Black leaf Dufferin leather wrap - Info Request

TheChosenWon

Registered
I recently acquired the following 2 Dufferin and I'm really intrigued by the one with the leather wrap and information is sparse on Dufferin's in general.

I'm hoping someone here can drop some knowledge on these two.

Both are stamped (embossed) 18 oz. The one with the leather wrap has a black leaf (black background and leaf appears gold to me).

Both shaft are very thin; probably in the 10 to 10.5mm. The black leaf one has a black ferrule on it (sorry; no picture of it at this time).

In this forum, I found another example of the black leaf (as this one); but no leather wrap. To be honest; at first I though it was a tennis racket wrap or something; but it's so well done that I'm thinking it might be true to the cue. Could have also been a linen in the past and then converted to leather. It's well wrapped/glued and it feels right.

With no further due (apologies for potatoe quality pictures; I downgraded them to keep the size reasonable):

Attachments

• DSC_0090.jpg
    DSC_0090.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 536
  • DSC_0091.jpg
    DSC_0091.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 515
  • DSC_0095.jpg
    DSC_0095.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 483
  • DSC_0097.jpg
    DSC_0097.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 500
  • DSC_0093.jpg
    DSC_0093.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 534
Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
That wrap came straight out of the factory.
....late 70s...early 80s....probably still got a couple butts in storage....
...I've only seen them as snooker cues.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
pt you are the Duffmaster. I would not of guessed that was an original wrap.
Cool cues and that fat butt must be a handful:wink::wink:

15cherries

15cherries
Silver Member
Made in Canada

PT109 is correct, the red leaf was the base model snooker cue that sold for $39 Canadian and the gold leaf was an upgrade that was about $69. They have an aluminium "target joint" and the largest shaft available from Dufferin was 12mm. The really nice Dufferins for conversion are the ebony Trophy models and the ebony Devonshire models, find one of those and you can make a great pool cue.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
That wrap is vinyl, not leather - certainly factory installed. Those were all the rage in the 1970s.

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The wrapped cue is called the Royal and the other is a Flame. In 2000 the Royal sold for $159.99 Can and the Flame sold for $84.99. They show the Royal only being available in 11 mm and the Flame in 10, 11 and 12.5 mm.

In a 2002 price list they still show the Royal but indicate "only while quantities last".

TheChosenWon

Registered
You guy's are great! Thanks for sharing info on those.

I wrote 10m to 10.5m; but in reality; it's more like 11mm for both.

I might get the Flame one refinished by a local cue maker (only 1 left in Montreal as far as I know) since the left side of the chevron seems to be sticking out a hair. I'll get both shaft cleaned up and re-tip (I like Triangle tips; so it won't be far off from original)

I tried to Flame one last week and it brought me back to my early days when I started playing pool 25 years ago. Being Canadian; Dufferin is all there was on the walls for years (and still some today). My first cue was a Dufferin as well. I'm now impartial to Predator, but since I play league on bar box (VNEA); having an old school Dufferin in my case seems like it will be fitting once in a while. Not sure if it was nostalgia or Canadian spirit; but when I saw them on local listings; I felt like I had to rescue them.

Thanks again for the info!