Mental game ignoring the doubters

kopriva

I am convinced that every player deals in an unique way with his mental play. It's like all fundamentals. Find what works for you and be consistent. It's a long trip but if you belive your brain will also belive it. Ofc, some rules must be followed like deep breeding, focusing etc.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welder84...There most certainly are drills to not just improve your stroke, but also to ingrain it mentally and physically to the point where it's "bullet-proof"...meaning you never shoot until you're ready, and it's not "pressure sensitive"! They are best learned from an instructor. Tell us where you're located and maybe we can steer someone to you. I travel all over the country teaching...perhaps I can meet up with you. :D

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Now if you have drills to lengthen my stroke a little at a time I am all ears. Its not about being lazy for alot of us pool is a luxury, I play 3-6 hours a week max. Thanks

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Scott,
I would welcome the help and want to improve. I am in the Maryland area south of B-more.
Thanks

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been playing pool for 30 years and do not have much backswing past 90 degrees. I have won several local tournaments and have made a eighty ball run in straight pool. I also have beaten several 630-650 fargo rated players in tournaments over the years. My question is how to deal with negative people telling me I have no stroke, I then get self conscious and believe it. I have limited time and want to enjoy my game as is. Any advice for a unorthodox player would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

With everything you have stated above all I can say is ignore them. Some pool players will make comments like that just to get inside your head to get you to start thinking about your stroke while playing. It may be the only chance they have of beating you.

Try this on those making the negative comments.
For example, I noticed while you were lining up the shot that your body alignment on the shot line really looked off, did you notice that. :)

They are messing with you, so mess with them back.

Nick Varner when he received a negative comment would just say "thanks, yeah I'm working on that".

As Earl would say, Pool is a beautiful game played by ugly people. :)

Have fun and enjoy your ride. :)

John

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With everything you have stated above all I can say is ignore them. Some pool players will make comments like that just to get inside your head to get you to start thinking about your stroke while playing. It may be the only chance they have of beating you.
Try this on those making the negative comments.
For example, I noticed while you were lining up the shot that your body alignment on the shot line really looked off, did you notice that. :)
They are messing with you, so mess with them back.
Nick Varner when he received a negative comment would just say "thanks, yeah I'm working on that".
As Earl would say, Pool is a beautiful game played by ugly people. :)
Have fun and enjoy your ride. :)
John
You are absolutely correct with what I highlighted in blue!!
Don Watson used to say...."Just remember friend, if a guy is a talker....he's also a listener".
And that is the gospel.
:thumbup: