How do you turn the tide when you just don't "have it"

dquarasr

Registered
First post. Been a lurker for a while but only in fall of 2019 have I started playing in league.

Probably been covered many times but please, be gentle on a noob.

Tonight I played my absolute worst. I knew after I lost the first two racks (8-ball) that I was in trouble.

So, how do you turn the tide? I could not "see" shots. There are only so many times you can stand back up when you know you can't see the shot. I stood up so many friggin' times tonight because I could not see a shot it was embarrassing, and was close to being called for slow play.

What do you do to turn it around? I lost EVERY RACK tonight. I missed straight shots. I made difficult cut shots. I missed easy shots left. I missed easy shots right. I was a total hot mess.

I tried going back to fundamentals: contact point; stance; stroking through the cue ball; stroking through to the contact point. NOTHING worked. I tried relaxing. I tried being analytical. I tried saying "f-it" and just trusting my line up. NOTHING WORKED.

When faced with a couple of bad racks, what do you do to get yourself back in the game?!?

Please note I have recently been practicing and have a new mantra for me that worked very well: contact point; foot position; stance; get down on the shot; confirm contact point; align shoulder; ensure follow through to the CB to the perceived contact point. I have practiced and have been very happy with the results. But in league play tonight I couldn't make a shot to save my life.

Mental tips MOST welcome!!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You just started playing in league. It will take a while to get used to it. Any new situation can throw you off.

Practice more. Don't drink during league. Keep numerical track of your progress. Understand how conditions change in the various venues. Get lessons to check on your fundamentals. Read and watch videos and figure out which are useful to you.

The idea is to lift the level of your game so the bad spots won't be as low.

Blue11

Registered
One of the things I remind myself is it’s a game and don’t forget to enjoy it.
I was playing as a spare last night for a team and was up first. I missed 2 easy shots and got rattled. I reminded myself it’s a game and didn’t dwell on the shots I missed. Fortunately, I got another chance at the table and was able to run out. However, I was tentative with my stroke for the first 3 balls. I found myself fighting the pace/rhythm throughout the rest of the rack. It’s probably cliche but for the next rack, I didn’t think about precise shape, but more about a general area I wanted to be in for the next shot. That helped me not over analyze the shot, speed, english, rails, cloth... and I just checked the angle, address the shot, and shoot. This helped me loosen up a bit more and eventually, the rest just came together. I ended up winning my matches.
I’ve been in the same situation before and took it more seriously/personally and I really got down on myself. During those nights, I definitely shot worse as the night progressed. It’s not easy to get out of my own head and I end up thinking about shots/racks over and over. So I’ve recently started to consciously remind myself that it’s a game I like to play and have a lot of enjoyment playing it.
Not sure if this helps

CharlesUFarley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you're on the right track with focusing on the process of the shot.

I think you were feeling pressure or some form of stage fright and you were having trouble concentrating, but you just have to keep trying. Keep focusing on your set up, alignment, swinging straight.

Really bear down on staying relaxed and focusing on the shot, not the opponent, the score, the crowd, etc.

pab

Center ball can do it all
Silver Member
Bob Jewett has given you some great ideas. It would serve you well to invest time into doing what he said.

FWIW - we've all been there. It isn't a good feeling, but it isn't time to give up either. It is time to practice more. You'll be back in stroke before you know it.

Also - maybe check out Mark Wilson's pool clinic on YouTube.

dquarasr

Registered
Thanks for the responses. That's the strange thing. I felt very confident walking in because of my recent practice sessions. During warm up, though I knew something was off. I may have doomed myself right there. I know I should shake it off for next week, and I will. But I somehow need to figure out how to shake it off during a match.

I have traditionally been a slow starter. I have usually lost the first racks of a match, then start really clicking. But tonight, I had zero confidence I could turn it around.

I suppose it's going to be a matter of continuing to practice to hone the fundamentals and have the confidence to "stay the course" during matches.

It's funny, because I was counseled by my teammates last week that I use English too often to try to set up the next shot. Tonight nearly all my shots were neutral English, where I tried to control position strictly with CB angle and speed control. I wonder if that had something to do with getting me off my usual game. Hmmm, something to think about.

Either way, I appreciate the responses. Thanks.

The ProRailbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You just started playing in league. It will take a while to get used to it. Any new situation can throw you off.

Practice more. Don't drink during league. Keep numerical track of your progress. Understand how conditions change in the various venues. Get lessons to check on your fundamentals. Read and watch videos and figure out which are useful to you.

The idea is to lift the level of your game so the bad spots won't be as low.

Thanks for the tips Bob.

I have a couple questions though.

1) I've been been in the same situation as the OP, is there anything that you would suggest trying during a match like that? Or do you just ride it out the the best you can, then try to figure it out after the match?

2) When you say don't drink during league, are you referring to alcohol, or liquids in general?

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Since it is league, you might try to have a couple of beers to loosen up before you play,
but if you were looking for something a little more pool related....
Some nights you step to the table and you feel alright, you're not stuffed, you're not dizzy,
you don't have a headache, and everything seems ok, then you find that you can't make a
shot to save your life. You can't make a shot, nothing is working. In all honesty it's
probably too late to do anything about it. But when I see this soon enough what I do is
start to play defense and don't even try to make a string any shots together, my object
at this point is get ball in hand. If I can get that working then I might try to string a couple
of shots together until I build a rhythm. I don't try to win games when this happens, I try
to win innings, and all that defense generally gets under their skin to a point and takes
them out of their game then I have a chance.

... or a blowjob, I thought that was a pretty good idea

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm of the opinion that you can't come up with what you haven't got. In the bottom ranks, it's all skill. So back to the drawing board. You can expect many trips here.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the responses. That's the strange thing. I felt very confident walking in because of my recent practice sessions. During warm up, though I knew something was off. I may have doomed myself right there. I know I should shake it off for next week, and I will. But I somehow need to figure out how to shake it off during a match.

I have traditionally been a slow starter. I have usually lost the first racks of a match, then start really clicking. But tonight, I had zero confidence I could turn it around.

I suppose it's going to be a matter of continuing to practice to hone the fundamentals and have the confidence to "stay the course" during matches.

It's funny, because I was counseled by my teammates last week that I use English too often to try to set up the next shot. Tonight nearly all my shots were neutral English, where I tried to control position strictly with CB angle and speed control. I wonder if that had something to do with getting me off my usual game. Hmmm, something to think about.

Either way, I appreciate the responses. Thanks.

What level player are you?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the tips Bob.

I have a couple questions though.

1) I've been been in the same situation as the OP, is there anything that you would suggest trying during a match like that? Or do you just ride it out the the best you can, then try to figure it out after the match?

2) When you say don't drink during league, are you referring to alcohol, or liquids in general?
For in-match, try to make sure you are accurately visualizing the shot and that you are looking clearly at the object ball with sharp focus for about a second just before you shoot (and through the shot).

Stay hydrated. I should have said that.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The answer to this is hard to put into words, but . . .

Everyone who plays pool goes through this. Different skill levels have different ways of getting past it.

Many players will tell you a good pre-shot routine will get you past it. I don’t believe that is entirely true. But a good pre-shot routine is a great start to getting past it. In the end, you have to let your analytical brain (brain 1) get out of the way, so your intuitive brain (brain 2) can execute the shot. Rely on a few, tried and true, pre-shot routine processes, to get brain 1 out of the way. Then make the shot.

You have to go through this process many times before you find what works. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
For in-match, try to make sure you are accurately visualizing the shot and that you are looking clearly at the object ball with sharp focus for about a second just before you shoot (and through the shot).

After stepping away for 15 years and now back I can relate OP. Bob's quote above is simple and very true, almost so obvious you can see right past it when your mind isn't focused. Especially with your comment about use of english and your team mates getting into your head.

Personally, I've started my warm up routine taking stupid simple practice shots, drawing the cue ball for fun, positioning balls to be un-missable, and mixing slow, light rolls with firm pocket slams. In my case, possibly yours, it's about stroke confidence combined with the quote above.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
First post. Been a lurker for a while but only in fall of 2019 have I started playing in league.

Tonight I played my absolute worst. I knew after I lost the first two racks (8-ball) that I was in trouble.

So, how do you turn the tide? I could not "see" shots. There are only so many times you can stand back up when you know you can't see the shot. I stood up so many friggin' times tonight because I could not see a shot it was embarrassing, and was close to being called for slow play.

What do you do to turn it around? I lost EVERY RACK tonight. I missed straight shots. I made difficult cut shots. I missed easy shots left. I missed easy shots right. I was a total hot mess.

I tried going back to fundamentals: contact point; stance; stroking through the cue ball; stroking through to the contact point. NOTHING worked. I tried relaxing. I tried being analytical. I tried saying "f-it" and just trusting my line up. NOTHING WORKED.

When faced with a couple of bad racks, what do you do to get yourself back in the game?!?

Please note I have recently been practicing and have a new mantra for me that worked very well: contact point; foot position; stance; get down on the shot; confirm contact point; align shoulder; ensure follow through to the CB to the perceived contact point. I have practiced and have been very happy with the results. But in league play tonight I couldn't make a shot to save my life.

Change cues! I know this sounds trite but believe me when I tell you it will make a difference. Even picking up a house cue is a good alternative when you are feeling this way.

P.S. You're right. It is a "mental" thing and you need to put your mental energy somewhere else. Like getting the feel of a different cue (which surprisingly will feel better than the cue you had been playing with). I don't know why stuff like this works but it does. Even Efren would often change cues in mid match.

Last edited:

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When this happens to me it's usually because I'm not staying down on the shots. I may not be moving much but it's enough to miss. Sometimes I realize it after a couple shots and other times not for a couple of games before I say to myself Hey, you must be jumping up. I don't play on a league anymore, just weekly tournaments so it is sometimes hard to self diagnose. You can have team members watch you and see if your head/body moves on the shot.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member

You have to figure out a trigger to re-center yourself.

What do you do when you're really pissed off and need to calm down? What do you do when shit hits the fan at work and you need to concentrate?

Sometimes I need to excuse myself to the rest room and splash some water in my face. Sometimes I need a drink. Like Jay said, sometimes picking up another cue will be different enough in your hands to help you focus. It seems you "bounced around" a lot in your thought process: " I tried relaxing. I tried being analytical. I tried saying "f-it" and just trusting my line up"; but you didn't give any of them a chance to work.

I know it's much easier said than done, but you have to bear down and stay that way.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
great question
and I can relate
no great answer here
but an honest one

"keep playing"

I'm finding that the more time I put into pool
the more pool is there for me when I need it

putting some "good luck" in the air for you as well
coz