Field Goal Drill

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think what you wrote here is pretty good --- in theory.

But here's my opinion --- and I'm pretty positive about this ---- The believing in yourself part --- the sooner you get that, the better --- and boy are you lucky if you've got it before you hit your first pool ball -- ever.

That's the secret to success ---- The sooner you can get that belief in yourself going, the quicker you will improve.

Once you believe in yourself, you can stay objective about the learning process. Confident players aren't afraid to fail. In fact, they fail often, but it doesn't debilitate them in the way that it does to a player who lacks confidence.

Of course you'll get more confidence as you become a better player, but that's not what I'm referring to. It's a level of confidence in yourself as a person, regardless of what challenges you undertake.

So if you don't have it to begin with, can you get it? Yes, but it's hard because you will have to deal with your insecurities in your personality and solve whatever is causing them.

I'm sure you've seen players who you thought were just naturally great. A big part of what you're looking at is confidence from day-1.
this is a great post fran
thanks for the reply
i agree 100% with what you say
having the personality to overcome adversity (confidence) and perseverance goes a long way for success in many things in life

Last edited:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
I used to know a player who practiced drills every day and became an expert at doing drills but whose game didn't improve at all. Many players will revert back to their old selves once a game starts, especially with stroke drills. It takes guts to apply what you learned in a drill in a real game, especially when there's something at stake.

Very important point-
you need to put the things together. Workin on drills can and will help for very sure. But you have to PLAY.
Without practicing competition you will never really improve.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think what you wrote here is pretty good --- in theory.

But here's my opinion --- and I'm pretty positive about this ---- The believing in yourself part --- the sooner you get that, the better --- and boy are you lucky if you've got it before you hit your first pool ball -- ever.

That's the secret to success ---- The sooner you can get that belief in yourself going, the quicker you will improve.

Once you believe in yourself, you can stay objective about the learning process. Confident players aren't afraid to fail. In fact, they fail often, but it doesn't debilitate them in the way that it does to a player who lacks confidence.

Of course you'll get more confidence as you become a better player, but that's not what I'm referring to. It's a level of confidence in yourself as a person, regardless of what challenges you undertake.

So if you don't have it to begin with, can you get it? Yes, but it's hard because you will have to deal with your insecurities in your personality and solve whatever is causing them.

I'm sure you've seen players who you thought were just naturally great. A big part of what you're looking at is confidence from day-1.

I love this! Too many pool players see this type of thinking as self-help mumbo jumbo. But, as usual, you're right on track here. :thumbup:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bumping for those posters that have been posting about the stroke lately. This thread might be a good read.

r/DCP

Taking your drill into isolation, you can stroke the gap between two balls. Set it as tight as you can stand - maybe 15, 20 inches up the shaft and use a long stroke. Set it tighter for a shorter stroke.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love this! Too many pool players see this type of thinking as self-help mumbo jumbo. But, as usual, you're right on track here. :thumbup:

word
sometimes the simplest advice
is the best
good post fran
and bump brian

"if you believe it, you can achieve it"

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why the longer stroke? Are you saying that you shoot shots with a 15-20 inch followthrough?

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Taking your drill into isolation, you can stroke the gap between two balls. Set it as tight as you can stand - maybe 15, 20 inches up the shaft and use a long stroke. Set it tighter for a shorter stroke.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why the longer stroke? Are you saying that you shoot shots with a 15-20 inch followthrough?

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Scott,
I wondered the same thing. I assume he is just taking things to the extreme, sort of figuring if you can stroke that far through the balls without hitting them that's better than going 6-8 inches through the balls.

r/DCP

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I first was shown a drill like this (about 1965) it was sort of reversed. Set up a shot where you are cueing over the rail, such as shooting from the foot spot straight up the table. Place two chalks on the rail with some room on either side of the cue stick. After you shoot, notice if the chalks have moved. I wish I had paid more attention to that drill at the time.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps, then, this is the reason why I just cant seem to get over the hump? I still continue to hose up easy to medium difficult shots when I am at my table. This cost me a great deal when I played in the tournament at Evansville.

r/DCP

Try your drill with either left or right stun. It is hard but worth the effort.