Cool article about Chelsea Billiards, NYC

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Chelsea Billiards, my favorite pool room of all time.

New York's Chelsea Billiards: Last Home for the Hustler. Sharpshooters can still pocket a fast buck in this dank, old-fashioned pool joint. It's a scene out of Hollywood.

DAVID RYNECKI COLUMBIA NEWS SERVICE

April 7, 1993

They come with names like Skeeter, Spanish Eddie and Blood.

Surrounded by framed photographs of the legendary Willie Mosconi and Minnesota Fats, they are the ones with the steady hands covered in blue chalk dust who stalk a table with surgical maneuvers, rarely looking for the reaction of an opponent.

When they stroke the ball it is not the overpowering, macho smash of a novice. Their touch is gentle, barely a physical effort.

Some say the hustlers are dead. But at Chelsea Billiards, in Lower Manhattan, they gather nightly.

Carrying finely made cue sticks in leather cases, they enter the room one by one. They give the joint the once-over and walk to the center table, where a small gathering watches two of the best players in the house.

The scene is pure Hollywood.

"The first time I walked into Chelsea Billiards I recognized it," says John Lewis, programming director for the Billiard Congress of America, a national organization based in Iowa City. "It's just like 20 years ago, when I used to gamble. You walk in at 2 a.m., and you've got to get past 20 hustlers."

Since the 1986 box-office smash "The Color of Money" turned pool into a yuppie craze, billiard halls around the country have taken on a new look.
Gone for the most part are the dank and dingy, linoleum-floor pool halls with flashing neon signs. They could not keep up with changing times. Famous halls such as Julian's and Ames are gone, replaced by "nouvelle" pool, where well-dressed men and women socialize and shoot a few leisurely games of stripes and solids.

There are fewer and fewer rooms for sharpshooters to find a fast buck, Lewis says.

"Most upscale billiard rooms have no need for hustlers," Lewis says. "Most of the time they don't want to pay $10 to $15 for a table and they can scare off customers."

Although it is a product of the new trend and is barely five years old, Chelsea Billiards may be one of the last places for hustlers. While many of the patrons may know more about how to fit an Armani suit than how to hold a cue stick, Chelsea has achieved a clientele that blends accomplished and recreational players, Lewis said.

"We don't get trash in here," says Rolph Laube, a night manager. "We do get many players who know their game and want to shoot for money. Big money--$500 a rack."

The sharks often go unnoticed to the average patron as they prowl on the sidelines, waiting for the unsuspecting sucker, called a fish or a guppy, to agree to a relaxed game.

"Hey, you want to shoot some, just for table time?" they ask.
As sharpshooters watch from the sidelines or practice alone at a corner table, they are oblivious to the sounds of a couple giggling over a missed shot and a cue ball sent flying over the rail.

"This is a great place to come with a date," says Fred Pollack, a 28-year-old salesman who stopped by with his girlfriend.

Three tables away, a group of four men, impeccably dressed in oxfords and slacks, stand watching as the Fat Man, a rotund regular, sets his pudgy fingers upon the cue stick and applies his smooth stroke, knocking the cue ball into the four ball. It careens off three rails and finally sinks into a corner pocket.
"Damn that's fine shooting," says one man, as the shooter picks up a few loose bills.

The hustlers keep their distance from the couples, but not from the regular flow of young men venturing for the first time into the 55-table room.
"However it started out, Chelsea has turned into one of the last action rooms," Lewis says, referring to the legendary pool rooms where scenes from the 1961 film "The Hustler" happened almost nightly.

The sharks gather, hoping for action.

"Look, look at the fish, that fish is mine," says Brent, a barrel-chested man dressed in jeans and an old sweat shirt. He likes to sit on a bench fronting the two main action tables and scan the room for pretty girls in fur coats and the occasional chump who will accept his offer of $10 or $20 a game. "That fish is never going to leave. He just doesn't know."

But the fish doesn't bite, this time.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played there in the 90’s (I think it was ‘98). Big room. Three 12’ snooker tables at the front door. I met John Delaveaux’s wife, Martha, and she convinced me to buy his paperback, Smart Pool, The Mind Game. Nice lady.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Chelsea Billiards, my favorite pool room of all time.

New York's Chelsea Billiards: Last Home for the Hustler. Sharpshooters can still pocket a fast buck in this dank, old-fashioned pool joint. It's a scene out of Hollywood.

DAVID RYNECKI COLUMBIA NEWS SERVICE

April 7, 1993

They come with names like Skeeter, Spanish Eddie and Blood.

Surrounded by framed photographs of the legendary Willie Mosconi and Minnesota Fats, they are the ones with the steady hands covered in blue chalk dust who stalk a table with surgical maneuvers, rarely looking for the reaction of an opponent.

When they stroke the ball it is not the overpowering, macho smash of a novice. Their touch is gentle, barely a physical effort.

Some say the hustlers are dead. But at Chelsea Billiards, in Lower Manhattan, they gather nightly.

Carrying finely made cue sticks in leather cases, they enter the room one by one. They give the joint the once-over and walk to the center table, where a small gathering watches two of the best players in the house.

The scene is pure Hollywood.

"The first time I walked into Chelsea Billiards I recognized it," says John Lewis, programming director for the Billiard Congress of America, a national organization based in Iowa City. "It's just like 20 years ago, when I used to gamble. You walk in at 2 a.m., and you've got to get past 20 hustlers."

Since the 1986 box-office smash "The Color of Money" turned pool into a yuppie craze, billiard halls around the country have taken on a new look.
Gone for the most part are the dank and dingy, linoleum-floor pool halls with flashing neon signs. They could not keep up with changing times. Famous halls such as Julian's and Ames are gone, replaced by "nouvelle" pool, where well-dressed men and women socialize and shoot a few leisurely games of stripes and solids.

There are fewer and fewer rooms for sharpshooters to find a fast buck, Lewis says.

"Most upscale billiard rooms have no need for hustlers," Lewis says. "Most of the time they don't want to pay $10 to $15 for a table and they can scare off customers."

Although it is a product of the new trend and is barely five years old, Chelsea Billiards may be one of the last places for hustlers. While many of the patrons may know more about how to fit an Armani suit than how to hold a cue stick, Chelsea has achieved a clientele that blends accomplished and recreational players, Lewis said.

"We don't get trash in here," says Rolph Laube, a night manager. "We do get many players who know their game and want to shoot for money. Big money--$500 a rack."

The sharks often go unnoticed to the average patron as they prowl on the sidelines, waiting for the unsuspecting sucker, called a fish or a guppy, to agree to a relaxed game.

"Hey, you want to shoot some, just for table time?" they ask.
As sharpshooters watch from the sidelines or practice alone at a corner table, they are oblivious to the sounds of a couple giggling over a missed shot and a cue ball sent flying over the rail.

"This is a great place to come with a date," says Fred Pollack, a 28-year-old salesman who stopped by with his girlfriend.

Three tables away, a group of four men, impeccably dressed in oxfords and slacks, stand watching as the Fat Man, a rotund regular, sets his pudgy fingers upon the cue stick and applies his smooth stroke, knocking the cue ball into the four ball. It careens off three rails and finally sinks into a corner pocket.
"Damn that's fine shooting," says one man, as the shooter picks up a few loose bills.

The hustlers keep their distance from the couples, but not from the regular flow of young men venturing for the first time into the 55-table room.
"However it started out, Chelsea has turned into one of the last action rooms," Lewis says, referring to the legendary pool rooms where scenes from the 1961 film "The Hustler" happened almost nightly.

The sharks gather, hoping for action.

"Look, look at the fish, that fish is mine," says Brent, a barrel-chested man dressed in jeans and an old sweat shirt. He likes to sit on a bench fronting the two main action tables and scan the room for pretty girls in fur coats and the occasional chump who will accept his offer of $10 or $20 a game. "That fish is never going to leave. He just doesn't know."

But the fish doesn't bite, this time.

And they really are almost all gone. Breaks my heart. And even more in knowing there's an entire generation and all the future ones, who will never know how it feels to walk into a room like that. Or, at least, the odds are very slim they ever will.

Damn... :sorry:

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was never in there. I always stayed away from the East side for the most part.
Think it was/is Eastside Billiards...apologies for the turned pic

Attachments

• C8408494-B630-4A59-9E71-C0B069E4E6D9.jpg
    C8408494-B630-4A59-9E71-C0B069E4E6D9.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 405

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What was the pool room on 86th street, near Lexington? Upstairs, table tennis there too...

NO 21st Street just short of 6th Ave -No players went to the place you're referring to.

Edit -SORRY i read that as "Was That the room on 86th etc

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure I follow...what do you mean? I was sure it was upper east side when i went there.

Chelsea is a neighborhood on the West Side of the borough of Manhattan in New York City. The district's boundaries are roughly 14th Street to the south, the Hudson River and West Street to the west, and Sixth Avenue to the east, with its northern boundary variously described as near the upper 20s or 34th Street, (From Wiki)

Chelsea Billiards was on 21st near 6th Ave. AMSTERDAM BILLIARDS opened its 2nd location on the upper east side 86th between 2nd and 3rd Avenues. They are now one location on 11th ST and 4th Avenue which was formerly Corner Billiards. It is Street Level as was Chelsea Billiards. Amsterdam's East Side location was in a basement-Eastside down the street and upstairs.

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
The closest room fitting this type of description and patronage would be Steinway.

And they really are almost all gone. Breaks my heart. And even more in knowing there's an entire generation and all the future ones, who will never know how it feels to walk into a room like that. Or, at least, the odds are very slim they ever will.

Damn... :sorry:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I played Spanish Eddy before I was old enough to grow sideburns....
...at the 7/11

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
East side billiards in NYC is still open, played there over Christmas visit with my sons- prices for pool in NYC are outrageous- I payed $15 hour per person during the day- 2 hours of pool with my sons cost almost $90 each time both at East side and at Amsterdam Billiards. Here in SW Florida daytime pool is free at any place I have visited- quite a difference!

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Rents in Manhattan and operating costs are higher than SW Florida. What Amsterdam pays in rent can buy a brand new 5 series BMW every month.
From my experience, if you play any where over 2 hours with a partner its worthwhile to get the daily power play at Amsterdam.

Next time you're in New York City, I suggest you check out the pool halls in Queens and Brooklyn. The rates are more affordable, 3 hour weekday special at Steinway was $20.

I recommend Steinway, it's like a Greek diner with pool tables.
Here is my meal from yesterday, have breakfast ring side at the Ginky Memorial at Steinway.

East side billiards in NYC is still open, played there over Christmas visit with my sons- prices for pool in NYC are outrageous- I payed $15 hour per person during the day- 2 hours of pool with my sons cost almost $90 each time both at East side and at Amsterdam Billiards. Here in SW Florida daytime pool is free at any place I have visited- quite a difference!

Attachments

• 61159203_137778783960816_34040287290458112_n.jpg
    61159203_137778783960816_34040287290458112_n.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 121

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rents in Manhattan and operating costs are higher than SW Florida. What Amsterdam pays in rent can buy a brand new 5 series BMW every month.
From my experience, if you play any where over 2 hours with a partner its worthwhile to get the daily power play at Amsterdam.

Next time you're in New York City, I suggest you check out the pool halls in Queens and Brooklyn. The rates are more affordable, 3 hour weekday special at Steinway was $20.

I recommend Steinway, it's like a Greek diner with pool tables.
Here is my meal from yesterday, have breakfast ring side at the Ginky Memorial at Steinway.

Yes I know I am from NY originally- have played many times at Steinway- just was trying to do something convenient as one son lives upper east side and one lower manhattan. I get it on NYC rents- always had my own home billiard room when living in the Northeast.