Are the slates of a Brunswick Table,SPORT KING, mfg.in 1956 interchangeable
with slates of a Gold Crown 1,2 and 3 ?

Thanks,
Bcl

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glenn..thanks.

Is the SportKing 'slate' brunstone or slate?

What is the difference? Playability the same?

...thanks

Wait, wait, don't tell me...

I'm not Glen - but I'm fairly certain Brunswick didn't introduce brunstone til a decade
or so after your table.

Dale

realkingcobra

Silver Member

I'm not Glen - but I'm fairly certain Brunswick didn't introduce brunstone til a decade
or so after your table.

Dale

Wrong answer, sorry. Because of the war effort and Brunswicks involvement in it, they stopped mining their slate quarries around the mid 40's, so no 9fts that the rails bolted straight down on had real slate used in them, that includes the Anniversaries and Cenntennials, which were before the Sportkings:eek:

realkingcobra

Silver Member

or so after your table.

Dale
Brunswick didn't go back to using slate until mid production of the GC3'S later in the mid 70's.

9-ball B

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
interchangeable slates

Are the slates of a Brunswick Table,SPORT KING, mfg.in 1956 interchangeable
with slates of a Gold Crown 1,2 and 3 ?

Thanks,
Bcl

Yes the slates are interchangeable,but, if you are using it for a Gold Crown I or II, you may have to grind out the cut-outs at the foot slate so that the scoring wheels don't rest on the slate. The scoring wheels are smaller on the Gold Crown III and will not touch the slate.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wrong answer, sorry. Because of the war effort and Brunswicks involvement in it, they stopped mining their slate quarries around the mid 40's, so no 9fts that the rails bolted straight down on had real slate used in them, that includes the Anniversaries and Cenntennials, which were before the Sportkings:eek:

I have owned 4 Anniversaries and Centennials - and a handful of GCIs - all of which had slate beds.
BTW - the Sport King was produced during the same period as the Anniversary.

Dale

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I have owned 4 Anniversaries and Centennials - and a handful of GCIs - all of which had slate beds.
BTW - the Sport King was produced during the same period as the Anniversary.

Dale

Now you're saying the GC1'S also had real slate instead of brunstone, ok;)