer wearing.

There are several different brands of billiard cloth, but basically only two types: Napped and Worsted. Napped billiard cloth is considered standard and is generally included with most tables purchased by consumers. Worsted billiard cloth is a higher quality and is noted for its enhanced playability and durability.

Napped cloth is a loop weave, and has a “nap” to it as the name describes. It requires more brushing, a little more maintenance, and may slow the ball down a bit in standard play. If you’re an average player and want to save a little bit of money on your table purchase, napped cloth may be right for you.

Worsted cloth is a flatter weave and is more expensive, but it promotes a faster play of ball and prolongs the life of the cloth. If you want professional-grade playability from your table, and want to ensure the quality of your cloth doesn’t deteriorate in the future, worsted is your best choice.
You sell cloth?? That was tight. I'd buy from you after that. ;)

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is nap cloth no longer used?

Because it is a slower cloth and its harder to play on since you have to hit the cue ball harder. You actually needed a stroke to get around the table playing on a nap cloth.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I heard it was because Simonis came out with 860 just for 9-ball. Simonis 860, Texas Express, TV balls were the ingredients to help showcase pool on TV back in the 80's/90's.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would you prefer to play golf and putt on greens that were slow and less smooth than putting on greens that were fast and smooth?

Your putting stroke changes and slow is definitely not better than fast and that applies both to golf as well as with your pool stroke.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Have you ever played on it? Its like rolling a giant bowling ball through corn stalks.

My home table of 17 years is slow nap cloth.

I got excited when the IPT used slow nap cloth.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
slow cloth and slow greens in golf make it better for the better player.

in pool as said above you need a stronger stroke with slow cloth. fast cloth makes the game easier and for many more fun. but has changed pool from what it was.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My home table of 17 years is slow nap cloth.

I got excited when the IPT used slow nap cloth.

Yes, the IPT was my first experience playing on it. Not that I played in the IPT, but they put that cloth on the Gold Crowns at my famous local pool hall. The pros had lint rollers with them and would roll it on the tables. You could see the CB carve or depress lanes as it rolled down the table, it was silly, and not something I care to try again.

Tom Cruise

Registered
So different

I grew up on the slow cloth with larger pockets (5" approx) and used to spin the ball around the table.

When I came back to the game last year, the new style of table really threw me off. My spin game was off and the cloth and tiny pockets made it even worse. I've finally gotten better at it but still struggle with speed as the ball just keeps rolling sometimes.

Modern pool seems more sterile to me than the old version. IDK, maybe it was the cigarette smoke inside that gave it more ambiance :cool:

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I find that using english is magnified. Slight off center shots show. I witnessed this first hand when one of the places I play pool puts new cloth on. Then I experienced it in a couple other places when they changed the cloth. Our home league table just got new cloth, stupid fast. I told the other players on the team, try not to use English on longer shots.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slow cloth & big pockets DOES make for better control (Whitey seldom gets away so easy). The lint & grit that more rapidly accumulates on carded cloth always made any ‘slow roll’ shot extra risky also, so your stroke was usually more consistently firm.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I heard it was because Simonis came out with 860 just for 9-ball. Simonis 860, Texas Express, TV balls were the ingredients to help showcase pool on TV back in the 80's/90's.

Yes, this is correct. The faster cloth came with the beginning of the nine ball era. It was suitable for the pro players and its popularity was almost instant, as amateur players could suddenly do a lot more with the cue ball, and it was easier to keep the table clean.

Pool is a better game on the faster cloth. When he created the IPT, Sigel predicted that the return to slower cloth would give the old guard a distinct advantage. He was badly mistaken.